Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Romex in EMT Conduit

Hi,
    Working on a commercial remodel and much of the the existing electrical was is conduit. Lots of j-boxes and straight shots or real easy bends and plenty of room for romex in much of it. Romex all over the job as well. A recent job got hung up as the "lead" insisted romex could NOT be run in conduit and we had to wait on the single wires. Mumbled something about heat build up and not code. I said fine and questioned it no further but am still curious if this is so.

So..Can you run romex safely and to code in conduit? I've seen it and done it but is it right?

Thanks,

Warren

Comment

Re: Romex in EMT Conduit

Thanks,

Yes it seems un practical to use it but if in a pinch and it's at your feet I've always done so. Much easier to pull 12ga THHN than 12ga romex around a corner.

I wonder if the 8" rule would apply since the romex is fully contained and un able to be pulled out?

Thanks,

WA

Comment

>>Note that you cannot use Romex outdoors even if inside a conduit so don't even think of such a thing.

Comment

i dont think romex can be in emt ...one of the reasons is 334.30-nec-...'shall be secured...at 4 1/2 foot intervals'....the emt will protect...but will not allow for securing...

Comment

Comment

Warren:
              I've seen it done too, but I'd never do it. Romex is not designed to dissipate heat in a constricted space. It might work fine, but it is going to be derated at least slightly. Might as well do the job right. It's usually simple enough to go pick up some THHN, if I don't have what I need on the wire caddy.
              aaron

Comment

Working...
              X