Announcement

Collapse

ALERT - Threads Not Displaying

A large number of threads from the last 12 months are no longer displaying in the individual Forums. The technical team is aware of the problem and we are working to resolve it. We apologize for the inconvenience. Thank you for your patience.
See more
See less

Pressure treated sill plate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pressure treated sill plate

I was just told by my building inspector that I need to change out my sill plate on a inside closet wall that is not load bearing.Does this sound correct.It is on a slab floor, vapor barier under the concrete.
    thanks in advance.
    jss

Re: Pressure treated sill plate

On Long Island - NY - If it is Contact with Concrete he is Correct.

MPS

Comment

I lost my Uniform Building Code some time ago, but as I remember it, anything anywhere in this country at least, if in comes into contact with concrete it has to be green. I was called on a stud in a basement that was against a concrete wall supportint a beam, in Colorado.
      Also note "I just saw this last week" do not burn womanized wood, the fumes are a killer "cynide" if you sniff it, it will surley put your tool in the dirt. I thought everyone knew this.
      see me Mike

Comment

Green pressure treated is good but if you've got access to the black use it. It is rated for ground contact.

That's all I use in building any more unless it goes any where near gardening beds, which is a whole other ball park. In fact I know of several of my suppliers who don't carry any thing other than the Black now.

And the wetter the lumber the better for me. It means the less splinters I get and less garbage lumber I have to kul through.

Comment

If it is in contact with concrete it must be treated. That is all I have ever known. Now if it is copper nap or borate that seems to be a debate. I really like the "envoronmentally friendly" aspects of borate. For ground contact I have always used ammoniacal arsenate but man that stuff is nasty!

Comment

According to ICBO codes, if the slab is at least 3" thick, and has a vapor barrier underneath, plates do not need to be treated.

Comment

LOCAL Code supercedes ICBO when it is more restrictive. Long Island is a giant sand bar- It has been said that just about every home here has had or will have a termite invasion. Termites come up the masonry wall or through cracks in concrete. Therefore CCA sills are required when in contact with masonry - no matter how thick it is.
              MPS

Comment

Working...
              X