1" black pipe max psi

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1" black pipe max psi

Kind of an odd question, but does anyone know or have a good guess what psi can be put thru 1" black steel gas pipe?
    RJ Perry
    Liberty Construction LLC
    Warwick RI

Re: 1" black pipe max psi

I have a "little black book" of various reference charts and specifications, and it states that standard schedule 40 steel pipe 1/8" to 1", continuous weld or seamless is good up to 700psi.

steve

Comment

What do you plan on using it for?
      PRAY FOR OBAMA.....Psalm 109:8
      http://www.cstonecarpentry.com/

Comment

Just make sure you don't buy the crap coming out of China.

Talking about China, The last cast iron tub (5-1/2' American Standard) we installed was made in China.

They need to change their name to "China Standard"

Comment

When I was just out of High school I worked for a utility company and we ran miles of 3/4" black pipe. I was always told the top pressure was 175 PSI, but the working pressure was much lower. This seemed more like a "working rule" rather than anything scientific. For high pressure we always used heavy wall pipe and fittings. In my own shop I use 3/4" pipe for all my perimeter air lines and run it at 135 psi with no problems. Good luck and be careful.

Don

Comment

I was surprised to hear, from a local gas utility man once, that gas pressure within the pipe was only 4 psi. this isn't really on point, but it bears that out by referring to pipe capacities with pressures over 5 psi. So I wouldn't assume that existing gas piping could handle high pressure air for example.
            You will ask what goal the U.S. is pursuing? .... their external debt is huge, and ruining other countries is their customary method. Even ownership of the global 'printing press' is no longer helping. Nor is full control over NATO, None of that if enough for the 21st century colonizers. They don't just need to preserve the dollar as the only global currency but also to get their hands on the economic wealth of other large powers and regions. - Sergei Naryshkin

Comment

This seems like an extremely good question for a pipe manufacturer.
              Bailer Hill Construction, Inc. - Friday Harbor, WA
              Website - Facebook

Comment

I was watching american chopper the other night, and they made a potato gun out of copper. As I was strolling thru HD I figured Id make one out of steel threaded pipe.
                RJ Perry
                Liberty Construction LLC
                Warwick RI

Comment

PVC will work fine for that.
                  Geoff

Comment

i always use pvc

Comment

I saw ones made out of pvc before online, and that setup used hairspray and an ignitor or something similiar. They one they made and I made has a chamber to store the air between two valves. Open the first on to fill with air, close that when the gauge shows whatever pressure I want, the the second valve to release the air.

Here are a couple pics
                      http://picasaweb.google.com/podge58977/PotatoGun
                      RJ Perry
                      Liberty Construction LLC
                      Warwick RI

Comment

We used to use two tennis ball cans, a sparker from a lantern and shoot tennis balls.

Comment

PVC 4" combustion chamber with a BBQ igniter 2" barrel ;0

Kye

Comment

Mine is 4" & 2" sched 80 tubing, sched 40 fittings, grill ignitor to long reach fine tip NGK spark plug.
                            I built it about 12 years ago, & couldn't count the number of shots!
                            I would recomend a healthy tight wrap of duct tape around the tube bottom, as added insurance. It can't hurt, & may prevent a blow out!
                            Joe

Comment

The pressure of the black pipe you are looking at is normaly rated at 700 psi
                              What limits the rating is the pressure rating of the fittings used with it
                              150# WOG, Water, Oil, Gas Black or galv.- 125# steam sch40 A53cw pipe

250# WOG -175# steam sch40 A53cw pipe

2000# wog -600# steam w/ sch80 pipe a53cw pipe or smls pipe a106

3000# wog- 800# steam ditto

6000# wog - 1200# steam ditto

hope this helps

garth merrick

Comment

Working...
                              X