Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Dense-shield vs Concrete board

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dense-shield vs Concrete board

What would be best for shower walls (F/G pan) ? Have heard most of the +'s and -"s and still am not sure the best way to fly. Face peeling off D/S, water wicking up C/B. ??????
    SteveC
    The improbable takes time, the impossible takes a little longer.

Re: Dense-shield vs Concrete board

I like hardibacker screwed to the studs with a waterproof membrane over it.
    Geoff

Comment

Steve,

Hardibacker 1/2" also has my vote. I would also do a roll-on barrier as Geoff had mentioned. Seems to be one of the better products out there.
      Chuck

Comment

any of them installed correctly work. Your right they all have +/-s. I like sheet membranes installed on them.That way I can skip tape ect. and dont have to mess with tring to get the fabric into the liquid...

Comment

Originally posted by inkster View Post
          I like sheet membranes installed on them.That way I can skip tape ect. and dont have to mess with tring to get the fabric into the liquid...
          Laticrete HydroBan does not require fabric at all.

dg

Comment

Properly installed Denshield with Kerdi Band on the seams and corners would be my vote. Just keep it off the pan by 1/4 inch as instructed and seal with Kerdi-Fix or your favorite poly caulk and to to town.

Denshield is so much easier to work with than cement board. Seal the cut edges at the openings with Kerdi-Fix too.

Properly installing Denshield means shimming the walls or notching the studs to the Denshield flows into the pan smoothly.

Comment

Wow, just kerdi the walls over any substrate, drywall or CBU and be done with it.

Comment

Since you are going to be having to put up some kind of board anyway before Kerdi, my thinking is if the board is an effective water barrier (Denshield) why not use it an skip the step of the Kerdi? I am only talking about walls here. You still have to seam the joints and corners, so I feel more confident using Kerdi band here, rather than alkali resistant mesh tape and thin-set.

I would even go one step further and spot the screw holes with Redguard or other similar product rather than the Silicone caulk as recommended by Denshield. Quicker dry times, less fumes and ability to bond to thin-st is my reasoning.

On the floor use any standard Kerdi approach that works, Shower Kit, mortar bed, etc.

Comment

Am I the only one who thinks the schluter system isn't the best?

Comment

Originally posted by Kgphoto View Post
                    Properly installed Denshield with Kerdi Band on the seams and corners would be my vote. Just keep it off the pan by 1/4 inch as instructed and seal with Kerdi-Fix or your favorite poly caulk and to to town.

Denshield is so much easier to work with than cement board. Seal the cut edges at the openings with Kerdi-Fix too.

Properly installing Denshield means shimming the walls or notching the studs to the Denshield flows into the pan smoothly.

Just curious what are you doing to back the denshield where it goes over the pan. Obviously you can't screw it, are you packing mortar up there when you do your bed..or something else?
                    "You couldn't do it and they didn't help.."

Comment

Originally posted by Taylord Home Improvements View Post
                      Care to elaborate??
                      Bailer Hill Construction, Inc. - Friday Harbor, WA
                      Website - Facebook

Comment

Yes ,I think it ISN'T the best!

Comment

If it were my shower, I'd use the Kerdi Shower system from Schluter Systems. It is the least labor intensive means to do a shower. When done properly, it will stand up just as well as any other system. It also eliminates a lot of potential for mold growth.

Comment

Originally posted by inkster View Post
                            Yes ,I think it ISN'T the best!
                            Care to elaborate further?
                            Francois

Truth is just one man's explanation for what he thinks he understands. (Walter Mosley)

Comment

Originally posted by Taylord Home Improvements View Post
                              What do you think IS the best? (I would genuinely like to know.)

Comment

Working...
                              X