Straight or Curved Ti-Bone

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Straight or Curved Ti-Bone

I am farley new to the forum and would like to buy a Ti-Bone. Unfortunately we do not have a distributor that stocks the hammer in my area. I know that the handle is a matter of personal preferance. I have searched the forum for info and have not found anything to help me make up my mind. Any Pros and Cons would be helpful. Smooth or Milled face, 14 or 15oz.,Straight or curved handle......Please help

By the way I have taken some advice from other members and ordered my Diamondback Tool Belt about 4 weeks ago. I hopefully will be getting it within the next couple of weeks and would like to round out the oufit with a new Stiletto Ti-Bone.....Thanks For Any Help
    Justin Thomas

Re: Straight or Curved Ti-Bone

I have two with the straight handle. Bought them before the curved handle came out....about 5 years ago. I wish I had the curved one.

Sam

Comment

What is it about the straight that you don't like or why do you prefer the curved..............
      Justin Thomas

Comment

I just prefer the feeling of a curved handle. The straight one is just fine. I was the first guy in the area here to buy one when they came out and it was just a month or so later when they came out with the curved handle. My guys all laughed at me as they bought the new ones. I wasn't ready to spend another $200 on a hammer after I already had two.

Sam

Comment

curved handle, smooth face, 15 oz.

this is free, if you're just starting, save the $100 and buy a Vaughan curved handle or equivalent. Titanium hammers are ridiculously overpriced for what they really are as far as a hammer goes.
          Last edited by whiskytangofoxtrot; 04-01-2007, 03:02 PM.
          "I'll bend over backwards to help anybody, but I ain't bending over forwards for nobody"

Paul

Comment

A $200.00 hammer?Makes me think about the post asking if carpenters are well paid in the USA..
            Too much if they are buying $200.00 hammers..
            Kidding aside,I have never heard of them before..With the nail guns how often do you use your hammer to make it worth using that one?
            I like a fiberglass 16 oz. straight claw..
            Allen Colburn
            Pascoag RI
            Residential Drafter/Framer

Comment

Sure is nice to carry around a hammer that weighs half of what all the rest of them do. I have had lots of guys tease me about the expense....let them use mine for a couple of days and they go out and buy one. You can buy the titanium head with wood handle for under $100....I have three of them as well.

Sam

Comment

If you have never heard of them then why are you posting?The question that was brought up is curved or straight handle ti-bone????? I use mine (hammer) enough to know that a framer can be more efficiant with a lighter titanium hammer, Less fatigue, less aching joints,carpol tunnel....... so on and so forth. I am all for new technologies that make us (Framers) more efficient and better at what we do with less impact on our bodies..
                Justin Thomas

Comment

finehomes i apologize i was referring to the previous post
                  Justin Thomas

Comment

I'm sorry I posted.I know no one else ever goes off the threads topic..
                    Criticism comes easier than Craftsmanship
                    (Zeuxis 400 B.C.)
                    Last edited by Allen42ACJ; 04-01-2007, 05:40 PM.
                    Allen Colburn
                    Pascoag RI

Comment

Curved, Ti-Bone, 15 oz. Swing for 2 weeks, you'll never go back.
                      Keith

Comment

Is there a difference in the milled or smooth face? I have always used smooth face hammers and seems that you would have more use for the smooth face and less chance of boogering up what ever you are hitting
                        Justin Thomas

Comment

Justin,

I talked to Joel at Stiletto and he said he sells more curved handle by far than straight handle. I originally ordered the curved handle about 4 years ago and got the straight (lumberyard goofed) and am glad I got the straight.

Here's why, on the DB nail bags the rubber handle gets hung up just a little bit. The newer curved handle Tibones have a thicker handle and I think that the problem would be worse. With my old DBs it wasn't a problem, I just have to twist the hammer as I lift it out and its fine.

The new bags, its taking longer to break that in and sometimes its frustrating.

Which bags did you get? I had the Deluxe Framers Rig the first time and loved them, now I have the Ultimate Framers Rig and they are just a little too big and deep. If I had it to do over again I'd stick with the Deluxe.

I'll just have to wait 10 years for them to wear out so I can get a new set :-)

Now, for all the naysayers out there, according to the March/April 2007 Ski magazine (www.skinet.com), in a column entitled "Whats the Best Diet for My Joints", . . . ."Every pound of weight lost reduces joint pressure by four pounds. In other words, drop 10 pounds and you'll ease the pressure on your knees and hips by 40 pounds."

So a lighter hammer (that is easier on your elbow and shoulder) and keeping your bags light, WILL make a difference in your framing day.

One thing to keep in mind with your Tibone, it does require maintenance. I regularly use a nail puller :-), so every few months I tighten the head of my hammer. Don't use it to drive rebar pins or all thread and it'll last you a long time.

Hope that helps.
                          www.Pioneerbuildersonline.com
                          http://instagram.com/awesomeframers
                          http://www.youtube.com/user/Raftercutter

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Uhler View Post
                            Don't use it to drive rebar pins or all thread and it'll last you a long time.
                            So, lemme get this straight...after going out and spending between $100-$250.00 on a hammer. ON A HAMMER!

I THEN have to go out and buy ANOTHER hammer to be able to hammer something that I need to hammer but don't want to hammer with my other hammer.

Okayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy, does anybody else find this scenario to be just a little freakin' silly?

Also, titanium will deform much easier than good quality steel, such as Vaughan, Hart, etc...
                            "I'll bend over backwards to help anybody, but I ain't bending over forwards for nobody"

Paul

Comment

I thought we were not supposed to comment on that,just answer straight or curved..see post #8
                              Allen Colburn
                              Pascoag RI

Comment

Working...
                              X