I am following Greg and Greg...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am following Greg and Greg...

Yep that's right I've had enough of this site too. Yeah the political threads bug me and sure the useless post kinda suck and sure I think the management could do better BUT nothing makes me sicker than the self promotion. When you come on these pages and do nothing but post your stuff to promote yourself...I can't fricken stand it any more. It's not a problem if you post an interesting project like Steve Demetrick did recently. That was awesome stuff and really is what the place is about...Steve was sharing his awesome knowledge with us not tooting his own horn. Between the Festool BS and Utube I've had it.

I'm an accomplished builder/carpenter with over 28 years experience. I've learned things here from my fellow craftsman. I hope I've given some back too. It's very important to me to give back. Which is why I'm here. However, this place doesn't have the environment that facilitates learning any longer.

If any of my craftsman brethren ever want to discuss building/carpentry my email is listed in my profile.

It's been real and it's been fun but ain't no fun no mo!

Pease
    ~Kent~

Re: I am following Greg and Greg...

....must have been that compact ejector pump assembly thread.....?
    Steve

"Get three coffins ready" - A Fistful of Dollars 1964

http://youtu.be/KZ_7br_3y54

Comment

not really sure what the issue is. I am still trying to post stuff that I have questions about, think I am learning stuff here. Something is not relevant to me, not interested in I just ignore.

As far as what you think of as self promotion I can sometimes find both inspiring and a little intimidating. Will never have anything going on like Allan, could maybe do a few built ins like Kreg. Would love to do some of the stuff I see here but focus on other things. Not a big deal for me. How about you showing us some of your stuff?

If you are for sure going to go, have to say I am gonna miss you and reading some of the stuff you post.

Comment

I think this thread shows that we really do need a sticky thread for whines. That way, they all could be wrapped up in one thread instead of spread all over the site.

My post should be in there too.

Comment

Kent,

A couple weeks ago I was thinking of hitting the road too. That email that was sent to GregDi really pissed me off. But I did what I often do before making a decision and I slept on it. The next day It didn't bug me as much and I decided to stay. Besides, someone has to be left around here to tell Beezo what kind of filler to use in his Azek;)

Although, it did make me decide to NOT renew my JLC magazine subscription because of it. I've gotten every issue since 1993. Yes $40 to $60 per year for almost 20 years! If they treat one of us like they treated Greg, then I'll hit them where it hurts, their wallet. Not here where it's free.

It seems to have gotten a little better here lately. Just stay out of trade talk and stick to the finish carp forum. no BS there.

FWIW, I do as Beezo does and just don't look at the political stuff that I'm not interested in.

Sleep on it and check back in.

BTW, if you do see the Gregs, tell them I miss them over here. I cant seem to navigate that CT forum. It's too big for my little iphone. LOL............

Sorry for the rant, I should have slept on it! LOL..........

Bob

Comment

Kent,
            It would seem you are taking a shot at the self proclaimed king of built ins, Kreg. Sure he's probably not doing anything ground breaking and he may never make the cover of a carpentry based magazine but I, as well as many others on the site enjoy his positive and outgoing attitude and posts. As far as self promotion and tooting your own horn, this thread itself is a bit along those lines isn't it? I really hope you don't take any offense to this post as I respect your knowledge and am disappointed in the few who have chosen to leave instead of staying and using their influence to help better the site. I am not the most knowledgable member on is site by a long shot but when I do feel I have something I can add I will. In the same respect when myself or others need some advice it is nice to have veterans of the site like yourself who have the advantage of experience who can reply with answers we can have confidence in. Instead of being a follower by leaving I urge you to be a leader and stay to help rebuild and restructure the site if that is what the consensus of the members is.
            Darrel Hunter

"You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Bob scott View Post
              Although, it did make me decide to NOT renew my JLC magazine subscription because of it. I've gotten every issue since 1993. Yes $40 to $60 per year for almost 20 years! If they treat one of us like they treated Greg, then I'll hit them where it hurts, their wallet. Not here where it's free.
              I would encourage you (and others) to reconsider for a variety of reasons. First of all, this is a free service that H-W provides. Presumably they hope it will lead to profitable activity in other areas, but it seems silly to connect the two.

Second of all, Don Jackon, JLC editor, is a great guy who is completely unconnected to this website. He has worked hard for many years to put out a great magazine, and I'm sure it is a very difficult time to be trying to publish a trade magazine for an industry that's reeling. Think how much you've learned from getting JLC for 20 years - I'm sure it's easily paid for itself.

So if you don't like the forum, go find another one. Or use the time here to read books, or back issues of JLC. But other than the common ownership and some cross-pollination, the 2 entities shouldn't be lumped together.

Comment

Ditto what Dan said.

Also, you don't want to bite your nose to spite your face. Hopefully you have learned something from each of those magazines, it's not like you just made donations and didn't get something from the subscription.

Comment

I agree too. The JLC magazine is a legacy, this place is just an internet forum which actually isn't that bad. There are some good guys here.

Come on guys, move out of your parents basement and quit the paper route. The zipper goes in front.
                  "First we finish the game, then we’ll deal with the Armada!"

Sir Frances Drake

Comment

Don't worry guys, I'm not going anywhere. You got to shake the tree really hard for this nut to fall.
                    Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Mbeezo View Post
                      not really sure what the issue is. I am still trying to post stuff that I have questions about, think I am learning stuff here. Something is not relevant to me, not interested in I just ignore.
                      I like Kent and hope he changes his mind. We all skip threads more than we comment on them. I'll skip threads or posting a comment if the thread doesn't interest me, I have nothing to add to it, the question was answered, etc. It's hard to question what someone else feels so I'll just leave it as I hope the time away rekindles the interest and we see Kent, Greg, Greg and anyone back.

Comment

Originally posted by Dancing Dan View Post
                        I would encourage you (and others) to reconsider for a variety of reasons. First of all, this is a free service that H-W provides. Presumably they hope it will lead to profitable activity in other areas, but it seems silly to connect the two.

Second of all, Don Jackon, JLC editor, is a great guy who is completely unconnected to this website. He has worked hard for many years to put out a great magazine, and I'm sure it is a very difficult time to be trying to publish a trade magazine for an industry that's reeling. Think how much you've learned from getting JLC for 20 years - I'm sure it's easily paid for itself.

So if you don't like the forum, go find another one. Or use the time here to read books, or back issues of JLC. But other than the common ownership and some cross-pollination, the 2 entities shouldn't be lumped together.
                        In addition to the above, the message sent to Greg Di was by a lone moderator, one who has less posts in the past 8 years then many of us have in a week or a month. He sent it on his own and the members gave him a tongue lashing here and the issue was squashed by the higher ups. I went to bat for Greg and I'm sure at least dozens of other did. The management was responsive and fixed the issue.

Comment

If he's bored, he's bored, move on, but do reconsider Kent, I gain something from your posts.

I will admit that the discussions are a bit bland compared to when I first joined a short time ago. It's almost as if the major challenges have been figured out.

What I find as a bummer is when I presented a challenging detail of how to insulate an exterior steel beam a few weeks ago in the BS forum, nobody chimed in...of all the experts. This looked to be a tasty treat for everyone to figure out but it went away.

Moments later, there's a heated debate on something that's been mulled over for three years to the same result.....Uh, how should I cut this moulding, or, what glue should I use for this plastic stuff? I'm making it too simple and not picking on anyone, but that's what I mean by "bland".

And the damned zipper...crap, that's why I've been having all these troubles!...thanks Ted, I'll switch my shorts around tomorrow and see if that helps...I'll report back.
                          Portland Renovations, Inc.
                          www.portlandrenovations.com

Comment

Why's Bob been paying full price instead of the discount/renewal price?
                            Francois

Truth is just one man's explanation for what he thinks he understands. (Walter Mosley)

Comment

as old fashioned as it sounds, and I know I am an old guy, I will take a magazine any day over an online version. Gary's Carpentry one is about the only one I read on line. JLC I prefer to be able to take with me anywhere, read and reread and mark it up, highlight things, etc if I want. Maybe one of you young whippersnappers can do the same thing but punching a button to turn a page is just not the same for me.
                              Plus if you look at the magazine you will notice that some months there seems to be no connection between the magazine and the forums. How many months are there articles that never get commented on or are written by someone I have never heard of before. Choosing to not subscribe because of something that has happened here has never been a consideration for me.

If you are not happy here I understand your going away. For me, when I could not get on to comment or read, I was going thru withdrawal. Sure lots of things have been discussed before, things may be a little slow, but I consider it part of the territory. But things in the industry do continue to change, new products come out, hopefully business will continue to improve and we will continue to ask questions, write answers and help each other out.

Comment

Working...
                              X