Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread
    Richard Guest

Default Cost $ to install baseboards.

I would like to have some baseboards installed in my home (So.Cal.) What would be the normal cost? Does a finish carpenter charge per foot plus cutting corners (i.e $1.50 plf + $25 per cut corner)or is there a straight price that includes corners (i.e. $4.50 plf including corners). Does price include the removal of old baseboard or is this at an extra cost? I have 334 feet with 12 outside and 20 inside corners all cuts will be 45 degrees. just trying to do my homework as to how much it will cost.

Thanks,
    Richard

rob Guest

Default Re: Cost $ to install baseboards.

I charge 2 bucks a foot for 2-5 inch base that will be painted.that just to install.tear out and removal .50-1.50 thats my starting point.small jobs more, large jobs less.new construction i dont charge by the foot. have a great day!

Sean Guest

You should be asking the guy's your thinking of hiring.

Sean

marvin Guest

All cuts 45 degrees!!!!!
    A perfect walled house?

Tom Guest

Sean's got it right.

Richard Robles Guest

Sean and Tom- I am thinking about doing it myself if it is not to expensive and hard. I was also asked by a neighbor if I could do her house and how much if I decided to tackle the project myself and was trying to see how much I would be saving and what to charge her.

Marvin- I am not doing a whole house I am doing 4 rooms.

As for my experince I am not a carpenter by any means have done some woodworking and have some skill. Just looking for some help. if you can offer it up.

Thanks

RL Guest

Richard,
    Certainly this can be a doit yourself deal.

I feel like the king of doit yourselfers after doing everything on my new addition but the rough carpentry.

I would recommend painting baseboards (You can totally hide the mistakes)

But, the right tools make the job look great. a power miter saw is the way to go. a finish nailer is a must. a few practice cuts on those "perfect 45's" will be required.

My save all was using polyseam seal all purpose calk on the joints and top edge of the baseboard before painting. Put a thin bead along the top and corners, run a wet finger along the edge, wipe up any excess with a wet rag...smoooooth!

If you don't have the tools i would suggest borrowing them.

I think that if you have gone so far as to read this forum, then you are ready to take this sucker on, Read on down the posts and check out coping and measuring techniques.

Have fun, Oh yeah, How are your knees and back???

Tom Guest

Richard - I stand by my (Sean's) comment. But hear me out. I, too, am a DIY'er. Sure, being retired and owning property allows me more "wiggle room" than the average homeowner - in regard to taking on a project. And while I understand your reasoning, I still think much depends on your circumstances. In addition, I believe that it's risky business to solicit costs on the web. As far as I know, prices often vary depending on the locale. All the more reason for talking with local workmen. Further, how do you know the cost info' you're receiving is legitimate? This is not to denigrate the honest contractors who want to provide assistance via the web. But, for myself, I'd be very reluctant to take this source of pricing "to the bank." I'm sure you can see the problems this (could) lead to.

I suggest that do what many of us have done. And that is; talk with local contractors and see what they have to offer. Then figure the cost of materials if you bought it on your own. If you're doing it for someone else, how much do you think your time is worth - per hour - or for the job? If you're doing it for yourself, then the time is yours and chances are you'll save some $$$. Maybe.

There's nothing wrong with trying something on your own. You have the basic skills. But, is it "worth it" to do yourself? For example; I may have the know-it-all to repair the CV joints on my old jeep. But, should I? Or should I have it done by a competent mechanic? I'm the only one who can answer that - after I've thought it out. The process is the same for what you're considering.

Under discussion here are "costs". You are not necessarily seeking advice on construction techniques. So, if you take the time to do it right, your answer should become obvious.

Just an opinion.

Richard Guest

Thanks Tom for the feedback. The only contractor who has returned my call was $3.00 a ft . I have called 2 others and they have not called back. I am going dowm to the molding store today and see if I can get some names of local contractors. I also talked to one other guy I ran into at the store and he charges $1.50 a foot to install and $25 a corners. As for taking the prices "to the bank" I had no intention on doing this. was just trying to get an idea. I have decided to go ahead and do it myself just for the learing experience. The baseboards or just simple paintable grade and run about .55 a foot.

Thanks

Sean Guest

Dito Tom.
    And Richard, have fun, trims a blast.

Sean

marvin Guest

A great book about trim is, Trim Carpentry Techniques by Craig Savage also I bet JLC has an artcle .
    Marvin

Richard Guest

Thank You all for your help and advice. I have decided to tackle the job myself! It gives me an excuse to go buy a new toy (finish nailer gun). and learn something new!

Richard