Announcement

Collapse

ALERT - Threads Not Displaying

A large number of threads from the last 12 months are no longer displaying in the individual Forums. The technical team is aware of the problem and we are working to resolve it. We apologize for the inconvenience. Thank you for your patience.
See more
See less

Protecting chisels

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protecting chisels

Any ideas other than a leather roll up to protect chisels from getting beat up in tool boxes? I usually buy them on the fly and sharpen them when I feel ambitious. After realizing how many I have around it think its time to treat them better after I sharpen them.
    Tom

Re: Protecting chisels

Got this tip on these forums a few years ago.

Get lengths of various diameter braided pvc tubing at the box store and slip them over the chisel. Works great.
    Steve

"Get three coffins ready" - A Fistful of Dollars 1964

http://youtu.be/KZ_7br_3y54

Comment

Braided PVC? Not sure what you mean Steve
      Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Top Notch View Post
        Braided PVC? Not sure what you mean Steve
        vinyl tubing
        Attached Files

Comment

Geeze wasn't thinking, Thanks I like this idea
          Tom

Comment

No, I think he means expandable braided sleeving.
            http://www.buyheatshrink.com/braided...d-sleeving.htm

Comment

Go to the plumbing section where the tubing is like what you use for a water level. Next to it is a stronger tubing that has a mesh within the wall. Its called braided pvc tubing. I keep them in a zipper bag.

The guys already posted.....since I just got home I went to the truck got a pic for you.
              Attached Files
              Steve

"Get three coffins ready" - A Fistful of Dollars 1964

http://youtu.be/KZ_7br_3y54

Comment

to resist rust
                I cold blued my chisels
                Beware of the man whose belly does not shake when he laughs

Comment

Originally posted by phillip View Post
                  I cold blued my chisels
                  Seems this is going to need explanation too. I got rust with warm... then FREEZE your butt off, then warm.. of this winter.
                  David Tuttle

Comment

no comment

Comment

now I know I am a hack. I do not think I have ever really worried about my chisels at all.

I keep them sharp but once they are ready to go I stick them back down into my tool bucket and away they go. I can cut just about anything I need to and I do not think of them as fine finsih tools. Mine are just like the stanely shown and for the cost of them I do not concern myself to much about keeping the ends protected.

Comment

I use plastic chisel guards. I picked up a set at Rockler but I don't see them on their website. They look like these. http://www.amazon.com/Footprint-1602.../dp/B003Y3BMA2

LeeValley also has a set. http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/pag...22&cat=1,41504
                        Tool Reviews

Comment

no phillip my tools are rusting this year as the weather is bouncing all over the place. What is bluing? I know of a blue used by machinist is that to which you refer?
                          David Tuttle

Comment

Originally posted by texastutt View Post
                            no phillip my tools are rusting this year as the weather is bouncing all over the place. What is bluing? I know of a blue used by machinist is that to which you refer?
                            By "cold blue" I mean the common touch-up bluing found down at our corner gunshop that is simply swabbed on and then rinsed off, usually with plain tap water, repeat 3-6 times oil wipe and coat with wax or oil

Not 100% protection but it does resist rusting, wipe dry and oil or wax as needed
                            Last edited by phillip; 03-02-2011, 08:06 AM. Reason: was going to post about blue body parts, thus the no comment

Comment

Depending on how you carry your chisels it could be as simple as a covered Tupperware container with a block of 2" rigid foam scrap to set the tips in. Gets a little loose....change the side used for the tips.
                              Take Care

Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X