Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How big a header do I need for an 8' passthrough

Hi,

My wife wants me to cut a pass through hole (8' wide by 3 1/2' high) in the wall separating the dining room from the living room. This is a centrally located load bearing wall near the center of our single story house in southern calif. I'm thinking 2 2"X10"s with 1/2 plywood in between. Overkill or not enough? Also, should I use 1 or 2 jack studs to support the header at each end?

Thanks,

Roy

Re: How big a header do I need for an 8' passthrough

You need to have an engineer come out and study this.

Not only is there the issue of enough strength in the header, there are also questions of maintaining shear strength and shear transfer if this is a shearwall, and the transfer to the foundation of what used to be a distributed load, but would be two point loads after the change.

Comment

Use a 4-ply 1-3/4"x24" LVL with three rows of 5/8" bolts spaced 6" O.C. and stagger them. That "might" hold it up.
      Your guy lost. Get over it.

Comment

Bill,
        Come on 4 ply 24", that can't span 8'. You know better than that. Oh and since its only spanning 8' no nead for jack studs, a couple 8D toenails ought to hold it just fine. After all when you wrap the openings in sheetrock it will bear on that for extra support.
        Rob
        O'Brien and Sons Construction
        Swansboro NC

Comment

either look at the prescriptive code book for your area or see post #2

Comment

Don't forget to use header glue too.

Comment

Originally posted by O'BrienConstruction View Post
              Bill,
              Come on 4 ply 24", that can't span 8'. You know better than that.
              Hey, I justified my guess by saying it "might" work.

Comment

How old is the house? Is the roof stick-framed? What type of foundation? What is beneath the new bearing points? Will new pads and posts needed to be added? What spans and loads are you including in your calculations? What type of beam load calculating software are you using? What shear loads and wind loads are you using? What Building code book is in effect in your area?
                It is a simple matter of being patient. I do patience very well, except for the waiting part. That's the one aspect of patience that still bites me.

I'm not saying I'm Superman. What I'm saying is no one has ever seen me and Superman in the same room together.

ParkWest Homes LLC
                Working Man Online Store
                Living Healthy

Comment

Depends on how much load is on it.

Comment

The Super Hooty Header Company just came out with a new helium filled titanium header that negates any point load problems in situations such as these. Might be worth a look-see. :)
                    Tom

Support your country always, support your government only when they deserve it! - Mark Twain
                    This fall, fire them all, DON'T RE-ELECT ANYONE!

Comment

Originally posted by Toolwhore View Post
                      The Super Hooty Header Company just came out with a new helium filled titanium header that negates any point load problems in situations such as these. Might be worth a look-see. :)
                      i just ordered a stilleto from them:)
                      Arne Mckinley

Comment

Originally posted by Toolwhore View Post
                        I just shop there for the wings
                        CJ

Comment

Do they sell sky-hooks too? I've sold lumber to many jobs that could use a set of those.

Comment

I noticed in their catalog that their block stretcher still has the old canooche valve set up. On this guy's job he will need at least two block stretchers but I would hold off until they come out with the new valves. The new valves come with a lifetime warranty, I hear.
                            It is a simple matter of being patient. I do patience very well, except for the waiting part. That's the one aspect of patience that still bites me.

I'm not saying I'm Superman. What I'm saying is no one has ever seen me and Superman in the same room together.

ParkWest Homes LLC
                            Working Man Online Store
                            Living Healthy

Comment

You should visit there store, the second tuesday of every week they have specials on nailgun air.
                              Rob
                              O'Brien and Sons Construction
                              Swansboro NC

Comment

Working...
                              X