Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

I took my RRP class...What a joke!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I took my RRP class...What a joke!

Originally posted by Bill Robinson View Post
    Dean, would it be safe to say they are predominantly homo sapiens living in homes built before 1978?

And as far as I can see there is no one demographic with a preponderance of propensities for elevated BLL.
    Mostly people , However, many dogs and cats. Just hope PETA doesn't catch on
    Dean

Comment

I watch these crime shows sometimes, there was recently a true story where a 2 year old died in New York City from lead poisoning. They discovered he had played on the front porch of his apartment and ate some of the paint off of the wood railing. Apparently in NYC there is a testing and reporting procedure apartment owners are supposed to go through and if needed they are to remove the lead paint. In further digging into it they found out the owner had falsified the report to the City. They charged him with manslaughter.
      ============================================

[url=http://twitter.com/Allan_Edwards]Twitter[/url]

[url=http://houzz.com/pro/allan]Houzz[/url]

Comment

Working on a EBL Investigation right now that is a 2 year old American born (parents from Pakistan). Home was built in 2001. I went in thinking it was going to be spices.

May end up, that a Caucasian GC didn't provide OSHA 1926.62 to his painting contractors (Mexico). They (Mexican workers) brought the lead dust and transferred it to their home, clothing and transportation. The dust from one of the Mexican workers was transferred to his wife (and possible his kids). His wife is a nanny for the 2 year old (Pakistan).

It will end up to where the home having the painting done, will need a EBL Investigation, because that family (African American) has children.

Basically, covering all races with this one.
        Dean

Comment

There has been, and there is ongoing controversy on this, the EPA didn't want to go ahead until the research was complete but The Sierra Club sued them forcing them to go ahead, that's undoubtedly the reason for all the confusing regulations.

At issue is the fact that certain minorities have a much higher rate of lead poisoning, and there are questions if certain minorities are more susceptible to lead poisoning, lets face it, only certain blacks have the gene for sickle cell anemia, and certain Jews carry the gene for several inherited diseases. There are also studies showing that susceptibility is diet related and can be mitigated by proper diet

An affiliate of Johns Hopkins was recently sued in a class action for their research:

Originally posted by New York Times
          Racial Bias Seen in Study of Lead Dust and Children

A class-action lawsuit was filed Thursday against a prominent Baltimore medical institute, accusing it of knowingly exposing black children as young as a year old to lead poisoning in the 1990s as part of a study exploring the hazards of lead paint.

Lawyers for the plaintiffs say that more than 100 children were endangered by high levels of lead dust in their homes despite assurances from the Kennedy Krieger Institute that the houses were “lead safe.”

The institute, a research and patient care facility for children that is affiliated with Johns Hopkins University, periodically tested the children’s blood to determine lead levels.

But, the lawsuit said, Kennedy Krieger provided no medical treatment to the children, who ranged in age from 12 months to 5 years old. Lead exposure was a significant cause of permanent neurological injuries in some of the children, according to the suit. Johns Hopkins, which approved the study, is not a defendant in the lawsuit.

The lead paint study, which started in 1993 and continued for six years, was designed to determine how well various levels of lead abatement would reduce lead in the blood of young children. The buildings where the study was carried out were generally in poor neighborhoods of Baltimore. Litigation surrounding the research has gone on for more than a decade, and in 2001 the Maryland Court of Appeals compared the study to the Tuskegee syphilis experiment, which withheld medical treatment for African-American men with syphilis.

According to the lawsuit, Kennedy Krieger helped landlords get public financing for lead abatements and helped select families with young children to rent apartments where lead dust problems had been only partly eliminated so that the children’s blood could be measured for lead over a two-year period, according to the lawsuit.

“What they would do was to improve the lead hazard from what it was but not improve it to code,” said Thomas F. Yost Jr., one of the lawyers who filed the suit.¹
          And Dean, I am not one to take potential toxins lightly, I will not place caulking or sealants of any kind in a home, I will not install any kind of Styrofoam in a home, I will not install any treated wood in a home, either fire-treated or insect treated, in fact attached is a note on the first page of my plans alerting all subcontractors that they are not to use certain chemical substances, note that lead is not one of them, in fact I think the polyethylene used to abate it can potentially be more harmful to health than the lead being abated. I think banning the lead in paint was a good idea, but I also think it more important to ban toxic substances in new construction, tearing an old home down has become exponentially more expensive because of prior asbestos and lead abatement required; however, that doesn't really affect me since tearing a home down has become impossible given the environmentalists here, should I run into a pre-1978 home and have to play the game of creating a new home out of it I'll just hire the same people that I hire to do asbestos and mold abatement,my owners will have to pay the additional costs required.

aram-plan-note.jpg

BTW, because of the current attacks on copper (Palo Alto has outlawed it in any runoff situations because of the adverse affects on fish) I'm eliminating copper downspouts and leader pipes, with sill and shower pans I'm going to marine grade stainless steel. I was going to do my sills and shower pans in lead but my fear is some guy with an XFR gun will damage the value of the property should the owner ever have to sell.

¹ http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/16/us...to-lead.html#h[]
          Last edited by Dick Seibert; 04-30-2012, 07:38 PM.
          "The only communists left in the world are in American Universities."

--Mikhail Gorbachev

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Seibert View Post
            There has been, and there is ongoing controversy on this, the EPA didn't want to go ahead until the research was complete but The Sierra Club sued them forcing them to go ahead ... (the rest of the post)
            Dick,

I have not run across studies that show that a particular race is more susceptible to getting lead poisoned because of their physical makeup.

I have read about the diet.

I do agree that there are a lot of different toxins. Even so, that does not make lead less important. EPA still considers lead to be the number one environmental threat (children).
            Dean

Comment

Dean:

I linked you to one above. I don't feel like researching it but there have been studies to try to determine a genetic link, since boys are three times as much at risk as girls there are studies linking it to the Y chromosome. There are a lot more toxic chemicals/metals in the environment than lead, now they want to ban copper, what's next?

Because of the environmental damage to the oceans and landfills I think it more appropriate to ban PVC, polyethylene, and styrofoam than lead, and many of our cities have done just that, while RRP significantly increases the polyethylene usage, RRP could go a long way in credibility if they substituted cloth for polyethylene.

--Mikhail Gorbachev

Comment

I don't feel like researching it but...
                I get too little time to research too, but when are they coming for you like Carey Hendrickson, who is also in the same industry and of Martinez? Can't be a chromosomal coincidence can it? ;
                Donald on the basis of his net worth valuation-

"...feelings, even my own feelings, and that can change rapidly day to day"

Comment

Mark:

Interesting that Ms Hendrickson worked for Albert Seeno, I was surprised that two fellow law school graduates went to work after graduation for the Seeno companies, on the other hand to be a builder here you have to either be a lawyer or hire them.

Another fact regarding lead poisoning, it was pushed through the legal system by The Sierra Club, I know many members here to be Communists, here is an article in People's World:

Originally posted by Peoples World
                  Three hundred thousand children in the United States are documented as having lead poisoning. Due to poor reporting practices and failure of the health care system to test all children between 1 and 5 years of age, there may be as many as 1 million children with lead poisoning in the U.S. It is an expensive and preventable public health problem. ¹
                  Originally posted by Wikipedia
                  The People's World (PW) is a news web site associated with the Communist Party USA.

The People's World / Mundo Popular, formerly the People's Weekly World / Nuestro Mundo (Spanish title: Our World) is a national, grassroots weekly newspaper and the direct descendant of the Daily Worker, the east coast Communist Party daily newspaper, which was founded in 1924, and the Communist Party's west coast daily newspaper, The Daily People's World. Published by Long View Publishing Co., the PW reports on and analyzes what it sees as the pressing issues and struggles of the day: for workers’ rights, peace, equality, social and economic justice, democracy, civil liberties, women’s rights, protection of the environment, and more.²
                  Enlighten me, why is the Communist Party interested in lead paint?

¹ http://www.peoplesworld.org/1-millio...at-you-can-do/
                  ² http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People%27s_World

--Mikhail Gorbachev

Comment

I know many members here to be Communists,

Enlighten me, why is the Communist Party interested in lead paint?
                    At the risk of asking the obvious, why ask poor little me when you know so many commies? I mean, how the f would I know how to enlighten you? Just how do you know so many anyways? Are you not troubled by 'guilt of association'?
                    Donald on the basis of his net worth valuation-

"...feelings, even my own feelings, and that can change rapidly day to day"

Comment

Mark:

I live near Berkeley, as I've said before I hired the Chairman of the Young Communist Party, you are the ex-professor you tell me.

BTW, did you see that in the ongoing bicycle wars a Japanese car took out two camel-toed (more properly "moose knuckled") spandex clad communists on Tunnel Road? I travel Tunnel Road often going into Berkeley, it's hard to avoid the idiots, especially in a car as wide as a Hummer, but this guy looks like he did it deliberately, or was drunk, or on pot.

--Mikhail Gorbachev

Comment

This is quickly turning into my favorite, most entertaining recent thread.
                        Richie Poor

See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil, value engineer your unit prices.

Comment

Dick, Is that the incident where the cyclists were wearing cameras which filmed the guy hitting them? Of course the film also showed the cyclists blowing through a couple of stop signs.

Comment

John:

Unfortunately this new format doesn't highlight the links, I guess I'll try underlining and bolding the wording in my links, but that is as bad as all caps indicating shouting. Go back to the blue letters in my post and click on them. Yes, I linked the video of the Tunnel Road incident, Tunnel Road was difficult to drive before bicycle lanes, if you look on the left you'll see a concrete wall, the street is bi-level, the south bound traffic is on the lower level, the north bound traffic is on the upper level, the bicycles weave all over the place giving large cars the finger as we try to pass them. There have been other recent incidents around here, in one a gal testing high on pot killed a bicyclist, in another a teenager blaring rock music killed a father and one of the two daughters he had following him in Concord. The tragedy in Concord was the father and his daughters were riding on the sidewalk, where they should be. When I was a kid and rode bicycles we had to ride on the sidewalk and walk our bikes across streets, if there were no sidewalks we had to ride on the streets against traffic, we ought to go back to those rules. As it is there is now an outcry to license bicycle riders and bicycles, and make them post insurance.

What does this have to do with lead paint? Its' all the communist agenda of the radical left, the peacnicks who want to destroy this country and our military, like The Sierra Club.

--Mikhail Gorbachev

Comment

Dick,

It was an Acura. I agree, however, if it were a Hummer then it would have been ok, but I really feel this guy should have seen the moose knuckled spandex clad commies.
                              When you've got them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Lead Paint, Bicycles and Commies, I don't know what these three have in common but I'm going to watch this thread and learning something new.
                                Gary

Comment

Working...
                                X