Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Laser Distance Measurer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laser Distance Measurer

Well, it's almost 2011 and I'm thinking about ringing in the new year with a long overdue tool purchase.

I've got a houseful of base & crown to run and would like to try using a laser distance measurer.

I've pretty well narrowed it down to two basic ones that I can afford and two nicer ones that cost a bit more than I'd like to spend.

Any thoughts on the Leica Disto D2 at $179 vs.Stabila 6300 LD300 at $149?

What about the next step up - Leica Disto D3 at $279 vs.Stabila 6400 LD400 at $249?

So does anyone have any advice they can offer to help me choose? Justification for stepping up to the next level? Good deals or rebates on the net that I've missed?

I need it for interior trim more than estimates so I'd prefer dead-on accuracy if that's possible.

I prefer to work in running inches and obviously the saved measurements feature is a plus.

The rest of the bells and whistles don't really matter all that much.

Many thanks and Happy New Year!

p.s. Just to muddy the waters, I would also consider comparable Hilti model(s) but just don't know that much about them.
    Joe Adams
    Deep Creek Builders, Inc.
    Houston, Texas

Re: Laser Distance Measurer

I have a very basic Stanley and it's dead accurate to 25 ft. Haven't tested it beyond that. So as far as accuracy is concerned, I would assume they are all dead on. The choice is basically up to you in terms of features and "feel".

Comment

I believe I also have the same Stanley model as DG. It's been an excellent tool for the 5 years I've owned it.

We've also used models from Milwaukee, Leica, Stabila, & Hilti. Frankly, I haven't noted an appreciable difference in accuracy between any of the tools at +/- 25 ft.

If I were in the market for another laser tape, I'd buy on features & probably wouldn't be inclined to spend more than about $150 unless it had Bluetooth capability or something similar that would dramatically save us time.
      Greg

Comment

I've got the Stabila LD300. Very accurate. ALWAYS measures 1/16" long. I'd confidently use it anytime with any material without hesitation.

I considered the next-step-up LD 400 and just decided that my real needs were measure and cut so I didn't opt for all the frou frou options of the more expensive model.

I suppose the fact that the LD 300 doesn't store measurements could be an issue for some, but hasn't for me.

I used a Leica for a day and liked it too. Don't thing you'll go wrong between the two. I think the Leica was a bit smaller IIRC and that could be a good or bad point for some. I hated my smallest cell phone because it was "fumbly" small.

Comment

The only one I've used is the Hilti and it was dead on every time.

Comment

I looked at a Hilti PD4 for $199 at the BORG this morning. It's a nice tool but not so much as to make my decision any easier.

I've seen several folks comment that the Stabila are always 1/16 long. Seems like a PITA to have to remember to deduct for every measurement.
            Joe Adams
            Deep Creek Builders, Inc.
            Houston, Texas

Comment

Stabila LD300
              When you've got them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Ted S. View Post
                Stabila LD300
                Forget this post, I meant to cut and paste into Google to look it up and I slapped it in the Quick Post instead. I see I'm still a dumb azz in 2011.
                When you've got them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

i've got the bosch and it does great for me with interior trim.

Comment

I own the Leica Disto D3 and love it. I primarily use it for trimming (crown, base, shoe), accurately measuring inside dimensions, and for determining angles and pitches (stairs and roofs). My only complaint is that the screen now has a very small crack in it. The display still works fine, and I've owned it and carried it in my pouch daily for nearly two years now, and it's seen some falls, so I suppose it's really none the worse for wear.

In a nutshell, the D3 seems dead-accurate, and the angle/pitch function has proven to be nearly as valuable a function as the distance finding, particularly for determining my angles for stair skirt, hand rails, etc...

Comment

For what it is worth I have a cheaper fat max laser, I bought it on clearance for $50.00. It works great everytime. I thought I would step up a get a stabila for the history function. I found out after I bought it that the history runs in reverse order and there was no way to clear it out, if you are finished cutting and going to start a new room. It also measure a heavy 1/16th long. I sent it back for calibration, they said it was perfect. It still measured long even compared to other lasers. I returned it. It was a pain. Sorry I don't remember the model number.
                      Joe

Comment

Originally posted by Carapace79 View Post
                        I own the Leica Disto D3 and love it. I primarily use it for trimming (crown, base, shoe), accurately measuring inside dimensions, and for determining angles and pitches (stairs and roofs). My only complaint is that the screen now has a very small crack in it. The display still works fine, and I've owned it and carried it in my pouch daily for nearly two years now, and it's seen some falls, so I suppose it's really none the worse for wear.

In a nutshell, the D3 seems dead-accurate, and the angle/pitch function has proven to be nearly as valuable a function as the distance finding, particularly for determining my angles for stair skirt, hand rails, etc...
                        I own the same model and he is right about the accuracy of the device and the usefulness of the tilt readout.The D3 can be set for 1/32 measurements too although I normally use it in the 1/16 mode.I would spend enough to get a measurer with at least a few extra bells and whistles as these extras can really come in handy.Things like memory up to 15-20 measurements,the ability to add and subtract measurements to/from previous ones which lets you walk through a house and get material estimates fast and accurately, tilt readout, and indirect measurement ability pay for themselves in a hurry IMO
                        Jeff Jackson

Comment

I have the LE50 by Stabila and mine is dead on. Regardless of the one you buy, test out the one you get in the store and if it is not accurate, open another one.

Comment

I am not sure about the memory issue but do not have one on my unit that I am aware of. Reason I say that is because I am a paper and pencil kind of guy. I write it down and notice that if I cut a piece of trim at 12'4" I can look down the list to see what else I can maybe use the left over for. Not sure I could do that without scrolling thru the numbers and want to know how to cross them off after what someone said about starting over. You just shut the thing off to start the next room?

Comment

Originally posted by m beezo View Post
                              I am not sure about the memory issue but do not have one on my unit that I am aware of. Reason I say that is because I am a paper and pencil kind of guy. I write it down and notice that if I cut a piece of trim at 12'4" I can look down the list to see what else I can maybe use the left over for. Not sure I could do that without scrolling thru the numbers and want to know how to cross them off after what someone said about starting over. You just shut the thing off to start the next room?
                              I actually write down my measurements to when I get to the saw station.I just back up through my measurements and write them down.Not that it is necessary but I prefer that rather than pushing the back button after each cut and I like to minimize material waste (of course) and writing them down lets me do that faster .As far as clearing the memory from room to room if I remember it clears itself when in shuts off.I have mine set to shut off at 3 minutes or so and its never an issue as far as getting mixed up.You can also just erase the list in about 5 seconds..............Another consideration when shopping for a laser m,Some of the cheaper laser measurer's have a limited number of measurement modes which is the main reason I got the D3 over another brand I was considering.The other one measured in feet and inches( 2' 3-1/8" rather than 27 1/8")and didn't allow inches only and I didn't like that at all.
                              Jeff Jackson

Comment

Working...
                              X