Help!!!Bifold Doors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!!!Bifold Doors

Wthin the past month, I have come across 2 customers with bifold doors with openings of 90", doors being aprx.87 3/4". Of course no 6 panels are available in these deminsions w.o. special ordering. My question: is anyone else finding these, if so do you special order or close the opening down to fit a 80" and are these openings just part of New Jersey's charm or is this a national thing? Kind of new at this so any input would be great
    Thanks for your time
    Tim

Re: Help!!!Bifold Doors

Are these doors for a closet or for a opening between rooms? It it is for the latter, and they would consider french doors, maybe you could install fixed sidelights on each side of the opening, and then use bifolds inbetween, in dimensions that don't require special ordering. (kind of like a front entrance door with sidelights). Just an idea, not knowing the application of the original bi-folds.

Comment

your talking about height

right?

the lumber company should be able to order you some

yes it will cost more but it will look like they belong there instead of a patch job of using a smaller door and filling in above

Comment

Tim,
        In answer to your first question: No, I don't think that 90" openings are becoming a new fad, at least I've never seen stock doors that size.

In answer to your second question: I'd have to see the house, too. What's the molding like around the doors? Could that opening be made to look a little more dramatic? Like some overdoor trim? That's me, always trying to save a drywall patch and add a fancy molding application: A small frieze board above the casing; a small cornice on top. Hmmmm....

Gary

Comment

Both customers houses were built by the same builder mid 80's.
          In the second house all four sets of bifolds are either closet or pantry, with currently no trim on sides or top. Was going to trim out to match other doorways in house. Customer is related to another customer, who is equally a great customer, so we are looking to do the best we can for them. I want to explore all possabilites. Thanks
          Tim

Comment

We used to be able to get a lot of stile-and-rail doors in 7/0's, too, but I see from looking through the catalogues that there aren't that many styles available in 7/0 heights anymore. However, you might check suppliers in your area, anyway, just in case.
            It is beginning to sound like a case for custom doors. They're really not THAT much more money, especially with mdf panels and poplar stiles and rails.

Gary

Comment

I mis-sized the openings for my daughter's doors.

I had 3-1/2" walls with wall board and bull nose around the openings.

A simple 3/4"x3-1/2" board lowered the top enough for us.

Put in a decoration at the top and live with it. Most details are ignored after they are built anyway.

Comment

george
                tim wood have two use a 10 inch board to fill in this area.

AND MOST DETAILS ARE IGNORED?!?!?!?!?!?!

MAYBE IN YOUR HOUSE

It is my attention to fine details that get me recomended to the next job

If i did not pay attention to detail I might as well just use my hatchet to trim a door to fit an opening

phil

Comment

Tim ---

My intent was not to say that appearance does not matter but the details do not matter.

You have a 10" inch drop

1) lower the header, wallboard, and paint

2) fill the space with a 3-1/2" x 10" wood panel that resembles the door panels (either 1 panel across the width or panels that match the door panels in width).

3) put a glass panel above the doors

4) frame in with 2-1/2" stock, wall board and paint to match the room

...) put in a 10" false floor.

Comment

would it not be easier just to order the custom door and install it??

more than likely cheaper when you add all the labor to modify the existing opening

it also says they want to do the BEST for the customer and unless the customer says he wants smaller doors, I would replace them with one that fit.

Comment

Replacing the doors with made to order doors
                      would also have the least impact on your customers
                      house. Less dust,sawdust, painting, sheetrock, foot traffic in and out of the house. Instead of several days of impact, probably just one.

Comment

Tim/Gary:

Had a set of plans recently where the architect called out 7o doors in strange places such as closets (including a 2o hall closet) with no obvious benefit that I could detect, in a house with 10 foot ceilings throughout but with standard height doors for all passages. Turned out he couldn't detect a logical reason either, so we changed them all to 80" with the customer's blessing. Don't know if that is any indication of a fad (I'm in S. Texas) or just some new madness on the part of the architect community.

I checked on custom doors and Gary's right, they were not THAT expensive. But still, why bother if it doesn't really add anything to the project?

Reinforces my opinion of architects in general: make good base for burrying lawyers.

CX

Comment

Thanks all for all the insight. Met with customer today, and we are special ordering the doors, 87 3/4" tall. Unfortunately supplier is asking for 28 day lead, but customer wants full access to closet rather then close it in. While it almost doubles the price of the doors, if it pleases the customer, then its the best thing to do.
                          Regards,
                          Tim

Comment

Working...
                          X