Announcement

Collapse

ALERT - Threads Not Displaying

A large number of threads from the last 12 months are no longer displaying in the individual Forums. The technical team is aware of the problem and we are working to resolve it. We apologize for the inconvenience. Thank you for your patience.
See more
See less

elevated concrete deck

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: elevated concrete deck

Originally posted by DWeckler View Post
    2 more. Anyone interested.
    Beautiful work. i love it!

I've used p.lam for a glass like finish before. Same deal, 1 cycle and throw it away.

That job you did turned out really nice.
    Last edited by dave_k; 07-18-2009, 07:56 AM.

Comment

The stairs are poured in place. There are 4 steel posts in the surrounding walls and we tied rebar beams across them. The form work is much the same as a wood set of spiral stairs. 2 sets of walls, joists and decking then alot of bracing. I will try to post some scans of the form work tomorrow.Thanks for the complement.

Comment

I would build this without a wood structure.Is it legal to support masonry off of a wood structure in your area?I have always poured concrete columns (8"x8") for support, but have seen steel posts used before.Why would you use a material that will rot to support such a load? If you are unsure, a local welding shop can form it with pans.

Comment

Pic of finished stairs.Only one I have.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by DWeckler View Post
            I would build this without a wood structure.Is it legal to support masonry off of a wood structure in your area?I have always poured concrete columns (8"x8") for support, but have seen steel posts used before.Why would you use a material that will rot to support such a load? If you are unsure, a local welding shop can form it with pans.
            There are 2 ways of handling an elevated concrete slab. Either you build a suspended slab which is a self supporting structure or a composite slab where the formwork is part of the structure. I've never heard of anyone building a composite slab with a plywood deck but that doesn't mean they don't do it in other locals. The reason I recommended Hambro or similar systems is because all the company does are composite slabs mostly in residential and light commercial applications.

I've built suspended slabs, composite decks off a steel structure with OWSJ's and q deck and hambro and hambro is the easiest to work with, design through construction. I have never paid for a hambro deck so I can't comment on the cost as compared to other methods.

If it was my own house, all things being equal, I would build a suspended slab. The reason being I'm very familiar with the construction methods and I could reuse the formwork. The cost would probably be greater for a suspended slab over a system like hambro or even a wood joist system using Q deck because the steel truss joists and decking allow for a thiner slab and minimize reinforcing steel to probably just wire mesh.

Comment

Working...
            X