Announcement

Collapse

ALERT - Threads Not Displaying

A large number of threads from the last 12 months are no longer displaying in the individual Forums. The technical team is aware of the problem and we are working to resolve it. We apologize for the inconvenience. Thank you for your patience.
See more
See less

Paper or Plastic? Nail collation types

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paper or Plastic? Nail collation types

I had it with my Paslode 350 air nailer today. It's a great gun, but it frustrated me for the last time today while working on my own house. It uses paper-collated nails and God forbid you look at the nail strips the wrong way or actually put a few in your bags, they get a kink or ripple in them and fail to feed. It gets nearly impossible to deal with when you are in some awkward position trying to hold something plumb, delicately bring the gun up before you lose the precise positioning of the pieces you are trying to nail, then the gun either doesn't fire or fires without a nail. Must have happened 20 times to me today while nailing off lookouts.

I am about 12 hours away from going to the tool store tomorrow and buying a Hitachi NR83A2. I've never used a plastic collated gun before. I am hoping that the plastic strips are a little more durable than the paper ones. You also have to remember that I do a lot of basement work so I am constantly switching between different nails while nailing up studs.

Are there any drawbacks to plastic nails?
    Your source for:
    Decks • Deck Design • Porches • Railings • Pergolas in Bergen County New Jersey
    Remodeling and Home Improvements in Bergen County | EPA Approved Lead-Safe Contractor
    Techno Metal Post: Helical Foundation Piles in New Jersey
    Follow us on: Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Re: Paper or Plastic? Nail collation types

Greg,

Are you using generic nails? I have the same guns and never had a problem with nails all these years. Where do you get your nails from?
    Joe Carola

Comment

Joe,

I am using PASLODE brand nails. That's what's aggravating.

To be honest, I am CONSTANTLY taking nails in and out of the gun. In fact, it's rare for me to fire off 2 full strips of any one kind in succession. I'm thinking the plastic may be a better way to go, but I trust you guys to tell me...
      Your source for:
      Remodeling and Home Improvements in Bergen County | EPA Approved Lead-Safe Contractor

Comment

I have 5 paslode F350's and 4 Hitachi 83a2 I've never had problems like your talking about. A jam here or there or misfire every now and then but the paslodes have always served me well. I always used the paslode brand nails. I started running the hitachi's and haven't looked back. I wish i would have done it alot sooner.

Johnson

Comment

So you are saying the you like the Hitachi better than the Paslodes? Is that because of the plastic nails?

My gun problems just recently started ramping up but are gettin worse and worse. There are weeks where this gun never leaves my truck, and other weeks I use it everyday. I initially really like the gun, but I have a very bad taste in my mouth because of how much time I waste messing with it just to get it fire. I must pull the follower back every other nail some days.
          Your source for:

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Di
            So you are saying the you like the Hitachi better than the Paslodes? Is that because of the plastic nails?

My gun problems just recently started ramping up but are gettin worse and worse. There are weeks where this gun never leaves my truck, and other weeks I use it everyday. I initially really like the gun, but I have a very bad taste in my mouth because of how much time I waste messing with it just to get it fire. I must pull the follower back every other nail some days.
            Plastic collated stick nails are great except for a couple of things, the peices can get you in the eye (happened to my old mentor Dave), they hurt if you put your knee on them when you kneel, require more cleanup (not really a problem) and when you drop them, they can explode into unusable pieces.

I prefer wire collated :-), but then I'm always pushing coil framers. If you are switching nails a lot, I'd stick with a stick nailer. The new Paslode PP gun we have is really nice. I wouldn't be in such a hurry to switch guns yet. I'm surprised the Paslode nails are a problem. I've used Bostitch paper collated in our Impulse gun and hate them. I will only buy Paslode offset head nails for it and have had great success.
            www.Pioneerbuildersonline.com
            http://instagram.com/awesomeframers
            http://www.youtube.com/user/Raftercutter

Comment

Another vote for plastic in stick nailers. They work much better in the rain and snow too. They do make a mess, they are a pain when they hit you in the face. Depends what you do. I use a stick nailer a lot of the time, but use a coil too when on roofs doing sheating. You can't argue with the productivity of a coil nailer, but they can get heavy nailing overhead all day long.

Comment

Greg
                I also don't have problems when I use any of my Paslodes with Paslode nails........EXCEPT.....when I use the full round heads. Then the Impulses misfire like a bandit. I'll buy generic clipped before I'll buy Paslode full round heads.
                By the way, if you're using clipped heads, are you sure the mag isn't bent?
                Take Care

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by James Eggert
                  Greg
                  I also don't have problems when I use any of my Paslodes with Paslode nails........EXCEPT.....when I use the full round heads. Then the Impulses misfire like a bandit. I'll buy generic clipped before I'll buy Paslode full round heads.
                  By the way, if you're using clipped heads, are you sure the mag isn't bent?
                  Jim,

Maybe that's the problem. I only use FRH nails (Roundrive)....hmmm...only 10 hours until I pass the tool store....
                  Your source for:

Comment

We use plastic collated nails in our Hitachi and Sencol stick nailers without any problems. We've never had a problem with the generics either.

Like the other guys have said, the biggest problem is getting hit in the face with the bits of plastic.

If you're having a rough day, all it takes is one well-aimed plastic bit right in the lip to make you want to launch that damn gun.
                    www.bluedivideinc.com

Comment

Originally posted by bluemoose

If you're having a rough day, all it takes is one well-aimed plastic bit right in the lip to make you want to launch that damn gun.
                      Man, isn't that the truth!! :-)
                      www.Pioneerbuildersonline.com
                      http://instagram.com/awesomeframers
                      http://www.youtube.com/user/Raftercutter

Comment

I get around the changing nails sizes by using two guns. Yes, really. Of course my back doesn't like it much.

Kirk

Comment

Well, you all knew I couldn't pass the tool store this morning without going in.

I bought a NR83A2S for $329. I only fired one strip to test it today, but I have to say that I am impressed with the feel of it compared to the Paslode. The Hitachi sounds alot more like a framing nailer should, with that nice metallic twink as the driver comes down.

One question...every time I pull the trigger a little air escapes through the trigger. Is that normal? It sure doesn't sound right to me. I can also keep it hissing by holding the trigger half way down.
                          Your source for:

Comment

Well, you all knew I couldn't pass the tool store this morning without going in.

I bought a NR83A2S for $329. I only fired one strip to test it today, but I have to say that I am impressed with the feel of it compared to the Paslode. The Hitachi sounds alot more like a framing nailer should, with that nice metallic twink as the driver comes down.

One question...every time I pull the trigger a little air escapes through the trigger. Is that normal? It sure doesn't sound right to me. I can also keep it hissing by holding the trigger half way down.
                            That's normal for the Hitachis. It even does it on the coil nailers.
                            Joe Carola

Comment

They all do that. Pretty cool, huh?
                              www.bluedivideinc.com

Comment

Working...
                              X