HEPA vac for new lead renovation rule

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HEPA vac for new lead renovation rule

I am trying to get ready for the April 2010 EPA Lead Renovation rules that require a HEPA vac for cleanup. I took the Certified Lead Renovators course and now I'm looking for a small HEPA vacuum. I do small jobs so 5gal (or smaller ) is all I need. Since the EPA rules that define a HEPA vac says...The vacuum cleaner must be designed so that all the air drawn into the machine is expelled through the HEPA filter with none of the air leaking past it.... I guess I need a HEPA vacuum as opposed to a "standard" vacuum with a HEPA filter.

Since true HEPA vacs tend to be costly I was wondering if anyone has any experience with small HEPA vacuums and can make recommendations.

Thanks
    pk

Re: HEPA vac for new lead renovation rule

I bought it, to comply with next years regs, I couldn't believe how much it was. It is extremely quiet (quietest vac I've ever heard) and extremely well made (materials) , although it doesn't pick up water or wet materials. It's only use is for dry pickup.

The exit air is filtered 3 times. Once through the bag inside, then the filter, then the secondary motor filter, so nothing is passed out the other side of the unit. Keeps dust inside the bag / vac where it belongs. Works great (suction) and exceeds HEPA requirements (cleans 99.99954% of dust particles up to 0.3 microns ),

Has a 33' long cord, so you won't need any extensions with it. Has disposable bags inside, which makes cleanup quite easy. Small diameter hose and wands, so it's primarily for dust and fine particles, and not for big clumps of waste, which need to be disposed of by hand. Great for cleaning up the lead based paint dust and chips which is why I bought it, but it's compact size makes it easy to store in my truck, along with the other standard vacs.

http://www.nobles.com/nobles-en/prod...c-vacuums.aspx

One thing I hate about it...... no on board tool storage.... You would think that when I spent that much on a freaking vacuum, that I would have been able to put the attachments somewhere....

I guess the Germans didn't think of everything when they made it.

Oh, yeah..... $500
    Chuck

Comment

Is it not the same as this?

http://www.parish-supply.com/canister_vacuum.htm

Comment

So, are the pricy Fein and Festool vacs with a HEPA filter considered "standard?" I have a Fein and dread the thought of having to spend another heap of cash on a vacuum.

Comment

The good people at McFeely's tell me the Fein Turbo 2 is OK for lead abatement if you use their bag which keeps everything contained.

I get the impression the other Feins don't pass any dust through either. But without the special bag, getting the dust out of the vac could release lead.

Comment

As I understand it, the Fein turbo designation is for the size of the vacuum, is that right? What would make the Turbo I, what I have, different from the Turbo II in its filtering capabilities?

Comment

Can someone supply a link to more about the new rule and how I might find a compliance class? I was not aware of this.
              "If you only have a hammer, all problems look like nails"

Vintage wood window repair and restoration in Chicago
              Wood storm windows in Chicago
              Weatherizing vintage buildings in Chicago

Comment

http://www.epa.gov/lead/pubs/renovation.htm

-Norm

Comment

Originally posted by hdrider_chgo View Post
                  Can someone supply a link to more about the new rule and how I might find a compliance class? I was not aware of this.
                  There's another thread specifically about the new lead rules - you might want to look for it.

From what I can gather , the EPA isn't going to start offering the classes until the new year (at least here in NJ). There are private firms that offer them, but at a greater price than the govmnt sponsored ones.

Comment

I recently signed up here through a private firm for $175 for the 1-day class taking place in about 3 weeks...trying to beat the rush. I've attached some guidlines I found which outlines the rules better than anything I've found so far. I also sent an email to Fein to see if the Turbo I qualifies and I'll let you know of the results. It does say in the instructions that with a HEPA filter you can clean-up lead and asbestos. And, there is a warning not to vacuum hazardous/carcinogenic dust unless the optional HEPA filter is installed. So one would assume it would qualify, but we'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by dgbldr View Post
                      Same one. Doesn't say how much, but it's identical (and also called tidy vac) as the one I purchased.

Originally posted by S.Joisey View Post
                      There's another thread specifically about the new lead rules - you might want to look for it.

From what I can gather , the EPA isn't going to start offering the classes until the new year (at least here in NJ). There are private firms that offer them, but at a greater price than the govmnt sponsored ones.
                      Joisey,

I took the class for free. NJ is paying corporations to set up these classes at no charge to you or the average homeowner who wants to become more aware of the hazards.

Hell, they even sprung for a free lunch.....
                      Chuck

Comment

Originally posted by S.Joisey View Post
                        Originally posted by hdrider_chgo View Post
                        http://forums.jlconline.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=49002

Originally posted by always-learning View Post
                        I took the class for free. NJ is paying corporations to set up these classes at no charge to you or the average homeowner who wants to become more aware of the hazards.

Hell, they even sprung for a free lunch.....
                        Details? 175$ saving is 175$ towards the vac...

I have to go to NJ for this anyways, I think. Couldn't find anyone offering the course in downstate NY... Which seems sorta weird, considering the average house in NYC is way older than 1978. Anyways, NJ's a lot closer than Albany.
                        Francois

Truth is just one man's explanation for what he thinks he understands. (Walter Mosley)

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Prentice View Post
                          So, are the pricy Fein and Festool vacs with a HEPA filter considered "standard?" I have a Fein and dread the thought of having to spend another heap of cash on a vacuum.
                          I'm not familiar with the Fein, but this is very simple. The vac is either certified HEPA compliant by its manufacturer or it's not. Filter is only part of it. The whole machine needs to pass the test, i.e. not leak dust out the tailpipe.

So you need to ask Fein which is and which isn't certified.

Comment

Originally posted by frenchie View Post
                            http://forums.jlconline.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=49002

Details? 175$ saving is 175$ towards the vac...

I have to go to NJ for this anyways, I think. Couldn't find anyone offering the course in downstate NY... Which seems sorta weird, considering the average house in NYC is way older than 1978. Anyways, NJ's a lot closer than Albany.
                            What?

Mr. Googlishious couldn't find it ?

;-)

Anything for you mr. Frenchie....or should I call you Smokie?

Here's the schedule... although now they charge $35. When I went, it was free.....

I guess I finally did something right...by taking the class early this year.

http://www.state.nj.us/dca/dcr/leads...ents.html#free
                            Chuck

Comment

Um... I don't see anything there that says this is an EPA-certified RRP course. Covers the State rules, but are you sure it certifies you you for the Fed rules? Rutgers isn't on the EPA's list of accredited training programs:

http://www.epa.gov/lead/pubs/trainingproviders.htm#nj

But that doesn't mean much - Rutgers might be using one of Lew Corp or NAETI's instructors, in which case it might be certified...

??

They make this stuff so confusing.
                              Francois

Truth is just one man's explanation for what he thinks he understands. (Walter Mosley)

Comment

Working...
                              X