Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Attaching Shower door to glass block

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attaching Shower door to glass block

Hello all -
    We have a semi round shower with a round front. The front is glass block with a 24" opening. Or it will be when we build it. We have not yet installed the glass block, as we wish to install a swinging glass door to cover the 24" opening. How do we attach/mount the glass door to the glass block wall? It is not possible to mount to a stud wall. What kind of door mounting system do we use, and is there special glass block for the edge that holds the door that has u-channel space in it?
    Thanks for any help you can give us.

Carrie & Roland Kay
    K's Construction, Inc.

Re: Attaching Shower door to glass block

i dont know about your part of the country, but around here i can usually get my shower doors ordered and installed by a glass company for less then if i order the same doors through my plumbing supplier. just something to think about.
    Brad

Comment

I agree with Brad. Especially with a situation like yours. Call your local glass co. and they should be able to make you what you need and install it for you.
      Geoff

Comment

Do not install your glass blocks unless you plan to incorporate some form of reinforcing to prevent the door from damaging the block wall: if you attempt to attach the door to an unreinforced panel, neither the door nor the panel will remain standing for long.

For glass block work in showers, I do not use standard glass block reinforcing because it will rust and discolor the blocks. Instead, I use 9--gauge stainless steel rod, and place two strands per course (two vertically, two horizontally) in the block hollows. I have attached stainless steel nuts to the rod for attaching door hardware.

CAUTION!!! Do not attempt to drill through glass blocks as this might cause them to explode! Also keep in mind that no glass block panel - reinforced or not - is considered load-bearing.

Comment

how are you going to finish off the egde off the glass block maybe fabricate a 1"piece of granite and treat it like a door jamb.that would give you something solid to attach the hinges too and be waterproof at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by ksconst View Post
            What kind of door mounting system do we use?
            Thanks for any help you can give us.

You may need to investigate a pivot mount door system instead of a hinge mount. Network w/ the local glass/tile/cultured marble shops in your area to see what's available or comb through the internet.
            "I'll bend over backwards to help anybody, but I ain't bending over forwards for nobody"

Paul

Comment

Working...
            X