Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread
    Derrell Day Guest

Default Window stool Router bit

Does anyone have a line on a router bit that will duplicate or at least mimic standard window stool profile?

Paul P Guest

Default Re: Window stool Router bit

I just use a 1/4" roundover on both sides of 5/4 stock. But try rockler or amana they have lots of profiles.

GACC Dallas Guest

Check with Amana.

They have one. I have bought two over the years from my local saw shop. But it's made for a router table. Not for your standard router set-up.

Ed.

Steve Guest

There's a standard ogee bit (I think it's called a reverse ogee) that will do the typical profile in two passes. You set the bit for the full ogee cut to do the underside; then raise the bit so that you just do a round-over on top.

Kevin Guest

When adding horns to windows that dont have any casing (production building). What measurements are commonly used?

Derrell Day Guest

Kevin,
    I use 1 1/2" to 1 3/4" reveal on each side because it allows me to cut my returns in my miter box cleanly. I let the stool stand proud of the wall by whatever the stock comes in, i.e., if the stool material is 5 1/4" and the window opening is 4 1/2" deep, I end up with about a 3/4" jut.
    I've done deeper stools for potted plants and such in areas that will not be obtrusive.

Paul P Guest

Derrell,
    Those wider stools can look really nice. I made an elaborate window for my brother and his wife using 5/4 by 12" clear pine for the stool. I was hesitant to do it but it came out looking nice. It is used as a breakfast table, I made corbels to support the stool and used tile/wood trim combination for the "apron" that runs between the corbels. The rest of the window is dressed up with sides to mimic columns and the top is built out with crown.

Gary Katz Guest

Paul,
    That window stool/trim sounds great! I wish we could post pictures. I like the combination of wood/tile across the 'apron'--very Arts & Crafts looking.
    Gary