25% increase for WC in CA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 25% increase for WC in CA

Today I received a letter from state fund informing me that my WC premiums are going to be increased a MINIMUM of 25% at policy renewal. I already pay 28% for workers paid over $22 ph and 58% for workers under $22ph and this is for residential interior carpentry work.....and we've never had a claim, or even any kind of minor injury for that matter.

Nice eh?

Just thought I'd share the joy

Steve

Re: 25% increase for WC in CA

Steve:

What do you guys do with subs, do you have to cover them or can they go bare (like Texas) or do you require each to have their own coverage? My point, is using subs cheaper from a WC perspective?

Allan

Comment

Allan:

Yes, using subs 100% is cheaper from a wc perspective, because I don't have to cover them, but a lot more expensive from a gl perspective, although I have not researched specific #'s for the latter. However, all of my subs must carry WC and GL to min of $500k, sign hold harmless, indeminity agreements and add me as additionally insured, as a requirement of my WC and GL policies

I'm sure you are well aware of how difficult it is here for me to work here 100% subbed - almost impossible with the volume that I do (or want to do, I should say) of around $500k-$700k per yr, because of the gl policy restriction of around 30% max.

Steve

Comment

Using subs is not really cheaper. Everyone's Comp insurance has gone up. Not just the Generals. Our sub costs run about 30% of the cost of the project. Approximately 30% of the sub cost is their labor force. Their Comp insurance has increased approximately 50% since January 1st. Who pays for that? We do. Eventually the cost gets passed on to the customer.
        Example-
        Contract for home only $250,000
        Approximate sub costs- (30%) $75,000
        Appx. Subcontractor's Labor Cost- (30%) $22,500
        Increase in comp fees for subs in California since Jan. 1- 50% $11,250
        Increase in comp fees for Generals- (50%) $14,000
        Total fee increase passed on to consumers for a new home since Jan 1st- $25,250.
        Who wins? The guy who can fake a back injury and get paid almost as much to stay home.
        Joe.

Comment

Comment

Dick-

How is it that the subs are not paying taxes? I'm assuming that you're 1099'ing them all at year's end, right? If that's the case, the subs income from your company is being reported- if taxes aren't being paid, it's our illustrious IRS's problem- not the general contractor's. If you're not filing 1099's, then you're perpetuating the very problem that you're looking to solve.

Bob

Comment

I 1099 them Bob, they claim that they have enought write-offs etc. to avoid taxes. Another way they have around it is some incorporate and you don't 1099 corporations, I've never understood why the IRS doesn't allow 1099ing of corporations.

Comment

Well, then I guess they should just continue on as subs, then, and deal with all the paperwork insurance, estimating, warranty work, etc., that it brings along with it. If they're good enough to do all that, then they deserve to be subs and call their own shots, I guess.

Bob

Comment

That's what they want to do, but I can't hire them as subs anymore, that's what Steve and I are facing in California.

Comment

Maybe you guys should check into staff leasing. The state has no plans of reducing the W/C premiums in the near future. The reason behind the increase this time was so the state fund could "beef up" there bottom line. There was an article in the last issue of Southern California Builder about it and also about the SB 800 that was passed earlier this year.

I also heard that the insurance commissioner was runing for Gov here in CA. I find it very interesting that the only company in CA writing W/C coverage (that anyone can afford) is state run. Every time I turn around there is another fee to pay. Yet we are billions of dollars in debt.

The price of 87 octane fuel went from $1.51/ gallon to $1.83/ gallon in the last seven days. What is the cause for this? Did you also know there is 38 cents per gallon taxes on gas. 18 of which goes to guess who? California. Take, take & take. That is all the state does.

I was in my insurance companies office two weeks ago ready to start a fight over the 100% increase in my CGL policy. One of the ladies who works there is married to a plumber. She said he will have paid over $150,000 in W/C premiums by the end of this year!

I just dont get it. How does the small volume contractor stay in business when there are other people out there who dont follow the rules? I will not name any names but I think you know what I mean.

The real fun part is if you have jobs already bid or even worse signed, and you budget X amount of dollars to cover you W/C & CGL costs where does the difference get covered from? YOUR PROFITS! Oh by the way mam I need to charge you 25% more because the greedy, theving, corrupt insurance industry raised all the contractors premiums by 25%. You understand, dont you?

Comment

Carl:

Maybe you hit on the problem. If generals can't subcontract, it eliminates the small subcontractors that don't pay comp by doing the work themselves, or those little subs that pay their employees under the table. If almost every small subcontractor goes on to the generals' payrolls, then much more is paid into the Comp fund and it solves their bottom line problem. We generals are ultimately paying, because subs are reneging on their bids.

Comment

My comp rate (I am in Northern California) in September of 2002 for a carpenter under $22.00 per hour was 35%. It now is 62.31%, but it is discounted to 47.31% due to a group rate through my Builder's Exchange. I also get a kickback from the Builder's Exchange based on losses for the group. It still hurts. Like Carl said, when you bid a job last year, start it this year, big surprise when you run a "Budget versus Actual" report and see the loss for insurance.
                        Anyone making over $16.00 per hour, it pays to raise them to $22.00 per hour.

P.S. - Been in business since 1992- same insurance company- No Losses EVER!!

Comment

Comment

There is an interesting article in this morning's paper about the WC crisis here in California. Dozens of carriers have gone broke trying to pay the claims, how can we blame the "greedy" insurance companies for the high rates, when it's our employees that are abusing the system (along with the "greedy" doctors, hospitals, and lawyers)?

Today's Paper

Comment

Dick:

There are several unfunded potential problems on the horizon, including Medicade (several triliion $), private pensions, of course Social Security, deficits at the federal level (I thought Republicans were fiscal conservatives), deficits at state level (see CA), deficits at local level, and now insurance crisis. For those that work and produce better hide your wallet. I think interest rates are getting ready to really spike up. GW has done a good job of lowering taxes, helped me out a lot, but I just worry about deficits.

Allan

Comment

Working...
                              X