Announcement

Collapse

ALERT - Threads Not Displaying

A large number of threads from the last 12 months are no longer displaying in the individual Forums. The technical team is aware of the problem and we are working to resolve it. We apologize for the inconvenience. Thank you for your patience.
See more
See less

Hand Tool Storage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hand Tool Storage

I currently have an open tote Veto Pro Pack for my hand tools. I hate to say this on an open forum, since my wife bought it for me as a Christmas present, but I could not hate it more. It doesn't fit my tools well. It is heavy. I can't find things that are right there because it is black inside. In short, it is a nightmare.

I use the Systainer system for my power tools, and it really has helped me with organization. I have thought about getting some for my hand tools.

What do you guys use for your hand tool storage?

Thanks in advance for your input.
    www.kylezach.com

I have a closed Veto LC for my most used hand tools. It's not too big or heavy and it's easy to find what I need because the pockets don't cover each other and each tool goes back in the same place every time.

I use a regular tool box for the less common tools.

Comment

I am assuming you mean the tools that you carry into each job, what do you use to carry them?

Gasp, I use a Home Depot Husky tool carrier. I actually have two. One is probably 22 inches long and can carry a lot of stuff. The one I carry most often is about 12 by 10 and it carrys a good amount. I find my larger one has multiple things like 5 different screwdrivers, 4 which get used only rarely. maybe 4 different chisels, 2 which almost never get used, more sets of pliers than I need. In the littler bag I seldom have room for more than one or two items that I have multiples. And sometimes I am using a 1/2 inch chisel when a 1 inch would be better but can get by with what I have with me.

If I am on a job that has a large "honey do" list I may bring them both in with me. I am just about assured that somewhere on that list I will need some odd tool that does not go in my smaller carrier and I would have to go get it and probably several other tools in the course of the day.

I know that many talked about the Veto bags as being the end all. I ordered several and decided that just the bag alone was already heavy and could not really imagine my filling it with tools. I did stuff a few things in there and decided I did not like it that well so sent it back.

Comment

For me, I carry quite a bit in my toolbelt at all times. But what I don't need right away is kept either in a regular tool box or in a large tote that I put my toolbelt into. If I need some to carry some hand tools into a place and/or don't need the belt, then I use some bags just about like Beezo uses, even from Home Depot! The smaller one usually has my cordless tool batteries and chargers in it, but I take them out if I need something else in there. I am more of a toolbelt person, whatever that looks like.
        Jason Laws
        Plain In Maine
        Amity, Maine
        plaininmaine.houzz.com

" ... I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock: And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock" (Matthew 7:24-25 KJV).

Comment

I have two Veto Pro Packs, good bags but I'll never purchase another because they are not worth the money. Totally over priced for what they are, especially when (I'm with Beezo on this one) Husky is a fraction of the price and does the same exact thing, hold tools. Plus being a HD product returns are easy. Husky has a 20" Pro Tool Bag with a plastic insert in the center which is a great feature because it completely eliminates tools such as chisels to wear through.

Most of my hand tools are organized in commercial grade attached lid containers which are easily stackable and transported with the heavy duty Vergo folding hand truck.

Being organized as a general remodeler is difficult due to the many types of tools, equip etc.. I found compartmentalizing them into either milk creates and attached lid containers and a few tote tool bags to work best for my needs.
          Gary

Comment

Using a truck work cap, I have to keep everything very organized, whether hand tools or not. I have side access doors, but they simply open to the inside, as the whole inside is open. The stuff I need the most is right at the side doors or close to the very back door. But everything is grouped together - all small power tools, nails, screws and other supplies on one side. Things like a table saw, miter saw, etc., on the other side. I put everything in the same place, every time.

Now, if only I could be that way in the house, things would be neater.....
            Jason Laws
            Plain In Maine
            Amity, Maine
            plaininmaine.houzz.com

" ... I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock: And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock" (Matthew 7:24-25 KJV).

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Laws View Post
              Using a truck work cap, I have to keep everything very organized, whether hand tools or not. I have side access doors, but they simply open to the inside, as the whole inside is open. The stuff I need the most is right at the side doors or close to the very back door. But everything is grouped together - all small power tools, nails, screws and other supplies on one side. Things like a table saw, miter saw, etc., on the other side. I put everything in the same place, every time.

Jason,
              can you put up a picture of your truck set-up?
              Depending on what you have, I may be able to show some examples of how others approach carrying their tools and storing them in trucks
              Hans
              TSOrganize
              www.TSOproducts.com
              Transport Store Organize

Comment

Originally posted by TSOrganize View Post
                Jason,
                can you put up a picture of your truck set-up?
                Depending on what you have, I may be able to show some examples of how others approach carrying their tools and storing them in trucks
                Hans
                I don't have a picture handy at the moment, but I can maybe take one sometime. As far as seeing pictures of how other people store their tools, that would be fine, as long as it isn't a bias towards TSOrganize's products, as I am not interested in a sales pitch.
                Jason Laws
                Plain In Maine
                Amity, Maine
                plaininmaine.houzz.com

Comment

Those husky bags from the depot do the trick.
                  Cheap and hold well

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Laws View Post

Cool, what truck cap are you using? Would be interested in seeing a picture too!

Comment

I gave up on the Veto bags too, right off the bat they were too heavy let alone loading them with tools. I also got the HD rolling Husky bag. Bottom line, no matter what I tried all the bags were heavy unless I used a number of smaller bags then I'm making multiple trips to the van to get them out. So weight is just something I've learned to deal with, hence the rollers on the Husky bag.

Things I don't like with the bag are it's very tall and I have to dig deep to find tools. It's heavy and awkward to carry when going up stairs, decks, etc. for the long traverses the rollers make it bearable. If it had a few inches less of height then it'd be better, but I've been using this for years now and is the best for me at this point.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-18-...1N11/203124166

Comment

Working...
                      X