Announcement

Collapse

ALERT - Threads Not Displaying

A large number of threads from the last 12 months are no longer displaying in the individual Forums. The technical team is aware of the problem and we are working to resolve it. We apologize for the inconvenience. Thank you for your patience.
See more
See less

Floating a Mortar Bed on a Balcony

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Floating a Mortar Bed on a Balcony

Your plan is about 20 years behind the times. I would look at waterproofing applied OVER the mortar bed, if you use mortar at all, which many here would not.
    Bailer Hill Construction, Inc. - Friday Harbor, WA
    Website - Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by tjbnwi View Post
      Again just something I have noticed, I know I would not leave an exposed edge.

Tom
      Tom,
      Certainly just exposed mortar would not look good. A better approach would be to tile this surface also. I will have to think about this, I would have to have the mortar bed stop short of the edge as I wouldn't want the edge tile to stick out over the edge of the balcony.

Comment

The exposed mortar would be a problem as it would suck in moisture and that would expand and pop tiles. After several cycles the lime would leach out and it would become crumbly. A really bad Idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Kgphoto View Post
          The exposed mortar would be a problem as it would suck in moisture and that would expand and pop tiles. After several cycles the lime would leach out and it would become crumbly. A really bad Idea.
          KG, there shouldn't be any lime in the deck mud in the first place.

Comment

Pesto, if you want to spend the money, the Laticrete Plaza and Deck System is a great way to do an exterior installation like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Z View Post
              KG, there shouldn't be any lime in the deck mud in the first place.
              You are correct. I used the wrong terminology. It is the salts that leach out, called efflorescence.

Comment

Congratulations, KG just hit 4,000 posts.
                ....Bob Lavery
                "One should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed."
                William of Occam quote

Comment

Originally posted by PaliBob View Post
                  Congratulations, KG just hit 4,000 posts.
                  And 3,845 of them were arguing with the monkeys in the drywall forum. :)

Comment

STOP! Before tiling or waterproofing a deck, do a lot more research. The edge detail is one of many important details that if not done right, will kill the deck dead in 5-8 years...

Mer-Krete has a detail at their www.merkrete.com site that shows a double flashed edge with a wood stop strip to hold the mortar bed at the edge and gives you a nailer to for the secondary flashing piece.

Check out www.deckexpert.com for more information on waterproofing decks, I have put up lots and lots of free info for you to utilize!

Make sure to read Duradek's president/ownerJohn Oglivie's article on tiling decks...

Comment

Hey Thanks Guys. I didn't notice the milestone.

Comment

Originally posted by pestocat View Post
                        I will be floating a mortar bed on a balcony 4 ft. wide by 11 ft. long. There is nothing to confine the outside edges of the bed. How is this non confinement handled. Do I float to the edge and use a steel trowel to make a sharp cut just short of the edge and just make sure I have it compacted well. Maybe use my hand to confine the mortar at the edge. A little excess will fall off the edge. Is this the way it is done? After reading Michael Byrne's article "Tiling an Outdoor Countertop", it seems I could add temporary edging to the bacony facia that would be at the finish height of the mortar bed. Seems like a solution.

Project complete except for a little facia detail. Here is a photo album for the details. http://forums.jlconline.com/forums/album.php?albumid=38
                        Thank you for all the discussion and support.

Comment

Working...
                        X