Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running 240v power to an out building

Hello:

I am looking to run 240V power to an out building and have a few questions. First, I only have one 110v pull in my electrical box. Do they make a 240v single pull? Do I need to consolidate the breakers? The power I am running is approximately 50' from the main box. I would like to install a sub panel to run a pump. I would also like to run a future sub panel for a garage structure. Do I need to run multiple lines? What size wires should I run? #5's?

Any help would be great!

Re: Running 240v power to an out building

Hire an electrician.
    Bailer Hill Construction, Inc. - Friday Harbor, WA
    Website - Facebook

Comment

A quad breaker such as a 40/20 would replace 2 full breaker spaces and solve your problem. 40 amps should be plenty of power for your well and garage. More thorough planning and consulting a local electrician is highly recommended.

Comment

Welcome to JLC. This site is for peer to peer professional support. See the guidlines from the forum owners below.

I think you have a few too many questions and needs for anyone to guide you safely through the process. Please try the link below. You will get an abundance of help there.

http://www.diychatroom.com/

JLC-Online is a professional construction industry website. The JLC-Online Forums are provided as a free service to help construction professionals share ideas and get answers to their questions about business and technical topics. Only persons with a professional affiliation to the construction industry should post questions or responses.
        Steve

"Get three coffins ready" - A Fistful of Dollars 1964

http://youtu.be/KZ_7br_3y54

Comment

I agree that there are way too many issues to cover in one post on the proper way to install feeders to a remote building unless the original poster has some knowledge in the electrical trade but must disagree with the pointing out about only professionals.

In North Carolina, and you post that you are in NC, the only person that can make electrical installations are licensed electrical contractors and home owners. If the home owner has enough knowledge to make the installation he has more of a right to make the electrical installation than some remodel contractor so to point out this site is for professionals is stupid. The laws here say that he is a professional when it comes to making his own electrical installation and that a remodel contractor is not a professional electrical installer so how can he not be a professional looking for advice?
          Seeking to be the best and the safest in the electrical trade.

Comment

Mike, nice to see you around, but you're wrong. And egregiously so.

Most states have similar arrangements where the HO can pull a permit and do the job. That does NOT mean they consider the HO a professional. It's not stated, implied or otherwise assumed in the least.

Originally posted by jwelectric View Post
            the only person that can make electrical installations are licensed electrical contractors and home owners.
            Not true. Not "home owners" in general, just the one very specific owner of THAT house. And (in my state, at least), only if he actually occupies that house as a primary residence.

Originally posted by jwelectric View Post
            The laws here say that he is a professional when it comes to making his own electrical installation
            No they don't say that. That's your own bizarre interpretation.

Comment

Is there anyone here who thought "oh yeah, this guy can definitely do it himself" when you read the first post??
              Bailer Hill Construction, Inc. - Friday Harbor, WA
              Website - Facebook

Comment

Absolutely not.
                Richie Poor

See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil, value engineer your unit prices.

Comment

Especially after making reference to a '240v single pull'.
                  Richie Poor

See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil, value engineer your unit prices.

Comment

Originally posted by dgbldr View Post
                    Mike, nice to see you around, but you're wrong..
                    Maybe a little wrong but not off base.

Here in good ole North Carolina a homeowner can pull an electrical permit for an electrical installation something that a professional home remodeler cannot do unless it is for his own home.

In this case the professional is not a professional at all when it comes to doing an electrical installation, as he must hold an electrical license, but the homeowner can make that installation therefore my reference to the homeowner being more of a professional than the remodel contractor.

For this site to limit the questions to a remodel contractor just because he calls himself a professional and not answer a question for someone who has the legal right to be doing the work I would think would be being very egregious. I have been making this statement here on this site for more than seven years. If there was someone to whom an answer shouldn’t be given it would be to the unlicensed remodel contractor.

As I have already said in this thread, it is my opinion that the original poster is in way over his/her head and needs more than what this site has to offer.

Comment

You know you don't have to be a genius to understand the intent of the rule of this forum that to be allowed to post here you must be a professional. The most basic definition of that means that you earn your living in this business. It doesn't mean that you have a professional attitude. It doesn't mean that you have to be a business owner. And it certainly doesn't mean that you're a professional in the sense of being allowed to post on the site just because you're allowed to do your own wiring in your own home because the local rules say that you can do so. Do we really need yet another thing to argue about?

Tom
                      1) Unconsciously Incompetent: He knows not, and knows not that he knows not. He is a fool. Shun him.
                      2) Consciously Incompetent: He knows not, and knows that he knows not. He is simple. Teach him.
                      3) Unconsciously Competent: He knows, and knows not that he knows. He is asleep. Wake him.
                      4) Consciously Competent: He knows, and knows that he knows. He is wise. Follow him.

May we all endeavor to progress from not knowing that we know not, to knowing that we know.

Comment

wow, it's just like old times.
                        Francois

Truth is just one man's explanation for what he thinks he understands. (Walter Mosley)

Comment

Bonjour, Francoise, Je pensais que aussi.

Comment

Originally posted by frenchie View Post
                            Originally posted by Mark G View Post
                            Bonjour, Francoise, Je pensais que aussi.
                            wow, it's just like old times.
                            In so much as this site being a bunch of want-a-bees claiming to be professionals in the electrical trade and bashing a do-it-yourselfer I agree

I THINK THAT ALSO

Comment

Originally posted by Mark G View Post
                              Bonjour, Francoise
                              Oh-oh. Gender change?

Comment

Working...
                              X