Adjusting Rough Framing quote when SIPS are used

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adjusting Rough Framing quote when SIPS are used

Does anyone have a good formula for taking into consideration using SIPS. Typically there is roughly a 40 to 60 percent savings when using SIPS to frame a home. When you talk to a framer they just provide a per square foot price depending on size of home. (EX. $10.00 per square foot for 2000 SF home = $20,000.00 where contractor supplies all materials). I recently built a custom home for my family in Malvern, PA about 30 minutes West of Philadelphia. Last year the SIP company asked to become there sales rep for this part of the country (PA NJ DE MD OH NY). What I have found when talking with framers they do not have a way to offer any savings, including my home. There just charge you a square foot price.

Thanks
    John

Hi John and welcome to the forum. Please let us know your connection to the construction biz. Are you a builder? Customer/homeowner?
    It's not clear to me what you are asking. If your framer is unwilling to give you a lower price for SIPS, then you can either pay his price or try to find another framer. Not sure what a "formula" would do for you.

Comment

dgbldr Initially I started out as someone homeowner interested in building my new home with SIPS. I did my research and settled on a SIP manufacturer. We completed counteraction in Fall of 2013 and about 2 years later the manufacturer asked me to be there sales rep in my part of the US. Malvern PA. My first 2 projects were commercial and builder already had their own crews. The last one was wrapping a 200 year old barn with SIPS and then adding a 60 x 87 foot addition which when complete became a winery at the local Renaissance Faire in PA. Recently I have been receiving Requests to Bid from two local commercial builders. When bidding theses projects they request installation to be included so I need to provide the lowest install price as possible. I would be glad to share some pictures of winery project.

Thanks,
      John
      Last edited by EnerPA; 07-14-2017, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by EnerPA View Post
        I have been receiving Requests to Bid from two local commercial builders. When bidding theses projects they request installation to be included so I need to provide the lowest install price as possible.
        This is a business issue rather than construction. If you want to be a seller/dealer/rep but not an installer, then you must find a sub to do the installations for you at a competitive cost. Or you could choose to decline the installation part.
        If I were to give you a "formula" to use for bidding, it wouldn't do you any good unless you can find a sub to actually do the work for that cost. So the cost has to come from your sub. If you can't find a sub to do the work at the cost you seek, then you don't have a viable business model.

Comment

Don't know if this helps.
          I've been building with SIPs for 25 years and for residential projects I figure the extra cost for panels is balanced out by faster install. On other projects I go by how many days it'll take.
          Have never given anyone a sq.ft. Price for anything but wood floors.

Comment

Working...
          X