Announcement

Collapse

ALERT - Threads Not Displaying

A large number of threads from the last 12 months are no longer displaying in the individual Forums. The technical team is aware of the problem and we are working to resolve it. We apologize for the inconvenience. Thank you for your patience.
See more
See less

Paperstone countertop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paperstone countertop

Has anybody here installed this material? Looking for feedback please.

http://www.thenaturalabode.com/green...countertop.htm
    Last edited by tomthetoolman40; 03-12-2012, 01:40 PM. Reason: add link........duh
    Tom

"Whoever ceases to be a student has never been a student." George Iles

Re: Paperstone countertop

We've used it several times. We're using Richlite more these days, but it's basically the same thing. It's tough to work, but you can use regular woodworking tools. I think it looks pretty cool - kind of like the synthetic slate of those old lab tables.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Dancing Dan; 03-12-2012, 01:47 PM.

Comment

I've used it a couple times, and use Richlite regularly too. I found it easy to work with, although it is heavy. Use sharp tools. Hand planes don't work very well.
      http://www.lavrans.com

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp posts; for support rather than illumination." -Andrew Lang

Comment

How does this stuff hold up in a kitchen setting, including around the sink?

I've installed it once, in a utility room. Seemed easy to scratch... compared to granite.
        Bailer Hill Construction, Inc. - Friday Harbor, WA
        Website - Facebook

Comment

Thanks guys. How do you finish the front edge? Is this a solid material, or like plywood with layers?
          Tom

"Whoever ceases to be a student has never been a student." George Iles

Comment

Seems to hold up fine. Can chip a little with an undermount - good place for a slightly bigger chamfer than on the edges if you can.

And Tom - it's sort of like plywood - it's got a top layer you need to take care of.

Comment

What it is: paper saturated with epoxy and compressed. It has some grain. It I fairly impervious to most things, but you really should resell edges around under mount sinks. I think it's better to think of as a marble or slate- it will patina over time; may look a little weird for a little bit, but will get a very cool patina after a time.

It's not granite or plastic.

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp posts; for support rather than illumination." -Andrew Lang

Comment

For those who have used it - how does it hold up to UV exposure? I've heard it is subject to fading.
                Thanks,
                Ben

Comment

Ben - I kept a piece rolling around in the back of my truck over a winter to see how it would do - didn't seem to lighten enormously.

Comment

Originally posted by Lavrans View Post
                    What it is: paper saturated with epoxy and compressed. It has some grain. It I fairly impervious to most things, but you really should resell edges around under mount sinks. I think it's better to think of as a marble or slate- it will patina over time; may look a little weird for a little bit, but will get a very cool patina after a time.

It's not granite or plastic.
                    As I understand, and was told by our local supplier, the product is comprised of multiple layers of recycled paper bound (compressed) by nut resins thereby making it a green product, not epoxy. Under it's "Paperstone" name, it was manufactured in Washington State, not so green for us in the NE. Richlite (as I have been told), is made by one of the guys from that company but now in PA, a bit better for us up here.

It does work like wood and holds up pretty damn well. I made a vessel sink out of some scraps for my office bathroom and have not had an issue in two years. I'll test it for a while longer and then have the market on hippie sinks and charge accordingly!

As far as it's use for counter tops, not in my house. I prefer a local product like slate or concrete, or wood where it's appropriate.
                    Portland Renovations, Inc.
                    www.portlandrenovations.com

Comment

It doesn't do a whole lot, but will fade a little bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Dancing Dan View Post
                        Ben - I kept a piece rolling around in the back of my truck over a winter to see how it would do - didn't seem to lighten enormously.
                        Uh, "kept a piece rolling around in the back of my truck"...as if that was experimentation versus being too lazy to clean out the bed of you truck.
                        Portland Renovations, Inc.
                        www.portlandrenovations.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                          As I understand, and was told by our local supplier, the product is comprised of multiple layers of recycled paper bound (compressed) by nut resins thereby making it a green product, not epoxy. Under it's "Paperstone" name, it was manufactured in Washington State, not so green for us in the NE. Richlite (as I have been told), is made by one of the guys from that company but now in PA, a bit better for us up here.

It does work like wood and holds up pretty damn well. I made a vessel sink out of some scraps for my office bathroom and have not had an issue in two years. I'll test it for a while longer and then have the market on hippie sinks and charge accordingly!

As far as it's use for counter tops, not in my house. I prefer a local product like slate or concrete, or wood where it's appropriate.
                          Hey- you are correct. It's made with "petro-free resins".

Comment

Seeing as it is a nut resin, what about those with nut allergies? Should they avoid the product?

Tom
                            http://chicagocraftsmen.org/2011/06/261.html

Check with the AHJ, what we say doesn't matter.

Comment

I don't think so- it has been certified for use in labs & healthcare facilities. Or... It was.

Comment

Working...
                              X