Bug and Defect Report Email Address

NOTICE: Thank you for your continued patience with the persistent bugs affecting the JLC Online Forums. We've setup a special email address for reporting issues and defects. Reports will go directly to the assigned IT team members. Please include screenshots if you can. There were some widespread issues over the past weekend which have been resolved. However, we know that various error pop-ups are still occurring during post composition and at other times. Thanks again. Here's the email address:
See more
See less

fiber cement siding over T1-11?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fiber cement siding over T1-11?

My house curently has T1-11 siding over celatex. What I would like to do is install fiber cement siding. Some folks tell me that I should just go over the T1-11. My gut feeling is that if I want to do it right that I should remove the old siding, install a vapor wrap and then side with the fiber cement. It does represent a lot more work but I don't want the job to look like a typical 'home owner's' project. Most of all I want it to be right. Any opinions or suggestions????????

Re: fiber cement siding over T1-11?

Be careful, the T1-11 may be the diaphram that is bracing your house (although I doubt it because of the Celotex behind it). First of all I would check and see if there is a weatherproof barrier behind the Celotex, installing two weatherproof barriers could cause problems trapping moisture between them. If there is a weatherproof barrier behind the Celotex, I would daiphram nail off the T1-11 and repaint it. I would not install fiber-cement, if you don't like the look of the T1-11 after it is renailed and painted, I would recommend siding over the existing T1-11 with cedar, stucco, or even 12" o.c. Reverse Board and Batten T1-11. If there is no weatherproof barrier behind the Celotex, I would install 15# felt on top of the existing T1-11, if there is a weatherproof barrier behind the Celotex, I would *not* install another weatherproof barrier but would install the new siding directly on the existing T1-11 leaving the existing plywood as sheathing and bracing. Fiber-cement has no structural value whatsoever, and cheapens a house. It has proven a disaster on roofs, and the attorneys are now looking hard at it as a siding material. I would lump it into the same "junk" category as aluminum, vinyl and asbestos siding. I would venture to predict that houses with fiber-cement will be unsellable within a few years (at least without giving a credit to the purchaser for the cost of removal and residing).

Re: fiber cement siding over T1-11?

Two Questions:
      Don, are you using FC panels or planks? It makes a huge difference.
      Dick, Are you basing your opinion of FS on your experience? Will you give more details please.