Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread
    Bob Guest

Default how to clean shingle marks off of vinyl siding

Yep, I did it. I left two (experienced!) guys alone to strip the roof. I figured, how hard could it be to strip a roof? Anyway, the tarp covering the side of the house fell down and no one noticed. Now I have hundreds of black marks on the siding where the shingles hit on the way down. The siding is old vinyl and I dont think that I can get a match. Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can clean this off? I have thought of Goof Off, or Spray Nine, and I am wondering what else people would recommend. A contractor I know said to try gasoline, but I'd really rather not if I can avoid it. Im open to suggestions, thanks very much in advance.

Bob

bill burns Guest

Default Re: how to clean shingle marks off of vinyl siding

kerosene.

Bob Guest

Hmm, kerosene might work the same way gasoline will. I'm curious about two things:

1- will it damage the vinyl(ie, soften it, etc)?

2- will it cause the black marks to smear?

john Guest

yes and yes.about the only thing we found for exactly that is 409 etc.you are on the right track but be prepared to spend a bunch of time on it and when you get done you may(probably)end up with the spots that you cleaned being alot lighter than the rest.hopefully you have a good customer that will see you did the best you could and will belive you when you tell them that they will blend in after time..which they will

john Guest

Default Re: how to clean shingle marks off of vinyl siding *NM*

Craig Guest

Another good try is Simple Green. It won't kill the owner's plants or grass...so this won't turn into a Superfund site.

bill burns Guest

bob, the kerosene won't damage the siding, and anything will cause the marks to smear , then you wipe the smear off!!

john Guest

bill you should talk to your sales rep about petroleum sorry dont know exactly how its spelled products and vinyl siding,they dont mate well

JB Guest

WD40, it works.