Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread
    SRS Guest

Default Covering wood foundation

Hi,
    I am looking for ideas to cover a wood foundation from just below grade to the siding. The foundation is covered with foundation sealer (tar)and black plastic. I would like to make it look better where it leaves the ground up to the siding. I have seen a product called groundbreaker, made of fiberglass but it didn't look to good. Hardiboard is not recommended for exterior, but it would be easy to coat with cement and would look pretty natural. Any ideas would be appreciated.

TIM WILLIAMS Guest

Default Re: Covering wood foundation

SRS,some companies that make pressure treated decking also make pressure treated plywood,that might help,

Jim B Guest

We use wood foundations all the time, especially on additions in tight spaces. They can be parged easily using the same methods as stuccoing (paper, wire, scratch & finish coat)
    Jim B

SRS Guest

Could I expect the stuccoing coat, wire and paper to hold up.? I want to be able to bury it a little below grade so I don't have to look at the wood.
    Thanks

Jim B Guest

It seems to be holding up fine on jobs done as much as 10 yrs ago. I am sure it would stand up fine even longer. It is the same as parging, a portland cement based product, and the wire is galvanized so it should last a long time.
    Jim B

SRS Guest

Thanks Jim,
    I'll probably have to talk to a stucco contractor. That sounds like something you need a little practice with.
    Steve