B17 Crash

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B17 Crash

Lost the vintage WWII era "Liberty Belle" just west of Chicago today.

Some amazing photos here...http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/n...7.photogallery
    Greg

Re: B17 Crash

Those pics are painful to look at.

-Norm

Comment

sad to see that. But lucky that they guys got out when you see how complete the damage was.

Guess no more tour unless they plan on a several year rebuild of what is left and finisih it then.

Comment

That's terrible !
        I flew on this in 04.
        http://www.teterboro-online.com/news...04/show4.shtml
        Was last guy on so they "had" put me in navigators seat, below pilot in nose. What a ride, buzzed Giants Stadium, the Empire State building and flew up the Hudson.
        Got an even better appreciation of what flyers had to contend with in WW II in comparison to the USAF jets I worked on in the 70's.
        SteveC
        The improbable takes time, the impossible takes a little longer.

Comment

They'll likely rebuild it...
          HERS Rater • BPI Building Analyst • BPI Envelope Professional
          Certified Green Building Professional • Certified Existing Home Advisor
          General Building Contractor • Asbestos Certification • Hazardous Substance Removal Certification • EPA Approved Lead-Safe Contractor • Locksmith
          PMP • ESEP • CISSP

Comment

What is there left to rebuild, the consumption was pretty complete.

Phil
            It's better to try and fail, than fail to try.

Comment

The engines looked like the are all there. The sheetmetal is pretty easy to reproduce. Historic plane people are kind of strange, usually retired with not much to do but spend infinite time rebuilding impossible projects. Hope they do rebuild (remanufacture) it.
              General Building Contractor • Asbestos Certification • Hazardous Substance Removal Certification • EPA Approved Lead-Safe Contractor • Locksmith
              PMP • ESEP • CISSP

Comment

If they rebuild - hope they have a bigger basement than the one linked to in Chicago. :)

Knowing what I know about plane crashes - nothing on that plane is salvageable between the impact and fire... IMO the FAA would rightfully not certify a plane rebuild from that mess..
                “Racism is man's gravest threat to man - the maximum of hatred for a minimum of reason.”
                Abraham J. Heschel (Jewish theologian and philosopher, 1907-1972)

Comment

Dave, technically it didn't crash, it landed fine albeit on fire but I gotcha drift. ;-)

Phil
                  It's better to try and fail, than fail to try.

Comment

Originally posted by davenorthup View Post
                    Knowing what I know about plane crashes ...
                    Fortunately, nobody is asking you..... ;-)

Here is what they are saying:

"Useful parts, will be salvaged from the wreckage... They will be used to restore the Liberty Belle. The Warbird Squadron 4 had a conference the other day, and stated that the intention was to return her to flight status."

"They don't keep spare B-17's parked and waiting for engines. These planes are usually restored from remnants of crashed airframes recovered from lakes, swamps, under glaciers and other remorte and inaccessible places. The effort requires millions of dollars, years of recovery, salvage and restoration by individuals dedicated to their preservation."
                    PMP • ESEP • CISSP

Comment

Even sadder than I thought, looks like they could have saved her if the fire equipment wasn't "hindered" by soggy ground.
                      http://www.libertyfoundation.org/index.html

My dad was in the AF during Korea and was able to fly in one while stationed in Texas. Every time an air show came to town we were there, he loved showing me the B-17. Pretty amazing aircraft in terms of toughness and durability.

Comment

Turns out the Liberty Belle is not the original Liberty Belle. It is another airframe that was rebuilt as the Liberty Belle. It was badly damaged when a tornado tossed another plane onto it but was subsequently restored.

There are a total of 51 surviving airframes worldwide:

10 active flying
                        9 on static display
                        2 currently undergoing restoration to fly
                        3 currently undergoing restoration for display
                        5 in storage
                        19 partial airframes/hulks

A restoration costs about $3 million. An engine rebuild, about $50,000.
                        Last edited by BeachBoy; 06-17-2011, 02:55 AM.
                        PMP • ESEP • CISSP

Comment

Working...
                        X