Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Gutter removal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gutter removal

I need to temporarily remove my aluminum gutters to paint the facia. How can I pull out the long gutter spikes without damaging the gutters?

Re: Gutter removal

grip the head with a good pair of vice grips , using the the side of the vice grips. have the handle above the top of gutter, then tap the side of the tool with a hammer. this should get them out.
    if not, get a drill bit the size of the spike and drill the head off each spike. then pull gutter off.

Comment

take the curved end of a flat bar,put the two teeth(?)on either side of the spike from the back side tap wth hammer till the head comes away from the face of the gutter,come to the front of the gutter using the same end of flatbar and hook it to the spike head tap it with your hammer and it will come out without hurting your gutter.darn,alot harder to tell how than it is to do

Comment

use a flatbar.take the curved end and put the twoteeth(?)on either side of the spike head from the inside of the gutter.tap the flatbar enough to get the head away from the face of the gutter come around to the front of it using the same end and hook it to the nailhead,hit the bar with your hammer and the spike will come out.simple eh?only problem you have now is when you put it back you will be putting the nail right back in the same hole-nothing for the nail to grip there are at least two ways around that that i can think of offhand if you are interested post back

Comment

i recommend buying the gutter screws when you reinstall. may need a long drill (8") for pilot holes.

Comment

The gutter screws are sized so they're a good tight fit in the existing spike holes. They hold well, but be careful not to strip the heads with the square drive, as they are rather soft aluminum.

Comment

Hi Howie,

I never tried to save the spikes. I snip them with a bolt cutter, then replace with screws as mentioned above.

Good luck :-)

Bill

Comment

Howie,

By the way. Maybe this will sound like a dumb question..... but, why do you need to paint behind the gutter? Not trying to be a wise guy, just not sure it will do much to protect the wood.

Bill :-)

Comment

i wondered the same thing but ......

Comment

Ive used the locking plier method before as well as a block of wood inside the gutter and a prybar. Both have worked well.

Comment

Working...
                    X