Subcontractors-Woman Owned

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subcontractors-Woman Owned

I have about 150 subcontractors in my database, of which I use 30-35 per job. I have about 5 woman owned companies that work for me, they are plastering, heavy equipment/dirt work, hardwood flooring install, concrete, and a few other trades. I hate to make generalizations but they are all at the top of my list with regards to quality, organization, having large crews (a plus), and just getting the work done without problems/complaints. I am seeing a trend.........
    ============================================

Twitter

Houzz

evolution.jpg

I suspect that you see more than we do because you don't have contractor licensing, here we have to have 4 years trade experience at journeyman level or above, although this is breaking down because without the union there is no journeyman level, and they are now allowing some college to replace trade experience. When a contractor dies his wife can continue to operate the business for one year after his death to finish up business, I knew one so-so builder who died and his wife turned the business around and became a very successful developer building way more than he could have ever dreamed of, I don't know how she ran it beyond the one year max.
    “President Obama doing well. His approval rating is at 51%.--- The other 49% are taxpayers.” Jay Leno

Comment

I have a couple of subs owned on paper by women. In reality they are run by men and the owners are the wife or girlfriend. The women are not involved in running the businesses. Why the women are the owners I don't know and don't particularly care. As long as it's not because the husband has a criminal record :)
      Gender, race, religion, sexual orientation and the length of one's ears are not a factor for me. But I do prefer aliens with 2 brains and 4 arms, they tend to put out more work.

Comment

Not sure about anywhere else but here in MA there are affirmative business opportunities for women and minority owned businesses. We say here if you can check the box, you're in like Flynn. They must be certified, this is the office and an explanation :

http://www.mass.gov/anf/budget-taxes...ate-cert-prog/

Many jobs, depending on location and funding sources require a percentage of women or minority participation. For the business, that's obviously key, limited competition, etc. I can tell you however many GCs have complained as they are forced to use these outfits citing experiences contrary to Allan's. Years ago a business owner could have a daughter step in as an owner, not now. They really investigate to see if the woman is playing an ownership rule or if it is a front.

As far as I'm concerned, if a women wants to run a construction business, more power to her. I am happy for her, support women in the workplace, and just plain think it's awesome.

However, I'm not so hot on affirmative action. I belive Vince Vaughn said it best, it's judging fitness for a job by race or gender...
        "First we finish the game, then we’ll deal with the Armada!"

Sir Frances Drake

Comment

Generally women make better general contractors than men, contractors buy a lot of stuff and women love shopping, we usually hate it, few of us will even lower ourselves to bargain, women love it. I don't think this this applies that much to subcontractors, they don't buy the thousands of things all the times like we have to buy.

NICKNAMES
          - If Laura, Kate and Sarah go out for lunch, they will call each other Laura, Kate and Sarah.
          - If Mike, Dave and John go out, they will affectionately refer to each other as Fat Boy, Bubba and Wildman.

EATING OUT
          - When the bill arrives, Mike, Dave and John will each throw in a $20, even though the total is $32.50. None of them will have anything smaller and none will actually admit they want change back.
          - When the girls get their bill, out come the pocket calculators.

MONEY
          - A man will pay $2 for a $1 item he needs.
          - A woman will pay $1 for a $2 item that she doesn't need but it's on sale.

BATHROOMS
          - A man has six items in his bathroom: toothbrush and toothpaste, shaving cream, razor, a bar of soap, and a towel.
          - The average number of items in the typical woman's bathroom is 337. A man would not be able to identify more than 20 of these items.

ARGUMENTS
          - A woman has the last word in any argument.
          - Anything a man says after that is the beginning of a new argument.

FUTURE
          - A woman worries about the future until she gets a husband.
          - A man never worries about the future until he gets a wife.

MARRIAGE
          - A woman marries a man expecting he will change, but he doesn't.
          - A man marries a woman expecting that she won't change, but she does.

OFFSPRING
          - Ah, children. A woman knows all about her children. She knows about dentist appointments and romances, best friends, favorite foods, secret fears and hopes and dreams.
          - A man is vaguely aware of some short people living in the house.

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY: A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people remembering the same thing!
          “President Obama doing well. His approval rating is at 51%.--- The other 49% are taxpayers.” Jay Leno

Comment

Thank you Dick, phrases to remember!!!

I was the brawn and mostly brain partner to a woman majority owned business for about four years. She was the good looks, attention getting, foot in the door personality in the business. She did organize purchasing, paperwork and "pushing" the work flow until everything was done. Very good at all of that but decided to move to another state. I retained a small part of that business, as much as I wanted of it and she has gotten into real estate sales.

I was happy that I helped build confidence in her during the time it lasted. Prior to meeting me she had a hard time looking anyone in the eyes. By time she left, she could stare anyone down and capture their confidence.
            "ALS IK KAN" - Stickley

Comment

Working...
            X