Romex storage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Romex storage

How do y'all store your rolls of romex? I like to keep mine in the wrapper and pull from the center but that plastic doesn't last very long.

It seems that there ought to be some size of hose reel that might work. I have seen guys who make a plywood sandwich that they set the roll on and then insets some sort of bolt and nuts to keep it together. Then they roll off wire instead of pulling it off the center.

I wonder if one of the orange cord reels might be able to be taken apart and put back together to hold your wire on.

Comment

https://www.amazon.com/Cordpro-Cord-...e+cord+storage

Comment

I have one like this. It can be stud mounted or kept on the floor. Only use it when doing a lot of wiring.

steve

Comment

Thanks guys, I'll get a CordPro and try it out.

Comment

Mark, does that CordPro separate for loading?

steve

Comment

I've had the cord-pro. It's not for romex, it's for extension cords. I didn't care for it, gave it away. It was too cumbersome to wind/unwind the cord.

Steve: It does'nt separate, you have to spin it around to wind the cord in.
              Tom

"Whoever ceases to be a student has never been a student." George Iles

Comment

Mark, just to be clear. I don't recommend for or against the CordPro. I just pointed to the closest thing I know to what you requested.
                We don't use any device of any kind for Romex.

Comment

Thx. I can always return it.
                  Do you just work out of the wrapper?
                  I've done it that way for 30 years. I guess another 5 years won't hurt me.
                  Last edited by Mark G; 04-01-2017, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Mark, I don't personally do much wiring but I've watched my electrician's guys working for years. They usually have a 1,000ft roll or larger that they bring into the building without wrapper and put it down on the floor. Then they start pulling wire off of it. It never seems to become entangled or disorderly. And by the end of the day they've used all or most of it.
                    I've worked out of the wrapper myself with small rolls, you can put a wrap of packing clear tape on the outside circumference to strengthen it. But it's usually strong enough, a 100ft roll doesn't need to last very long.

Comment

Working...
                    X