Tools not made in china

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tools not made in china

It would be nice to have a section in the forum of tools that are responsibly made by companies that follow good ethical and moral guidelines. I would pay extra money to buy an american made tool. Some of the best tools I own would be Fien Multimaster and their vac, Hitachi's nail guns (framing and siding), Makita's impact driver and other cordless li-ion tools. If you know of companies worth buying from, make a post and let us know why. For example, my hitachi framers are fifteen years old, but the new hitachi staple or brad guns from home depot are garbage. I have also been told certain big brands have certain models they send to home depot that are far worse quality than what you can buy at a independent store.
    Nate Dizzy you know who izzy

Mostellerconstructiononline.com

Re: Tools not made in china

I like your thinkin,Nate.
    Big B.

Comment

Originally posted by NateMoss View Post
      I have also been told certain big brands have certain models they send to home depot that are far worse quality than what you can buy at a independent store.
      This rumor has been around for years. I have never found anyone who could back the claim up with fact, or even an example of such a tool. There are certainly different levels of tools within brands, the lesser ones often being sold at box stores & home centers.

The above aside, I can empathize with the desire to buy products that are of good quality & produced in responsible environments. I'd add the following to your list...

Dewalt DW712 SCMS. Made in Italy, excellent accuracy.

Festool products (in general). Made in Germany, & usually well thought out. (Let's agree right now that they, like any other company, have had a few misses).

Many Bosch tools. There are still quite a few made in Switzerland, IIRC & their quality is generally pretty good.

Veritas hand tools. Made in Canada, usually a pleasure to use.

Lie-Nielsen hand tools. Made in the USA. Pricey, but you get what you pay for.

Stabila levels. Made in Germany. Accurate & durable.

Jorgensen clamps. Made in Chicago. Heavy duty & reasonably priced.

Hilti products. (Those which are made in Germany or elsewhere in Europe. Be aware that the company is now producing some of their line in Chiawan.) Expensive, but usually industrial duty.

Chestnut Clam Clamps. Made in Florida, an indispensable tool for finish work where miters are involved. (Note: Do NOT be fooled by the Chiawanese knock-offs carried by Japan Woodworker. They're ripping off the product.)

Dalluge hammers. As far as I know, made in the USA & just sweet tools.

Enderes tools. Striking tools made in the USA that are very durable.

Trac Rac truck racks. Excellent quality racks made in Massachusetts.

Knaack products. Commercial & industrial quality boxes, racks, shelving, etc. made in Illinois.

Many used tools. Particularly older, now discontinued models from Powermatic, Delta, Porter Cable, Milwaukee, to name a few.
      Last edited by gburnet; 11-08-2009, 10:51 AM.
      Greg

Comment

My Hilti jigsaw was made in Lichtenstein. Who knew they even had any manufacturing?

I got a nasty surprise with Bosch the other day, palm router from Indonesia. Double check, with Bosch.

Makita makes more tools in the USA, than anyone else.
        Francois

Truth is just one man's explanation for what he thinks he understands. (Walter Mosley)

Comment

Here's an interesting, though possibly a bit out of date list of U.S.-made tools...http://www.usstuff.com/tools.htm

And another possibly useful site...http://www.stillmadeinusa.com/tools.html#PowerEquipment
          Last edited by gburnet; 11-07-2009, 11:16 PM.
          Greg

Comment

Occidental Leather for tool belts. Stanley actually makes a lot of their smaller hand tools in the U.S. too.

Comment

blu mole reciprocating saw blades should not be sold. first cut and the edge is gone. they are supposedly an american made product. but that certainly doesnt make them good. lenox blades used to be a great blade.

love all of my hilti stuff.

i like the adjustments on my ridgid worm drives, but the outboard arbor bearing doesnt hold up well with lots of rafter cutting.

i wish stanley would make a good max steel tape again that we can get here.

my delta shop stuff from 18 yrs ago isnt very good.

my jet stuff is decent.

my dewalt 18v stuff is good but the batteries dont last and are over priced. switched to ryobi because of cost and have been very pleased with there durability to drops from ladders and stuff.

i like my 20 oz. stanley antivibe hammers, except the singing ones. this will drive you nuts. i have tried spotting them with a wire welder, grinding a line in them, no luck getting the ting out of them.

i have some werner aluminum top fiberglass ladders, type 1A that are pushing 18 yrs old. about wore out, yet better than the new werners of equal rating.

Comment

A couple more I forgot to post earlier...

PLS lasers. Made in California. Innovative, accurate, durable.

Whiteside router bits. Made in NC. Some of the best bits I own.

Klein hand tools. Made in IL. Excellent quality products by & large.

Forrest saw blades. Made in NJ. Top of the line blades & blade sharpening.

Collins spring clamps, coping foot, Bunny planes, etc. Made in Ohio. Some very unique & well thought out tools.

Edited to add: Vaughan tools. Top flight striking & sawing tools made in Illinois.
                Last edited by gburnet; 11-08-2009, 10:44 AM.
                Greg

Comment

Lamello meeds to be added to the list. A premuim line of tools- at an ultra premium price.
                  there is ALWAYS a better way waiting to be discovered-
                  yfc

Comment

Originally posted by Ottoman View Post
                    Lamello meeds to be added to the list. A premuim line of tools- at an ultra premium price.
                    Yep, along with Mafell & Hoffmann - both made in Germany, IIRC. (Lamello is made in Switzerland).
                    Greg

Comment

I wish contractors would start looking at value instead of price only.

An underrated company that makes its products in the US, Estwing. I bought my first real hammer in 1991 when I started in the trades, that hammer is as good today as the day I bought it 18 years ago, talk about value.

I also have to give Jim Chestnut credit, his clam clamps are built to last more than a lifetime, way to go Jim. We just don't see many products like that anymore. I'd agree with Greg, indispensable.

And I'm a green kool-aid guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Brice Burrell View Post
                        I wish contractors would start looking at value instead of price only.

An underrated company that makes its products in the US, Estwing. I bought my first real hammer in 1991 when I started in the trades, that hammer is as good today as the day I bought it 18 years ago, talk about value.

I also have to give Jim Chestnut credit, his clam clamps are built to last more than a lifetime, way to go Jim. We just don't see many products like that anymore. I'd agree with Greg, indispensable.

And I'm a green kool-aid guy.
                        Brice, be careful when buying Estwing products. They're not all made here anymore. Specifically, their I-beam shaped flat bar is now being produced in Chiawan. Not sure about their hammers, but if they've already got production overseas... You get the picture.

Personally, I don't trust striking tools made in Chiawan because of the garbage metal that's likely to end up in the tool. No way am I taking the risk of having a chunk of that flying off when I hit it.
                        Greg

Comment

it is very difficult to find a good cats paw that has its foot shaped correctly and wont just destroy the wood. i usually grind mine until it works correctly.

Comment

All of the cat's paws used to be Niwatori brand, made in Japan. Now there are virtually identical copies from several makers and no doubt they are all Chinese.
                            Bailer Hill Construction, Inc. - Friday Harbor, WA
                            Website - Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by David Meiland View Post
                              All of the cat's paws used to be Niwatori brand, made in Japan. Now there are virtually identical copies from several makers and no doubt they are all Chinese.
                              Maybe not, Dave. Glad you brought it up, as I forgot to mention Vaughan tools in my earlier posts. They make a few Japanese-inspired cat's paws & the company states they're made here. They also make other hand tools ranging from saws to striking tools, many of which are still produced in Illinois. Read more...http://hammernet.com/vaughan/pages/c...rican-made.php
                              Greg

Comment

Working...
                              X