Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread
    chris Guest

Default HELP! Rafter Tail Ends

I have a problem with some water damage on exposed rafter tails; I was hoping someone here might be able to help. I am in the midst of replacing gutters and discovered the damage. The damaged area is scattered across a 65' section of roof with maybe 9 rafter tail ends damaged anywhere from 1/2" to maybe 1" deep on the top 1/2 of the rafter end (approx. the area covered by the gutter). My quesion is... what are my options for fixing this situation? Is there any way to fix this without removing roofing shingles and replacing the rafter tails comnpletely?

I was considering putting a fascia board up so that the good rafter ends can be used to handle the load of the gutters. Still perplexed as to how to then fill-in the damaged rafter tail ends so that it finishes.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

john Guest

Default Re: HELP! Rafter Tail Ends

could ya sister a new 2x whatever to the bad ones?use a piece of coil stock in between them to keep the rot of the new one?is this a trick question lol

chris Guest

john,

Thanks for the quick reply. No, unfortunately this isn't a trick question. Perhaps a little more explanation is needed. Since the rafter ends are exposed and the gutter was attached to the rafter end (rather than a fascia board) the rotted rafter ends are not able to support the gutter. There are enouch good rafter ends to support the gutter except for one area where there are 4 or 5 in a row that are damaged. The damage is relatively small in that the depth of the rotten wood is only about 1/2 - 1" on the upper half of the rafter end. Unfortunately it's right where the gutter attaches to the rafter end.
    I don't want to put any sort of scab on either side of the rotted area for because of cosmetics... or only as a last resort. Wondered about some industrial strength wood filler and maybe some small aluminum scabs to act as a form.
    Or, possibly notch out the to half of the rafter 1-1/2 inch deep and glue in a replacement piece.

Still open to suggestions... chris

Bob E. Nassau, NY Guest

Chris: I've successfully altered rafter ends by clamping/screwing a pair of 90 degree metal framing anchors on the opposite side (on a plumb line) as a guide and cutting from the opposite side with a recip saw. The blade runs between the angle's legs that protrude perpendicularly from that side of the rafter and I was able to get decent cuts. You may have to screw with the shingles/sheathing, like it or not. Such is life. After this excercise, who knows- PL200 or Titebond or if aestheticts permit- thick fascia.

piffin Guest

I would cut each tail 1-1/2" shorter, then add a 2x6 subfascia, fascia and gutter.

bill burns Guest

unless the rafter tails are cut to be decorative and you want to maintain them, piffins' idea is your easiest solution.
    if you want to save the ends, I have found that the wood restoring products available(minwax, etc) work well to repair this damage.
    just be sure to correct cause of problem first.

rite coaster Guest

I have also used some products from the boating industry (wood boats) to repair and stablize the rotten wood depending on the situation or extent of the damage you drill holes in the wood and inject liquid epoxy to harden and stop futer decay then there is a bondo like part to fillin the voids to orginal shape or you can use fiberglass
    I have used min wax product too in a pinch , It seems it cost more for so little of product,
    here is a link to one of the products i have used
    http://www.rotdoctor.com/products/product.html

http://www.rotdoctor.com/products/product.html