Super Plasticizer in site mixed concrete

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super Plasticizer in site mixed concrete

Because of access issues I have some site mixed concrete work ahead of me. I need to get good flow.

Any notes on using super plasticizers/water reducers with site-mixed concrete?
    Maybe a yard or so, mixed in an electric mixer, 2 60lb sacks at a time.

I did find these packets from RapidSet, I like their stuff in general:
    http://www.ctscement.com/wp-content/...S_070_EN_9.pdf

Seems designed for smaller pours though.

thanks,
    kevin
    Last edited by kfc510; 07-16-2017, 09:53 PM.
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” - Upton Sinclair

Kevin, I did a foundation cap job a few years ago and didn't realize it was an issue finding a water reducer/plasticizer locally off the shelf. Nobody I contacted stocked it. I was able to get Buddy Rhodes Water Reducer from Muller Construction Supply(they shipped it from SJ warehouse to SF). It's liquid and you use 8-20 oz per 100 lbs of cement. At the 8 oz rate(which is what I used), this comes out to a hair over ½ tablespoon per 60 lb bag of concrete mix. This is the first and only time I've used a water reducer/plasticizer and was amazed at how well it worked with the small quantity I added to each batch. If I recall correctly, I mixed about ¾ yd.

http://www.buddyrhodes.com/water-reducer-adva-555/
    Steve

Comment

Great design is all about details. With innovative material selection, sensible construction techniques and modern aesthetics one can craft a unique design language that sets a new standard.

Comment

Originally posted by stamcon View Post
        Kevin, I did a foundation cap job a few years ago and didn't realize it was an issue finding a water reducer/plasticizer locally off the shelf. Nobody I contacted stocked it. I was able to get Buddy Rhodes Water Reducer from Muller Construction Supply(they shipped it from SJ warehouse to SF). It's liquid and you use 8-20 oz per 100 lbs of cement. At the 8 oz rate(which is what I used), this comes out to a hair over ½ tablespoon per 60 lb bag of concrete mix. This is the first and only time I've used a water reducer/plasticizer and was amazed at how well it worked with the small quantity I added to each batch. If I recall correctly, I mixed about ¾ yd.

http://www.buddyrhodes.com/water-reducer-adva-555/
        Steve
        Thanks, Steve, once again you have given me real, concrete (heh) advice. I owe you another beer/coffee/cigar/whatever.

I didn't quite follow the proportions- 8 to 20 oz per 100 lbs becomes 1/2 tablespoon per 60lbs? It must be concentrate or something?

thanks,
        kevin
        “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” - Upton Sinclair

Comment

Kevin, 8-20 fluid oz of water reducer per 100 lbs of CEMENT. 5 sack/yd= 470lbs of cement in a yard of concrete. 60, 60lb bags of concrete mix per yard. 470/60bags= 7.833 lbs cement in each bag of concrete mix. 8 fl.oz/100lbs = .62 fl.oz/7.833lbs. A tablespoon is .5 fl/oz. So a little over a tablespoon of water reducer per 60lb bag would be ~8oz/100lbs of cement.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by stamcon View Post
            Kevin, 8-20 fluid oz of water reducer per 100 lbs of CEMENT.

Steve
            Ah, per 100 lbs of Portland. Got it. Thanks.
            kevin

Comment

Talked to Mueller, it sounds like they can hook me up. Thanks, Steve.

(And I called the local yards, White Cap, etc. and they all struck out. White Cap sounded like maybe they could get something together, but it wasn't straightforward. Mueller said "We've got 3 qts. of 555 in San Jose, can have it in SF by tomorrow or maybe the next day. We can order gallons if you need it.")

So pretty much exactly what you pointed me at.

kevin
              Last edited by kfc510; 07-20-2017, 12:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X