Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

screened porch details

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• screened porch details

I have a client with an existing screened porch but very poorly done (materials and workmanship). I want to re-create this with details that work, especially letting the water get out (where it has a knee wall). Where can I find details to make this work properly? Of course, this is always in keeping with a budget.

Thank you, Joe

Re: screened porch details

a few more details might help. Also if you hit the search thread on this site and punch in something along the lines of screen porch systems or something along those lines there is some discussion about them. This would be information and opinions of a couple of readily available systems.

Comment

What would be a cost effective, quality job on an existing screened porch that is built on a concrete pad with a knee wall (screen is above this wall) to allow water to get out?

I appreciate the advice on doing a search for "screened porch systems." I just didn't find anything addressing this detail.

Thank you, Joe

Comment

first of all I am going to guess the slab has a slope so the water could get out of the room?
        Second I would suggest the old fashioned approach that you would find an old porch with a knee wall on it. Around here the approach is to put a small opening at the bottom of the knee wall. They then have a little door that is placed in front of the opening to keep bugs out but when it rains is pulled out of the way.

Comment

Yes, it is on a slope.
          Very good.

I appreciate your input on this. Joe

Comment

I've routed a brush seal on the bottom of screen frames to let out the water.

If you do the same to the door Beezo suggested, you'll have the same result - lets out water, keeps out bugs.

Brush seal WS66 from these guys will give you up to a 3/4" gap, which will be plenty for drainage.

http://www.conservationtechnology.co...omponents.html

Did you search the magazine archives? I think that info Beezo mentioned was in there a few year ago. Don't have time to look for it. Mabe "waterproof deck drainage" might get you there.
            Last edited by S.Joisey; 08-07-2014, 07:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X