presure treated LVL's or glulams

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• presure treated LVL's or glulams

I have a client that wants a new deck built. I have found several companies that pressure treat glulam beams but in 31/2 inch thickness or larger. Is there any companies that pressure treat LVL or glulams in the 1 3/4 Inch thickness to use as joists. Just looking for an alternative to typical PT SYP.

Re: presure treated LVL's or glulams

I haven't seen anything in that size that is exterior grade. I know you can get LSL Pressure treated, and might be able to get it for that size, but it would be expensive. Are you just looking for straightness?
    http://www.lavrans.com

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp posts; for support rather than illumination." -Andrew Lang

Comment

LVL does not lend itself to the pressure treatment process due to the glue lines and density of the material. There are treated PSL members out there but not sure of availablity of 1 3/4"w members.

I-joists have the same issues as LVL w/ treatment.

Overall, the demand for treated engineered wood products is not there so it has not been a focus of r & d. Treated SYP is still the top dog.

Comment

just looking for straightness and more uniformity in the material. Thanks.

Comment

Besides glu-lam, this is the only treated engineered product that I know of. I hear it's kinda spendy...

http://www.ilevel.com/exterior/e_Par...L_treated.aspx
          Last edited by patrick; 03-19-2008, 03:56 PM. Reason: pricing comment added

Comment

Originally posted by fgoldby View Post
            just looking for straightness and more uniformity in the material. Thanks.
            Then just special order an appearance grade of lumber in the size you need. Keep in mind the structural properties may be somewhat less than a structural grade of the same dimension. Then have THAT pressure treated, and maybe KDAT

Comment

Steel joists

Comment

Originally posted by Kgphoto View Post
                Steel joists
                What he said.
                Your guy lost. Get over it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kgphoto View Post
                  Steel joists
                  its a deck, around here steel would rust in a few years fall apart.
                  i would look in to a stainless steel beam however or a stainless fletch beam

Lou

Comment

Steel framing can be protected from the weather.
                    Your guy lost. Get over it.

Comment

I have priced the deck using Metwood's system with galvanized beams, joists, columns and decking with concrete topping. This is the method I would prefer, but the client wants to look @ Pt structure and Ipe decking. I will give them the numbers and let them choose. Thanks for the input.

Comment

Originally posted by fgoldby View Post
                        I have priced the deck using Metwood's system with galvanized beams, joists, columns and decking with concrete topping. This is the method I would prefer, but the client wants to look @ Pt structure and Ipe decking. I will give them the numbers and let them choose. Thanks for the input.
                        You should be able to get your PT pretty straight, you'll just have to pick it. I am pretty liberal with the use of 4x material also, to help support the structure. That seems to help keep things in plane.
                        http://www.lavrans.com

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp posts; for support rather than illumination." -Andrew Lang

Comment

Not to change the thread, but I have a deck with a 21' span for the grider or beam depending on which way it is framed. I had thought of using a treated LVL or Glulam, now all of you have me thinking flitch plate. Which do you think would be better in the long run?

Comment

Steel for a deck??? How bad can the lumber be that someone would use steel just for straightness?
                            Joe Carola

Comment

Joe not for straightness for span.

Comment

Working...
                              X