Pulling trim from plaster? Should I?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pulling trim from plaster? Should I?

I am reno'ing a house - but that means pulling baseboard trim from plaster walls and I am not sure how to handle it. I have to paint the walls and I was thinking about replacing the baseboards while I was at it, but others have told me that it is too much work with the spiral nails in the plaster (baseboard trim) causing all kinds of headaches when they are removed...
    The house is from 1963.
    Any suggestions are welcome.

Re: Pulling trim from plaster? Should I?

Sorry, I just read it was professionals only. My mistake.

Comment

Nate, a fine reply, so some advice.

Don't take a seemingly cheap quote from an out of town builder. Use a local builder who knows the "quirks" of local building techniques and methods
      Limey Carpenter

Comment

Also check for lead paint. You may need to be doing RRP.
        HERS Rater • BPI Building Analyst • BPI Envelope Professional
        Certified Green Building Professional • Certified Existing Home Advisor
        General Building Contractor • Asbestos Certification • Hazardous Substance Removal Certification • EPA Approved Lead-Safe Contractor • Locksmith
        PMP • ESEP • CISSP

Comment

Originally posted by BeachBoy View Post
          Also check for lead paint. You may need to be doing RRP.
          Unless it's his own house. Although it would be a good idea in any case...
          No brains, no headaches

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by netrate View Post
            I am reno'ing a house - but that means pulling baseboard trim from plaster walls and I am not sure how to handle it. I have to paint the walls and I was thinking about replacing the baseboards while I was at it, but others have told me that it is too much work with the spiral nails in the plaster (baseboard trim) causing all kinds of headaches when they are removed...
            The house is from 1963.
            Any suggestions are welcome.
            any pic's?
            one way is to cover the molding with a custom and similar profile.
            you can go to a local mill work place or after posting a pic. I can give you more advice.

I know is only for pro's but this is an interesting thread and may help few pro's.
            thanks
            dino

Comment

Originally posted by ycf dino View Post
              any pic's?
              one way is to cover the molding with a custom and similar profile.
              you can go to a local mill work place or after posting a pic. I can give you more advice.

I know is only for pro's but this is an interesting thread and may help few pro's.
              thanks
              dino
              Dino, are you a pro? Either way this is a forum for professionals only... so follow the rules Dino.
              ~Kent~

Comment

He calls himself a pro, but he is really just a liberal slave of the MSM
                Josh O.

"If people knew how hard I worked to achieve my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful after all. "

- Michelangelo-

Comment

Originally posted by Kent Brobeck View Post
                  Dino, are you a pro? Either way this is a forum for professionals only... so follow the rules Dino.
                  Kent,
                  I know but...this is a good problem solving thread.
                  breaking the rules for a good outcome is OK?

tx

d

Comment

Originally posted by jobercian View Post
                    He calls himself a pro, but he is really just a liberal slave of the MSM
                    keep in mind that I started working in construction at age 12.
                    making and installing plaster moldings.

last job was a historic cathedral in Elizabeth NJ.
                    a small room 15x20 total restoration for over K125.
                    imagine having 10 jobs lined up and waiting ( some for over a year) for your crew?
                    imagine starting jobs without any estimates?

Best thing you can do is to learn few tricks and stay away from competition.
                    plastering and moldings restorations are very profitable.

No. I'm not a Pro by the books and normal ways.
                    A PRO-LEARNER sounds much better to me. ;)

tx
                    d

Comment

Originally posted by ycf dino View Post
                      Kent,
                      I know but...this is a good problem solving thread.
                      breaking the rules for a good outcome is OK?

tx

d
                      Dino, how so? The guy is considering pullin the base in a house that's 49 years old. How tuff is that? Unless he wants to upgrade the profile why bother?
                      ~Kent~

Comment

Originally posted by Kent Brobeck View Post
                        Dino, how so? The guy is considering pullin the base in a house that's 49 years old. How tuff is that? Unless he wants to upgrade the profile why bother?
                        Kent,
                        If the plaster is not solid and when installing new molding we have a potential for disaster.

IF the profile allows, better not to remove the old moldings.
                        1/8", 3/16" or eve 1/4" solid wood lamination without nails ( VHB tape)
                        and the job is done eliminating few problems.

Just an easy thought but you need a custom millwork shop to make the right stuff and
                        make it look like solid moldings with a small design effort.
                        tx'

d

Comment

one trick to keep the plaster in place "keyed" when replacing doors, windows, molding...
                          drill few 1/4" holes around the door and spray foam.
                          that helps to keep the "keys" locked to the lath and avoid loose plaster.
                          drill through moldings to avoid holes in visible places..

in other cases where you have to pull door frames best to secure the areas around the door
                          by pressing rigid foal against the wall.
                          you can make strips of foam and 1x4"s and screw them to the wall.
                          plaster cracks very easy but if you apply pressure you can easily
                          cut the walls without any damage.

tx

Comment

Dino, if you are truly a pro learner?

You seem to make the assumption that all crown moulding is wood. Whilst that is a good assumption in North America. It isn't the same across the planet

Here in England most coving is plaster, the best quality high end work in this style is done by Italian and some Greek run companies and has been so for at least 150 years

EDIT and just to bowl throw you a "googly"............. a cricket term

It is similar to a curve ball in baseball, but a googly is far more difficult to read. The bowler in cricket (pitcher in baseball) makes it look as if the ball will spin right, in fact the ball spins left.

Really high end skirting is plaster
                            Last edited by Tom Bainbridge; 03-18-2012, 03:56 PM.
                            Limey Carpenter

Comment

Tom, I was making and installing plaster moldings before even high school.

My Boss was a famous Anarchist and he follow
                              his philosophy to the trade.
                              Fun times.
                              Nobody liked him because he made it easy to install plaster.
                              small nails on the corners, a plastic soccer ball cut in half, a small brush
                              and modified surgical knifes.

Good money even back then in my town... Kalamata.
                              I follow the same trade in US and it was a good move.
                              I believe that any carpenter must learn some plastering tricks.
                              I saw carpenters working many hours to fix something that I can have it done in minutes.

Good to learn new tricks every day.
                              As we speak, I learn how to program the cnc's.

It never ends. Don't ask me why.

tx

Comment

Working...
                              X