What to look for in a dump trailer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to look for in a dump trailer

I found a used dump trailer for about half the price of a new one. It's a 6x10 w/ brakes, decent tires, etc. I've never owned one - what should I look for? We're starting a big job (most of the next year) and figured it would be worth having one, but we won't be abusing it terribly.

Re: What to look for in a dump trailer

We have two trailers. The smaller one takes about 1/2 hour to unload by hand. The larger one with hydrolics takes about 5 min. I'd much rather push a button to unload any day.

Get hydrolics. You won't regret it.
    Tom

"Whoever ceases to be a student has never been a student." George Iles

Comment

Yeah, the one I'm looking at has hydraulics.

Comment

You gotta big truck?
        Bailer Hill Construction, Inc. - Friday Harbor, WA
        Website - Facebook

Comment

They are pretty simple trailers and the hydraulic systems are pretty basic. Common sense should dictate if it is a decent deal. I bought one last year and it is very handy you will not regret buying it.
          We do not have dumpster rentals and I can have both trailers on most job sites. I use mine mostly for hauling material from the lumber yard as well as job boxes, ladders and such between jobs.
          “Racism is man's gravest threat to man - the maximum of hatred for a minimum of reason.”
          Abraham J. Heschel (Jewish theologian and philosopher, 1907-1972)

Comment

Not particularly (although that is an awfully personal question) - it's a F-150 w/ 4WD.

Comment

As others have said, they're very handy to own. We bought one 6 or 7 years ago & it's been an excellent investment. They're usually dirt cheap to insure & require very little maintenance. Because of their size & mobility, you can often place them in spots where you wouldn't be able to get a dumpster in.

Be sure to check out the hydraulics & electrical on the one you're considering. Those 2 items are all that's required to make the dump mechanism operate, so if either is questionable you could be looking at an immediate repair bill. I'd also look at the brakes (I'm assuming the one in question has electric brakes), frame, hubs, & axles. Those are the usual wear areas & where you'll see signs of overloading.

6X10 is on the small side. I'd be sure that size will work for you, though at the price you're paying you could probably resell it for similar money if/when you outgrow it. I'd also like to see 2 hydraulic rams on the trailer. It may not be a deal breaker (especially on a smaller one), but having 2 rams will make for more even lifting of the box & less wear & tear on the trailer.
              Greg

Comment

Originally posted by Dancing Dan View Post
                Not particularly (although that is an awfully personal question) - it's a F-150 w/ 4WD.
                Be careful when towing heavy loads, Dan. At the minimum, make sure the truck is equipped with a brake controller. You may also want to consider adding a trans cooler & maybe even helper springs, depending on the weight you'll be towing. My experience is that everything wears faster on half ton trucks, particularly when they're routinely loaded.
                Greg

Comment

Yeah, it's one of my concerns. I'm not going to be using it routinely, I will definitely get brakes, and I don't think the loads will be brutal (we don't do roofing or masonry, for instance). My current truck is in reasonably good shape but I will probably go up to a 250 next time.

Comment

Every friend you ever had will want to borrow it. Put a pintle(sp?) hook hitch on it. They are about the safest hitch and none of your friends have one on their truck.

roger

Comment

This is the trailer towing capacity chart for a 2010 F-150, you should also have this info in the manual that came with the truck (for your year);

http://www.fordvehicles.com/assets/p...vF150sep09.pdf

As others pointed out brakes are an absolute must.

This is the brand controller you want, Ford went to them for their factory dash mounted unit;

http://www.tekonsha.com/product/about.asp

You may need to use an equalizing draw bar on an F-150 dependent on the load;

http://www.draw-tite.com/menu/produc...20Distribution

If you do a lot of highway driving sway controls are nice.

Tires, tires tires, and a spare, one of the most important items to be vigilant of. We all look at our truck tires and know their milage, but how many miles are on the trailers. Air pressure is very critical to their service life. "I only use it once in a while." The miles add up quickly. If the tires are smaller in diameter than the truck tires they need to turn more revolutions per mile. So they have actually traveled more miles than the truck tires.

You may also need a USDOT or state DOT (or both) number, click on "Step by Step Registration Guide" in the "Help me Register" box (So how many of you did not know you need a DOT number for your truck and trailer once the combined GVW was over 10,000 pounds?)

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registratio...escription.htm

Tom
                      http://chicagocraftsmen.org/2011/06/261.html

Check with the AHJ, what we say doesn't matter.

Comment

Dan,

I bought the 5x8 @5000 GVW dump BriMar. I've done dozens of trips from the supplier with concrete, stone, soil, mulch and even cabinets from time to time.

It's worked excellent, since day one. Single piston due to it's 3750 load capacity (it weighs 1250 unloaded). I've put 4900 + LBS in it, at times, although not by choice. It still had no real issues with towing or the hydraulics, even being overloaded.

The Brake controller is absolutely required. There's no way in hell I could stop my truck without the electric brakes coming into play. Added leaf capacity and air bags are the way to go, otherwise just buy a one ton truck and fuggaboutit...

My gripes....

Not big enough, as always, I should have bought the larger version.

The crank jack on the front of the unit sometimes catches the ground when going over uneven surfaces, as it would have been nice to be able to retract it further up.

I live on the coast, so I'm dealing with the powdercoat peeling in areas due to rust.

I have a 94 Yoda with HD springs and adjustable air bag suspension added to the truck... .....

The bags can be pumped up when hauling heavy loads to keep the truck stable and level, and this in turn keeps the cops from pulling my ass over when the back of my truck is sagging due to the trailer being overloaded. ;-)

Dont forget to re-register your tow vehicles GVW, to include the trailer's full capacity when loaded. This will cost you more to register, but at least you won't get impounded when you get pulled over pulling a load that exceeds the total capacity.

My Yoda is registered @ 10,500 which allows me to fully load the trailer , full tank of fuel, and my fat ass at the wheel, with a few pounds to spare to be under the GVW.

I also bought a spare tire & rim for the trailer..... It sucks getting a flat with a load in it.

EDIT:

As tom has pointed out you'll need a USDOT number now.....

NJ, thankfully, doesn't require it, although if I was to frequent crossing state lines, it's suggested that I get one as well.
                        Last edited by always-learning; 08-01-2010, 10:31 AM.
                        Chuck

Comment

I have a 6x10 with a single ram and hydrulic brakes. one of the best tools bought. Use to use a pickup box trailer took as long to unload as it did to load it now just push the button and it is empty.Have hauled some pretty heavy loads on it and works fine, Only thing might change some day is to draw battery power from my truck to operate it.
                          Randy

The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of a cheap price is forgotten

Comment

And don't forget--------------------once you have a spare tire you need a jack capable of lifting the loaded axle and a lug wrench of some sort. Other wise the spare is not of much good.

The road triangles will be required with the DOT number.

Randy,

You are better off leaving the trailer battery and then setting it up to charge off of the truck. The current draw loaded may be to high to run it off the vehicle battery without a very large gauge wire at that distance. Ford has a charging relay for their factory plug, so it disconnects the trailer battery when the engine is off. That way trailer loads do not drain the vehicle battery. This is more important with travel trailers.

Tom
                            http://chicagocraftsmen.org/2011/06/261.html

Check with the AHJ, what we say doesn't matter.

Comment

Good thought Tom, although Iwas considering the heavy guage wire to do the job. My diesel has alot of battery . Nothing worse then getting to the dump and you forgot to make sure the battery was charged. Been there done that. :)
                              Randy

The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of a cheap price is forgotten

Comment

Working...
                              X