Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Texas contractors Licence

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas contractors Licence

I have recently moved back to texas from wisconson and trying to start a small remodeling company. I have looked into it and texas has no contractor licensing. When i was living in wisconson i work for a large GC/Fire restoration comapany untill the economy took the turn it did and was laid of. I know you needed a license in wisconson and knew the whole process. Know I need to figure out how to make myself better then the next contractor that comes along. I already have insurance and am bonded but i have a few customers at times ask me if i have a contractors license. I then explain to them that there is not one and then we move on, but i hate having to do that because i feel it is unprofesional.

My question to everyone is, are there any certifacations that i could get that would help me to be a better choice to the customer then the next joe shmoe? Or does anyone know of a way to get a license that i have not found? I have tried to look into something but am having trouble finding anything in my area. Or any other ideas that you may have to help.

I really appreciate any thought on this

Re: Texas contractors Licence

The NAHB, National Association of HomeBuilders, has some certifications they offer, such as CGR(Certified Graduate Remodeler), GMB(Graduate Master Builder) and others which may give you an edge.

Check with your local association as well as www.nahb.org

http://www.nahb.org/page.aspx/category/sectionID=119
    Take Care

Jim

Comment

A few remodelers working in the retrofit area are picking up this cert from Building Performance Institue

http://www.bpi.org/

Of course you could also get the LEED cert. But that is a pretty small market in residential. We will do probably less than 5 LEED projects this year out of approx 500 units

I think the retrofit airsealing/duct blasting is a great area to specialize.

Comment

Where in TX did you land Mattpat?

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions guy i will definantly look into all these.

Jim- I moved back to the denton area just north of dallas

Comment

Matt, although many if not most states have licenses, some do not. NY does not have state licenses, but it does have licensing county by county. NYC is actually 5 counties (each borough). Ct has state-wide, but NY and CT are not really licenses as much as they are registrations for consumer protection tracking. We are working on actual licensure in CT and I'll try and keep everyone informed as it goes along.
            Jim, is Texas county by county or is it really the wild wild west:-) honestly curious.

The designations are good to have and show a real desire to be a professional instead of a rot bucket cowboy with a skillsaw. But, those things have to emphasized to the clients, they don't really care without some explanation and cajoling, in my experience.

Phil
            It's better to try and fail, than fail to try.

Comment

Some of the cities in Texas have general contractor licensing but generally the only requirements are proof of GL insurance and paying an annual fee.
              Joe Adams
              Deep Creek Builders, Inc.
              Houston, Texas

Comment

Phil, I've never heard anything regarding a county by county registration licensing in TX.

In some cities, permits are sometimes needed and they might require that the contractor registers with them to pull a permit.

Texas did have a statewide registration system (TRCC) a few years ago but they let the act sunset.

Comment

Originally posted by jimAKAblue View Post
                  Phil, I've never heard anything regarding a county by county registration licensing in TX.

In some cities, permits are sometimes needed and they might require that the contractor registers with them to pull a permit.

Texas did have a statewide registration system (TRCC) a few years ago but they let the act sunset.
                  Thanks ;-)

Phil
                  It's better to try and fail, than fail to try.

Comment

It looks like some of the sub trades need licensing, though.

"Does a contractor need to be licensed to do work on my home?

Any Plumbing or Mechanical contractor doing work on an individual’s home is required by the Texas Plumbing License Law or the Texas Mechanical License Law to have a license to work on that home. This license is required even if the scope of the work doesn't require a permit and inspection.

Electrical work must be performed by a licensed electrician.

A license is not required for general building work on your own property."

That's from the City of Dallas website. (http://www.dallascityhall.com/buildi...n_faqs.html#A3)
                    If you qualify, you could get one of those licenses.

kevin
                    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” - Upton Sinclair

Comment

What about the BBB or joining the Chamber?

Comment

Working...
                      X