Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Eyebrow porch roof and barrel vault ceiling

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eyebrow porch roof and barrel vault ceiling

I already built this one once, and am working on a deal to build another copy of it. The fun part of the frameup was the porch part, shown in the attached pics and Sketchup file.

The top roof part has a 20' underside R., with 9' R. fillets. As can be seen in the model and photo, the underside is a plain barrel vault, and strip lighting in that step, does a knockout job of night lighting inside the room.

I did the model in Sketchup, as an exercise, having previously done the model in a higher-powered 3D CAD package.

All those curved rib parts are bandsawn from 2x sawn lumber stock, and the patterns are first plotted full-sized on paper using an engineering plotter, then stuck onto the stock using 3M spray adhesive. The plots are generated from the CAD files.
    Attached Files

Re: Eyebrow porch roof and barrel vault ceiling

Here's the SU file. I only modeled the hard part, which is the porch and its roof. The rest of the house is all just cut and paste stuff.
    Attached Files

Comment

If you don't have SU, here ya go.
      Attached Files

Comment

Looks like fun stuff Bob. We never do anything like that around here ... I'm going to have to jump ship to find a challenge.
        How about sloping the dormer ridgeline and having purlins intersect ("layover" style) the slope of a main roof?
        Last edited by Joe Bartok; 11-03-2006, 08:38 AM.
        "I cannot teach anyone anything; I can only make them think." - Socrates

Comment

Nice!!!!!!!!!
          Just riding down the road throwing chicken bones out.

Comment

Here it is with its hip corners and the array of lay-ons that go up and over the eyebrow with its fillets.
            Attached Files

Comment

that's some nice crap there!

I'd be Slightly concerned on the R value, but I live in the polar north and that stuff crosses my mind often..
              Sterling

--------------
              A lost battle is a battle one thinks one has lost.
              Jean-Paul Sartre

Comment

Working...
              X