Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread
    Chuck Guest

Default baseboard transition for different floor levels

Looking for a slick baseboard transition method when the finish floor height changes from one room to another, say by a 1/2 inch.

SJP Guest

Default Re: baseboard transition for different floor level

You have a few options, but my first choice would be to run the base level through both rooms. This means of course that you will have to scribe or rip down the base at it transistions to the room with the higher floor, but it will look at lot nicer this way, IMO

Steve

SJP Guest

Chuck

PS I would not worry about this if there is a jambed and cased doorway between the two rooms. The difference betweeen the two base heights in each room would not be too noticeable. Also, if you have a drywalled opening that requires the base to continue through the doorway, I would not rip down the base with anything less than 3 1/4" stock. Obviously the larger the base the less noticeable the ripped height will be.

Steve

Gary Katz Guest

Absolutely Ditto on Steve's advice, though we did one house where the hall base was 1 in. taller than the bedroom side and you could see it around the door jambs. We didn't catch it until after we'd based two bedrooms, but we still pulled it out and cut the bottom plinth taller (built up base).
    Gary

Steve Black Guest

chuck,

I just went through the same thing last week, in a Kit. to Living room in a non-cased opening. The living room was existing and about 3/8" taller. I miter returned the living room base at the edge of the kit. in the opening, on the corner of the opening and the kit.. I ran the kit. base over onto the living base and miter returned that base onto the living room base holding it back about 3/16". The kit base was also a slightly different profile. The only other option I could see was to use some sort of plinth block. I hope thats not too confusing, and makes some sort of sense.

Steve Black

Gary Katz Guest

Steve,
    Can you shoot a picture of that?
    Gary