Craigslist Stories

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craigslist Stories

I've been getting rid of some of our excess equipment on CL & just have to chuckle at some of the stuff that goes on there. I've not only had the usual spammers, tire kickers & no-shows, but also low-ballers with what must be brass stones occasionally offering about 1/5 the value of some things.

Tonight I received an email from a guy looking to trade a bunch of hardware for an item I was selling. It was pretty obvious he'd tried this before, as he was very well prepared with a list & running inventory of all the items he was looking to unload. Hmm... I thought I was the seller...

I also received an email from someone else who stated that he realized the amount he was offering in his email was about half of what I was asking for something (which I'd already discounted substantially), but "that's what his budget would allow". Amazing...

Anyone else got any good CL stories?
    Greg

Re: Craigslist Stories

I've had the usual scammers also. I also have listed items at more than reasonable prices, and I get that guy who says "this is all can afford to pay..."
    Too many clowns on CL.
    That's like going to the car dealer and offering half the sticker price and saying that's all you can afford.

Comment

oh, and I've had a few no-shows!

Comment

Originally posted by newman View Post
        I've had the usual scammers also. I also have listed items at more than reasonable prices, and I get that guy who says "this is all can afford to pay..."
        Too many clowns on CL.
        That's like going to the car dealer and offering half the sticker price and saying that's all you can afford.
        Bingo. I was tempted to comment on how nice it would be if we could all get deals such as the one he/she was proposing, but I refrained.

I will say that the couple items I've sold have gone to buyers who knew what they wanted & were easy to deal with. They didn't bother to haggle either, which I thought was an indication I'd priced the things fairly. Wish they were all that way.
        Greg

Comment

These are the same guys that wheel and deal at garage sales.

I sold a 43" Sony TV on CL before Christmas. I listed it a month prior and didn't get any significant bites.

This guy contacts and say's he will take it and he lives an hour away blah blah blah. I meet him at my local lowe's that's like 5 mins from my house.

He gets there and offer's me half the asking price. I told him no that i'll just list it again. he goes you've had it on there for a month and you haven't sold it. I reply that i don't really care and needing money was not the reason for selling it. Knowing he drove an hour and I drove 5 mins he's not walking.

He starts asking how bad the construction business is etc and getting friendly. I shut him up and tell him i'm leaving. He thinks i'm bluffing I guess because he raised his offer 25.00.

I tell him no and get ready to drive off. Start my truck and wheels start to move he shouts at me and gives me my original asking price.... He had the full amount in a atm envelope..
          Louisville Exteriors
          Professional Installers of:
          Siding | Replacement Windows | Roofing | Hand Rails | Gutters | And More!

Comment

Here is what cracks me up. Try it for entertainment value.

Once in a while I have stuff that's in good shape but not highly valuable. Like let's say a used bath sink in perfect shape from a demo. I don't want to throw it in the dumpster. So I post it on CL for like $5. I get not a single reply for 3 days. Then I post it in the free section. Within half hour I get like 25 replies.

It is very amusing to see some guy drive 50 miles each way in a gas guzzling 4x4 to get something for free but not willing to pay $5.

I once did a small job where I didn't need a dumpster but had 2 toilets to get rid of, in more or less OK shape. So I put them on CL for free. Guy emails me with a long plea on how much he really could use them, etc. OK, you can pick them up any time tomorrow at such and such address.

Guy shows up next morning at 7:30 in an Escalade, suit and tie, and proceeds to load up the two toilets from the curb. Slum landlord.

Comment

I listed a near new SCMS saw for $250, and over the phone the guy offered me $200, I said I'll go $225 and no lower, and he agreed. He showed up with $200. I was not happy and sent him on his way.
              Now I tell people the price is firm and if you come down don't haggle - they do it anyway.
              I keep getting emails for offers that are half my asking price. I think a lot of guys out there throw out the lowball offers thinking that the seller is desperate for some cash.

Comment

I really hate to ask this but the guys that want to haggle with you-are any of them from other countries? I ask because we have a yearly garage sale with some neighbors. We notice that lots of folks will ask if I will take a nickle for a quarter item. But the ones who are not native born USA seem to not only ask but almost demand that we take less for an item than we have it listed for. I think some of it may be that is how it is done elsewhere. Asking is one thing but demanding is another no matter what you are selling.

I know it does not sound good to say it but that seems to be my experince with selling stuff like this. Only other experince I had was bidding a job for a guy from Vietnam. He was after me for every line item, every material needed, questioned every price quoted. I just did not want to play the haggle game with him.

Comment

You are correct Beezo. It is a cultural difference. In many countries you are expected to negotiate the price. Because, in those same countries, the price is automatically raised to account for that. When those folks come here, for example, they do not understand the price that is shown is the 'real' price, not one to be negotiated downward. When you do not negotiate with these people on price they can, and some do, feel personally insulted. I kid you not.
                  Chuck Kiser
                  Knollwood Construction Company
                  Palos Park, IL 60464

Knollwood Construction
                  Kitchen Remodeling Chicago
                  Bathroom Remodeling Chicago
                  Building Repairs Chicago

Comment

I occasionally look at CL Tool section, but generally find nothing I need. One thing I did notice is the large number of people, at least in this part of the country, who lose their small dogs.

Almost every time I look at CL's Lost and found, there is someone who's chihuahua has gone missing. My wife and I spent a few days, last winter, looking near a preserve / park we walk our dogs at, for this dog these people lost. Seems as though their dad, who was watching their two mexican dogs, let one escape.

It was a black dog, wearing a pink jacket. Real hard to spot. It wandered into a trailer park, where someone said to themselves " Ooooh, look what came to me. It must be mine! I can't believe that this dog just came out of no where, and I must keep her ! "

With the 600 posters that were lining the streets, telephone poles, grocery stores and fence posts for the 4 mile radius around the trailer park, it must have been true that this dog was just sent to them.... right ?

Eventually, a family member contacted the real owner, who then called the police. They gave up the dog without a fight, although they (the trailer park a-holes) spent about $150 at petsmart buying toys, clothes , food for their newly found wandering dog....... They could have taken the $750 reward for the dog, if they had just initially contacted the police and turned in the dog.

Here's another one that was just found....

http://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/laf/1602641418.html

Hey people ! Keep your damn dogs on a leash, and you won't have this problem....

;-)
                    Chuck

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Kiser View Post
                      You are correct Beezo. It is a cultural difference. In many countries you are expected to negotiate the price.
                      Yes.... Cultural, although it's not just to foreigners.

I've had Jewish, Italian, Irish, Polish and mutt styled Americans all do the same thing to me as well. I've done it myself, when I bought my new work truck. It's the "Haggling High" that some people get when they save a few dollars. I just asked for a discount, when it was denied, I bought the truck anyway....

When I bought a Toro Roto Tiller, that was advertised on CL, the guy was surprised. I pulled up to his house, when I said I would be there, he started the tiller, and I handed him the money. I didn't haggle or say anything, because I knew that I was paying a good price for what I was getting. He nearly fell over...

Anyone want to be a contractor ? This guy is going out of business...
                      http://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/tls/1605062246.html

Turn key
                      Last edited by always-learning; 02-18-2010, 08:23 AM.
                      Chuck

Comment

Originally posted by always-learning View Post

Anyone want to be a contractor ? This guy is going out of business...
                        http://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/tls/1605062246.html

Turn key
                        I'll see your going out of business ad & raise you one for what may be one of the worst tools ever built...http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/tls/1606118189.html

Or maybe you'd like to take over this repair/handyman business, complete with saxophone...http://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/tls/1606068845.html
                        Last edited by gburnet; 02-18-2010, 08:38 AM.
                        Greg

Comment

Man that guy in Chicago selling his business did EVERYTHING!
                          "Always dream and shoot higher than you know you can do. Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself. " - William Faulkner

Comment

Man, I could go on and on about the Musicians postings on Clist and the freaks that those stir up, lol.

Since health issues have slowed me down along w/ the economy tanking, I've used Clist to thin down tool inventory somewhat for a while now. I get the same bozos, tire-kickers, chew-ya-downers and such, but it's just come to be expected.

I simply list the item and list a FIRM cash price w/ the stipulation that if you have any idea of haggling, don't waste your time. Simple as that.

If they try to haggle w/ you after that, the price starts to go UP. :)

I may need to sell something, but I also need to be able to sleep at night as well. It would grind the ever-lovin' sand off my paper if every time I thought of needing my cabinet lift, I had to think of some idiot smiling and laughing as he drove off w/ it because he beat me out of $50, just because he had $ and I needed it bad enough to b!tch out just for the almighty dollar.
                            "I'll bend over backwards to help anybody, but I ain't bending over forwards for nobody"

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by m beezo View Post
                              I really hate to ask this but the guys that want to haggle with you-are any of them from other countries? I ask because we have a yearly garage sale with some neighbors. We notice that lots of folks will ask if I will take a nickle for a quarter item. But the ones who are not native born USA seem to not only ask but almost demand that we take less for an item than we have it listed for. I think some of it may be that is how it is done elsewhere. Asking is one thing but demanding is another no matter what you are selling.

I know it does not sound good to say it but that seems to be my experince with selling stuff like this. Only other experince I had was bidding a job for a guy from Vietnam. He was after me for every line item, every material needed, questioned every price quoted. I just did not want to play the haggle game with him.
                              Yeah, it seems to be mostly Vietnamese and Mexicans around here that always low-ball me.

Comment

Working...
                              X