Announcement

Collapse

ALERT - Threads Not Displaying

A large number of threads from the last 12 months are no longer displaying in the individual Forums. The technical team is aware of the problem and we are working to resolve it. We apologize for the inconvenience. Thank you for your patience.
See more
See less

Kapex armature successfully replaced

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kapex armature successfully replaced

Guys - what is going on with this forum ???? this will be the only new thread in over a week !!!! The pop up ads are really getting annoying to the point i don't want to bother checking in here - guessing that is a common feeling out there ???

JLC management you might want to rethink your advertising strategy!

So, the point of the post-
    My Kapex went down AGAIN , same problem as 2 years ago where the motor would not get up to full rpm and slight burnt smell.

Talked to Lester at Festool and he sent me out a electronic oontrol module since i was convinced it was the darn speed control feature. Well, that did not fix the problem so he next sent me an armature, brushes and bearings. I took her apart and replaced the armature (not an easy job but doable if your mechanically inclined) and she is back up and running.

Props to Festool for working with me on this since i was just out of the 3 year waranty BUT it is totally ridiculous to have to go thru this AGAIN.

Some day there will be an explanation as to WHY this is happening (not a widespread problem by any stretch but I am not the only one this has happened to) amd i am convinced it has to do with all the special electronic features and the fact you have two tools(motors) working simultaneously off a circuit that may be less than ideal (lab) conditions. But, those of us here that make a living with tools know that that is the REAL world in which we work everyday.

M Smith

Re: Kapex armature successfully replaced

Not one ad here, must be my virus protection blocking them all.

JLC has never been a very busy place, maybe 10plus years ago, but not these days.

Glad to hear your saw is back in action. I'll stick with two saws for the price of one Kapex. Can't seem to go wrong with that.
    Gary

Comment

No popups here either. Chrome and AdBlock Plus.

Comment

i could see the two tool thing being a problem .but what about cords ,could cords be to small .
        there is a way to check the electric draw . put a splitter in line .then when you run the tool watch the voltage drop .when you first turn it on it will drop .my electrician gave me a safe range of drop but not sure how he phrased it anymore .figure check it by checking a few places and do a comparison if a place is to low should show up .
        i was on one jobsight -tablesaw wouldn't turn on and my mitersaw got loud ,agriculture area .i was told voltage dropped when a lot of pumps came on .tablesaw worked when i got home but took awhile for mitersaw to stop whining .oh yeah cost me over 200$ to fix compressor ,bummer because compressor was probable not worth it .

Comment

I just don't get it. How a guy can ruin an expensive saw like that one. I have had probably 15 different miter saws over the years and have yet to burn one out or have any problems. I replace them because the first ones I bought were 8 inch that mitered only, went to something else from Craftsman that I was never satisfied with, bought some at garage sales for framing work and then passed on to a friend for his occassional work around the house. Have had a 10 inch Rigid that was probably a $199 saw 10 years ago and a 12 inch Dewalt that is going on close to 10 years old. Both run like champs, only change the blades yearly if that often. Sure not a trim carpenter but still....

Comment

beezo, I'm finishing up on a 50k bath and you should have seen the saw I used to cut the miters for the window and door, an old broken down Dewalt 10" saw. Still cuts fine with a decent blade. Not the most accurate but with a little Kentucky Windage it does just fine. Just didn't feel like lugging the heavier Makita into the truck that day.

Plus when I drop it off the truck all you need to do is wack the fence with a hammer to bring it back into alignment.
            Gary

Comment

Originally posted by m beezo View Post
              I just don't get it. How a guy can ruin an expensive saw like that one. ....
              Both run like champs, only change the blades yearly if that often. Sure not a trim carpenter but still....
              Beez, c'mon. He's a woodworker. You admit you change blades yearly, so that says a lot. I did a stair job recently that had me cutting oak treads for 2 sets of stairs, oak handrails for one stair and a balcony, and approx 60LF oak landing tread. And the oak flooring for 3 landings, and by the end of the job my new 60T Forrest blade was starting to loose its edge.

Hardwoods put a lot more stress on a saw.

Tom
              1) Unconsciously Incompetent: He knows not, and knows not that he knows not. He is a fool. Shun him.
              2) Consciously Incompetent: He knows not, and knows that he knows not. He is simple. Teach him.
              3) Unconsciously Competent: He knows, and knows not that he knows. He is asleep. Wake him.
              4) Consciously Competent: He knows, and knows that he knows. He is wise. Follow him.

May we all endeavor to progress from not knowing that we know not, to knowing that we know.

Comment

M Beezo,

I've had a similar history as yours- working with power tools since i was 14/15 and im now 50 !!!! been thru at least 10 miter saws (Hitachi was my favorite after trying many brands) and never had one have a motor go out !!!!! Guess what, not one of them had speed control or constant speed under load- so, my gut instinct points me to all those extra UNNECESSARY electronic features. I did run my Hitachi with my CT22 for a long time before i got the Kapex and never had an issue. Oh ya, I am a professional finish carpenter/cabinet maker/architectural millwork producer and am anal and have the patience to do very high end work. Point is i know how to take care of my good (expensive) tools and know the feel and sounds of power tools to know when to back off a cut or similar. My Kapex road in the passenger seat under a moving blanket for the first few months !!!!! what does that tell you ???

So, to answer your question: "How can a guy ruin an expensive saw like that one??? I DONT FREAKING KNOW !!!!!!!! WHAT I DO KNOW IS IT AIN'T OPERATOR ERROR FOR DANG SURE !!!!!!

M Smith
                Last edited by M Smith; 12-08-2014, 11:17 PM. Reason: thought it but forgot to write it !

Comment

Originally posted by TSJHD1 View Post
                  Beez, c'mon. He's a woodworker.

Hardwoods put a lot more stress on a saw.

Tom
                  That is part of the reason I don't understand why these saws seem to have some of the issues that get mentioned. I would think that Festool would know that these are not the saws to be used by the casual woodworker like me and that they are not going to get used to cut a bunch of fireblocking for a job. Yes you heard right. That is one of the jobs the little 10 inch saw has done for me on several jobs-cut multiple 2x4 into 14 1/2 inch blocks.

Those saws should be able to handle a lot of work in hardwoods and I would think they should be able to last more than 2 years. That is all I am saying.

Comment

what i learned was usually the brake burns up 1st when it is starved for electricity .actually might have read it in this or the other magizine . it was after reading that ,one of those hulking saws they used to make .big expense for me then .i get hired by these guys who made it clear how skilled they were and i would be learning from them . i did not know as much as i thought but they did not know near what they thought ,
                    so brake burns up on miter saw ,i was bummed .then i am putting in lags with a corded impact and it smokes /and dies.i was thinking it was due to being old or cheap .then i remembered the the thing about the saw brake and starved elect .went rooting around the place the jobsight was plugging in .there was a 3-way hooked into one of those 18g 75' cords used for a homeowners garden lights or something .I quit them then . I learned an expensive big lesson that week .
                    so that is how you can burn up a saw .
                    Last edited by joseph; 12-09-2014, 09:29 AM. Reason: needed more info

Comment

Joseph,
                      you are right about ext cords being a cause for motor failure. The CTvacs all have extra long thick cords built in just for that purpose, so you DONT NEED AN EXT. CORD. Festool (all tool manuf.) all have specific info about what cord size is allowable for a particular tool. #12gauge wire in an ext. cord should be the min for most of your power tools, #14 only for small tools like a small orbital sander and the like. Length of cord is a factor too. How many other tools being used on any given circuit also.

I NEVER use an ext. cord for the Kapex/CT set up- ALWAYS plugged directly into an outlet. There is the issue - we assume any outlet we plug into is sufficient, which 95% of the time it is. Unless you carry a volt meter and ck it though, you do not know for sure. Never had to do that in all the years(30+) ive been in the trades.

M Smith

Comment

Yup, the pop ups are an annoyance.
                        Visit www.peercon.com

Comment

Originally posted by M Smith View Post
                          Unless you carry a volt meter and ck it though,
                          M Smith
                          Might be a good idea. You can get a Kill-A-Watt, it's cheap enough and easy to carry around. Plug it at the tool end of extension cord (if any). Then have someone watch it while you're cutting the hardest material you intend to use at that location. Takes only a few seconds. You can also read the current draw, that will give you a hint if there is something odd with the tool.

Aside from extension cords, some buildings have poor or overly long wiring. If you have a couple hundred feet of #14 house wiring (between receptacle and panel) with a bunch of poor connections, you can get a fairly high resistance and drop.

Comment

Hey guys, it's been a while since i've posted on JLC. Unfortunately, i'm reviving this old thread I started back at the end of 2014 ! well, it happened again - Kapex motor died on me yesterday !!! "Third time's the charm" as they say. I did a quick search on "FOG" and there are guys that are on their fourth motor !!! so, i don't feel as bad. The "FOG" Administrator posted that "Festool is taking a serious look at the problem from all angles" (or something to that affect) - well, a small conciliation to know they finally acknowledge there is a "problem" ??? I didn't think that would happen. My gut feeling is still telling my the problem is tied to the speed control feature. As i've stated in previous posts, I've had probably at least 10 miter saws over the years before the Kapex and not one had a motor failure !!!! guess what, none of them had speed control. Coincidence ??? I do not think so.
                            M Smith

Comment

Thanks for the update. You noted in 2014 that this site was not very active. I think it's even slower now. Are you giving up on the Kapex? Or...?
                              ---Jerry

Try to learn from other people's mistakes---you'll never have time to make them all yourself

Comment

Working...
                              X