Announcement

Collapse

ALERT - Threads Not Displaying

A large number of threads from the last 12 months are no longer displaying in the individual Forums. The technical team is aware of the problem and we are working to resolve it. We apologize for the inconvenience. Thank you for your patience.
See more
See less

hammer drill won't hammer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hammer drill won't hammer

Have a friend who has the Bosch Bulldog hammer drill. It no longer hammers for him. I am suspecting the switch since it seems to be a click into place switch and not an electric issue.It drills just fine but no hammer or chipping ability. Any idea if that is something a guy not used to fixing tools might be able to replace? Him not me. My vote was more of the drill is nearly 8 years old it might be time to get a new one and just keep this thing as a heavy duty drill.

Thoughts.....

Re: hammer drill won't hammer

If for some reason the bits do not seat completely, they will not hammer. The Bosch units we repaired for my fathers rental used a special grease in the hammer units. If the grease was low there would be no percussion. The piston acted on the grease which inturn acted on the anvil.

Tom
    http://chicagocraftsmen.org/2011/06/261.html

Check with the AHJ, what we say doesn't matter.

Comment

I had my Bosch hammer do the same thing after a while. It's a bigger version than the Bulldog, but the repair was cheap and I was told it's really just a wear and tear item. It was a $600 tool, so putting $70 into it was a no brainer.

I don't remember the exact problem but I do remember it was commonplace.
      Your source for:
      Decks • Deck Design • Porches • Railings • Pergolas in Bergen County New Jersey
      Remodeling and Home Improvements in Bergen County | EPA Approved Lead-Safe Contractor
      Techno Metal Post: Helical Foundation Piles in New Jersey
      Follow us on: Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Comment

I only used hammer drills for things like tapcon screws and such. Anything bigger reach for my SDS plus. IfI'm drilling rebar holes for tying a foundation I reach for the SDS Max. I have a Milwaukee hammerdrill that has been going strong for 12 years now.

Phil
        It's better to try and fail, than fail to try.

Comment

Phil,

The Bulldog is a SDS hammer drill/chipper. Inline configuration.

Tom
          http://chicagocraftsmen.org/2011/06/261.html

Check with the AHJ, what we say doesn't matter.

Comment

Ahh! OK. I should have looked it up, sorry.;-)

Phil
            It's better to try and fail, than fail to try.

Comment

I actually just had this happen with my Bosch 11247; there was a moment of concern as I pictured my morning's work not getting done (although the tool has given enough use I wasn't too bummed). No hammering in either hammer/drill mode or straight hammer mode. I blew out some crud in the collar and in the chuck, and greased it up good. It still took a few attempts at hammering with a regular chipping bit before it sprang back into action, but it's been fine since. I think it was crud in the chuck or collar.
              k
              “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” - Upton Sinclair

Comment

will be passing all the information along to the guy to try out. Will see if any of it works.

Comment

Working...
                X