Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Repairing crack in knockdown ceiling

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repairing crack in knockdown ceiling

I have a hairline crack in a ceiling with knockdown texturing. What is the best way to repair it? Without redoing the rip joint, I thought about latex caulk in the crack, and then repainting. Good or bad idea?

Re: Repairing crack in knockdown ceiling

What's causing the crack?

Comment

I don't know what caused it. We used fiberglass mesh tape and 90 min. easy sand compound to set the tape and first coat. It's on a rip seam and is about 4' long. It is just a hairline crack, no compound has cracked out of it.

The house does shift from winter to summer. I assume that this is the reason for the crack. The homeowner is checking it over the winter and into spring to see if it changes at all. It very well may close up as warm weather gets here. The house is located in NW Ohio. It is in a sandy soil area.

Depending on what it does this summer, I wanted to use something that would give if needed.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Bryan,I say it was the fiberglass tape,use paper next time.JohnNH

Comment

I use paper tape on all my butt seams because it is stronger. For now caulk may work but it will look different when you paint it, so cover it with a thin layer of compound before painting. If you have to retape the seam it is not to hard to blend in a knockdown texture.

Comment

Working...
          X