Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anchor Bolt Hole size

Hey guys

HO asked me to add some 5/8" galv anchor bolts in the garage. Planning on using epoxy and drilling a 3/4" hole. Is that the diameter?

Sorry, it's been years since I've done this and I just couldn't remember.

Thanks
    Tim
    Nothing simple is ever easy

Re: Anchor Bolt Hole size

That's it. Make sure you have your bottle brush and your long-nose blowgun to clean out the holes.
    Bailer Hill Construction, Inc. - Friday Harbor, WA
    Website - Facebook

Comment

Yeah, we always oversize by 1/8 and make sure that hole is clean. Use the same for holes in plates to go over anchor bolts, 1/8 inch bigger.
      Rob
      O'Brien and Sons Construction
      Swansboro NC

Comment

I've had better luck with the Simpson system rather than the generic ones.
        You will ask what goal the U.S. is pursuing? .... their external debt is huge, and ruining other countries is their customary method. Even ownership of the global 'printing press' is no longer helping. Nor is full control over NATO, None of that if enough for the 21st century colonizers. They don't just need to preserve the dollar as the only global currency but also to get their hands on the economic wealth of other large powers and regions. - Sergei Naryshkin

Comment

We've had so much trouble with epoxy anchors being done poorly that they require a separate inspection of the hole.

Comment

We use the Hilti Epoxy, but the new stuff I think allows for a bigger hole. If you want I can check this out.
            www.Pioneerbuildersonline.com
            http://instagram.com/awesomeframers
            http://www.youtube.com/user/Raftercutter

Comment

Thanks guys. I remember having to get seperate inspections in the Oakland/Bereley area.

Thanks again
              Tim
              Nothing simple is ever easy

Comment

Tim:

The code calls for special inspections, it also calls for special inspections before pouring piers and masonry CBU wall lift pours, but I've been successful in talking the municipal inspectors into doing the special inspections, the only things I haven't been able to talk them into doing are PT slab inspections. They say it depends on their work loads, if you have the holes cleaned out and everything ready to go so they can watch the carpenter do a couple they sign it off.
                You will ask what goal the U.S. is pursuing? .... their external debt is huge, and ruining other countries is their customary method. Even ownership of the global 'printing press' is no longer helping. Nor is full control over NATO, None of that if enough for the 21st century colonizers. They don't just need to preserve the dollar as the only global currency but also to get their hands on the economic wealth of other large powers and regions. - Sergei Naryshkin

Comment

Thttp://www.simpsonanchors.com/catalog/mechanical/titen-hd/index.htmlim,
                  Simpson makes atiten bolts basicly a lag bolt for concrete. We have been using these in place of epoxy anchors w/ struc. eng. aproval.
                  Just drill the hole install bolt done deal. check them out.

Steve.
                  12 Hours is only 1/2 a day

Comment

I've seen those at the lumber counter recently. What are you driving them with?
                    Bailer Hill Construction, Inc. - Friday Harbor, WA
                    Website - Facebook

Comment

David,
                      1/2" drive elec. impact sends them home no problem.

Steve
                      12 Hours is only 1/2 a day

Comment

We've put in a few of those Simpson Titen screws and they did work really well. I just used a 1/2" ratchet because I didn't feel like rounding up the impact.

They sucked the lumber tight to the concrete; what more can you ask for?

Adam
                        www.bluedivideinc.com

Comment

If you haven't installed yet, make sure you check the manufacturers recommendations. Hilti (imho, the best) shows an 11/16" bit for a 5/8" threaded rod.

Also, if you are at all concerned about the hole cleaning, see if you can get the Hilti HIT-TZ rods and HY-150 injection adhesive. The HIT-TZ rods do _not_ require that the hole be cleaned! Seriously. Drill the hole, drop in the anchor to make sure the depth is correct (And tamp down any dust in the bottom), pull the anchor, fill the hole with adhesive and set the bolt. You can even set it if the hole is full of water (though they recommend filling the hole full with adhesive from the bottom to displace the standing water)

I think Hilti is squirelly about selling their products, so they're not available in big box stores (which almost certainly means a higher cost per piece). In my (admittedly) limited personal experience, their products and equipment are very good and easy to work with. As an engineer, their literature and support is absolutly top notch. Depending on how difficult and expensive they are to obtain, it might be a nice option to have in your back pocket.

*warning*

The code has changed regarding anchors in concrete in high seismic regions. If you are in seismic design category C-F, take a look at the following information from Lucas Floriani of Hilti:

" "There are no concrete screw anchor or adhesive anchors on the market with code reports that meet the criteria of either AC193 or AC308."

There are however 5 reports of expansion and undercut anchors which meet the requirements of AC193 and are compliant with both the 1997 UBC [thus the 2001 CBC] as well as the 2000 and 2003 IBC. 4 of the 5 products comply with all seismic design categories A-F and are acceptable for use in cracked concrete. The fifth is only approved for SDC A & B and non-seismic applications.

These 5 products in order of issue date are:

Hilti Kwik Bolt TZ Expansion Anchor ESR 1917
                          Hilti HSL-3 Heavy Duty Expansion Anchor ESR 1545
                          Hilti HDA Undercut Anchor ESR 1546
                          USP DUC Undercut Anchor ESR 1970
                          ITW Red Head Trubolt Expansion Anchor ESR 2251 [SDC A&B only, uncracked concrete]

These reports can be downloaded from the ICC website at www.icc-es.org

It is important to note that although all post-installed anchors [concrete screw, adhesive, undercut, and expansion] analyzed under the legacy criteria AC01, AC58, and AC106 have been stripped of their moderate and high seismic recognition [SDC C-F] in concrete base materials as of January 1, 2007, that the 5 products listed above can be used to comply with the current requirements of the CBC 2001 for seismic use."
                          Disclaimer: I am a structural engineer, but I'm not your structural engineer. Check with a local PE before you try anything I suggest.

Comment

Jordan:

I am under CBC in Seismic Zone IV and wonder about your statement:
                            Also, if you are at all concerned about the hole cleaning, see if you can get the Hilti HIT-TZ rods and HY-150 injection adhesive. The HIT-TZ rods do _not_ require that the hole be cleaned!
                            All the special inspectors here, including municipal inspectors agreeing to make the special inspections, seem to only be concerned with hole cleaning, that's all they ever look at so I wonder if special inspection would even be required? I have to wonder how many accept the Hilti HIT-TZ without cleaning even when presented with the manufacturers' installation instructions? Before attempting to use them, I think I would run it past the CBO first and have him OK it on the plans by initialing a statement to that effect.

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Seibert View Post
                              Jordan:

I am under CBC in Seismic Zone IV and wonder about your statement:

All the special inspectors here, including municipal inspectors agreeing to make the special inspections, seem to only be concerned with hole cleaning, that's all they ever look at so I wonder if special inspection would even be required? I have to wonder how many accept the Hilti HIT-TZ without cleaning even when presented with the manufacturers' installation instructions? Before attempting to use them, I think I would run it past the CBO first and have him OK it on the plans by initialing a statement to that effect.

It's not a bad idea. I'm sure if you're in a pretty dense area you could probably convince your rep to visit the CBO on their next swing through town. You could also consider getting the IBC speical inspection done. SIs should NOT be done by the building official, but by a licensed PE with specific training and experience. A muni inspector agreeing to do a SI is just asking for a lawsuit to be brought against the municipality. They are simply not qualified (with exceedingly few exceptions), and even if they are it results in an increased liability.

Real special inspectors should go by the manufacturers instructions and specifications.
                              Disclaimer: I am a structural engineer, but I'm not your structural engineer. Check with a local PE before you try anything I suggest.

Comment

Working...
                              X