Kick Back

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kick Back

A friend of mine (wishes to remain anonymous!) sent me these pictures yesterday. They're pretty self explanatory.

He was ripping a thin piece of panel molding on his table saw.

His router was sitting on the workbench right behind him.

Enough said.
    Gary

Re: Kick Back

Here's some closer shots...

I'll let you know if Festool covers this under the warranty. :)
    Gary

Comment

Well, the pics can't be from Kreg- the tablesaw wasn't set up in the grass.....lol

Based on what the piece did to that router, imagine what it could have done if he was standing in the line of fire. Can you say "perforated bowel"???

Comment

I guy I used to work with, a concrete foreman, was recovering from a heart attack so they put him on light duty building forms in the yard. He was, alone, ripping cant out of 4/4 on a BIG old 14" table saw when it kicked back and fired a spear of wood (actually a 4x4) that impaled him through the lower gut and out his back. It just missed his spine but messed up the nerves to his legs and intestinal tract in a very serious way say nothing of making a mess of his innards. That was the last day of his working life. He was a tough guy, known for never missing a day of work for any reason. He even came while having his heart attack and had to be sent home. His wife called the ambulance.

Comment

I have seen one through a finished wall, it got both sides. One into the hollow of a CMU, it did not make it all the way through.

Is the router still under warranty?

Tom
          http://chicagocraftsmen.org/2011/06/261.html

Check with the AHJ, what we say doesn't matter.

Comment

Holy crap! That looks nasty. I hope that 1010 recovers.
            I notice there is no riving knife on that saw, could that be the issue?
            I was recently cutting stock that resulted in a narrow piece of stock being left between the fence and the blade. I expected kick back but I think because of the riving knife I didn't experience any.
            Tim
            Making money is art and working is art and good business is the best art.
            Andy Warhol

Comment

Anyone who owns a shop TS should by a stock feeder. And another TS to set up exclusivesly with the stock feeder. I've seen seen those kick backs 200' and thru a cinder block wall. It only takes once.
              there is ALWAYS a better way waiting to be discovered-
              yfc

Comment

My garage shop is about 20 feet deep, tablesaw is centered. Had a piece kickback, bounce off of the back wall and go through through the garage door in front of the saw. That woke me up.
                www.jacksonbuiltcustoms.com

Custom Carpentry, Woodworking, and Remodeling Contractor
                Bucks County Pa.
                Serving Newtown, Upper Makefield, Yardley, New Hope, Solebury

Comment

Dave K... did I understand you correctly that it was a 4"x4" that shot through him? if so that is unbelievable that size...

yep kick back is very dangerous that is why when on job site you have to keep your eyes open for what is behind you at all times..

TIM

I do not think a riving knife will keep a piece from being shot back, in fact it really does not it keeps the saw from binding by pinching... is the main purpose... if I am incorrect let me know

the plastic piece that comes with the saw that we all remove is the main piece that has teeth to stop pieces from being shot back usually
                  Kreg
                  www.builtinking.com
                  youtube channel: builtinsbykreg
                  if you do not have fun every day... why?
                  get up.... get out there..... get going ! rocking all day long
                  remember to give out 10 business cards a day !

Comment

Originally posted by kreg McMahon View Post
                    Dave K... did I understand you correctly that it was a 4"x4" that shot through him? if so that is unbelievable that size...

On the force of the kick back the 4x4 was broken into a spear point with a pointy bit at one end and a 4x4 bit at the back. I didn't witness this but I heard about it from the guys in the yard and read the investigation report on it.

Comment

if you have never had a riving knife on a saw bench

work on the basis a riving knife on a saw makes it FAR FAR safer than one without

im not claiming "no risk", just a massive risk reduction on one that doesnt

edit this is a personal viewpoint
                      Limey Carpenter

Comment

Tom,
                        You are correct. The riving knife helps prevent the kerf from closing on the workpiece at the back of the saw. It also helps prevent either piece from pressing against the back teeth on the blade--it is that contact with the back teeth on the blade that causes kick back.
                        Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Kovacs View Post
                          Well, the pics can't be from Kreg- the tablesaw wasn't set up in the grass.....lol

Based on what the piece did to that router, imagine what it could have done if he was standing in the line of fire. Can you say "perforated bowel"???
                          Nah, skewered shish ka balls.

That must have been a vampire festool. ;-)

Phil
                          It's better to try and fail, than fail to try.

Comment

Rule I learned a long time ago: Never place your body directly in line with a saw blade. Not on a TS, not on a RAS, not even on a sidewinder.

It takes a little discipline, but it's not that hard to stand just a bit offset from the plane of the blade.

Comment

Originally posted by dgbldr View Post
                              Rule I learned a long time ago: Never place your body directly in line with a saw blade. Not on a TS, not on a RAS, not even on a sidewinder.

It takes a little discipline, but it's not that hard to stand just a bit offset from the plane of the blade.

So very true dg, if you ever saw the factories that where set up during WWII with rows of laths. All the machines are offset to protect the worker behind

I have a hole in the shop wall from the very same incident that I never fixed. the sound it made when it hit is what scared me. Like an arrow from a crossbow.

Comment

Working...
                              X