Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Timberframe Post Spacing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timberframe Post Spacing

I am in the process of estimating a job on a timber frame built in the 1800's. The customers want me replace all of the cedar shingles on the front, new windows, add sheathing, and add insulation. At this point, nothing really structural is going to be done. Timber frames are not normal for me to work on at all.

So, my question is this: Should I expect any consistency with post spacing? With adding insulation and sheathing, and not having access to the frame itself, what should I expect, maybe the unexpected? I figure I may have to add studs to make the sheathing work out, but I was just hoping maybe 4' O.C. was normal.
    Last edited by Jason Laws; 04-22-2016, 05:59 PM.
    Jason Laws
    Plain In Maine
    Amity, Maine
    plaininmaine.houzz.com

" ... I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock: And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock" (Matthew 7:24-25 KJV).

Jason,

I thinking more like 8' to 16' on center for the post. Aren't the rafters expose on the inside of the house? Then with purlins in between the rafters?

Sim
    Elucidation of the stuff is self evident
    http://www.sbebuilders.com/tools
    http://www.raftertools.com/
    http://www.raftertools.com/iPhone/plus/

Comment

Originally posted by sbebuilders View Post
      Jason,

I thinking more like 8' to 16' on center for the post. Aren't the rafters expose on the inside of the house? Then with purlins in between the rafters?

Sim
      Sim, thanks for your thoughts. I think that I have been focusing too much on the outside without looking inside, as much. This house doesn't have as much exposed framing as some do, because it gets pounded by the north wind. So, much drywall inside - kind of inconsistent what is covered and where. I should check upstairs, where some of the rafters are exposed. In timer framing, do the rafters usually sit right over the post or is it more like modern framing - 16" O.C. walls, 24" O.C. trusses / rafters, for example?

Again, I just want to prepare myself for what I will find......if I get the job.
      Jason Laws
      Plain In Maine
      Amity, Maine
      plaininmaine.houzz.com

" ... I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock: And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock" (Matthew 7:24-25 KJV).

Comment

Jason,
        Not sure if you have access to a thermal camera, but that would let you see what the framing situation is.
        "American political opportunities are heavily loaded against those who are simultaneously intelligent and honest" --Richard Dawkins

Comment

Originally posted by JayNos View Post
          Jason,
          Not sure if you have access to a thermal camera, but that would let you see what the framing situation is.
          That is a really great idea.....but I don't have a thermal camera. That is on my I-wish-I-had- that list.

I ended up getting the job, so it should be interesting. This wall hasn't been opened up since it was built, so who knows what I will find lurking in the walls.....
          Jason Laws
          Plain In Maine
          Amity, Maine
          plaininmaine.houzz.com

Comment

Working...
          X