Announcement

Collapse

ALERT - Threads Not Displaying

A large number of threads from the last 12 months are no longer displaying in the individual Forums. The technical team is aware of the problem and we are working to resolve it. We apologize for the inconvenience. Thank you for your patience.
See more
See less

Base moulding size?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Base moulding size?

I'm running base in a house that has 10' ceilings in the more "public" areas like the foyer,living room,dining,etc. It's a 1x8 with 1 3/8" base cap.It looks correct and proportioned in these areas.The "Private" area(bedrooms) is in a wing that is up 3 steps and has an 8' ceiling height,except the MBR that is vaulted.Some of these bedrooms are 12'x12',and the hallway is narrow.

I'm thinking that the base might be a bit large in these areas,Should I consider transitioning down in size,say a 1x6 with base cap?

(the transition itself would not be awkward as it would occur at the top of the steps)
    Big B.

Re: Base moulding size?

Tough call because I think this is subjective. I would prefer the same size everywhere but it has been pointed out by architects that I dont know everything. Can you put a chunk of both and see which looks better?

Is this design-build or can you get an answer from the owner or architect? I hate assuming one thing and having somebody over rule it and have to do it over again.

brad

Comment

I would scale it down, Larger rooms=larger trim, smaller rooms=smaller trim.
      ----------

Robert Padgett
      Roswell, Georgia

Comment

Taller base in the formal areas does lend prominence to those spaces. I usually spec out smaller base in beds and baths.

Comment

Originally posted by bradcas View Post
          ... but it has been pointed out by architects that I dont know everything.
          brad

LOL!

My wife often make the same point to me.

Comment

i would go with a smaller base in those areas also. 1x6 total height would be fine.. and would look better on the 8 foot ceilings. and most of those rooms usually have stuff all along the walls anyway......
            Kreg
            www.builtinking.com
            youtube channel: builtinsbykreg
            if you do not have fun every day... why?
            get up.... get out there..... get going ! rocking all day long
            remember to give out 10 business cards a day !

Comment

Just got my hands on a copy of "Get Your House Right" by Cusato & Pentreath. In it are listed, along with a lot of other things are base heights in relation to ceiling heights.

11' ceiling= 1x8
              10' ceiling= 1x6 3/4
              8' ceiling= 5 1/2
              If you bat 1000 you're playing in the minor leagues.

Warren Buffet

Comment

Originally posted by bradcas View Post
                Is this design-build or can you get an answer from the owner or architect? I hate assuming one thing and having somebody over rule it and have to do it over again.
                brad
                I have free reign on this one...all the glory all the blame.The more mock-ups I do, the more shrugs I get.

Originally posted by Keith Mathewson View Post
                Just got my hands on a copy of "Get Your House Right" by Cusato & Pentreath. In it are listed, along with a lot of other things are base heights in relation to ceiling heights.

11' ceiling= 1x8
                10' ceiling= 1x6 3/4
                8' ceiling= 5 1/2
                I just got my copy recently.Extremely interesting and helpful.I happen to think that 6 3/4" base looks small in a 10' ceiling area.The base in that area is a total of 9" and looks right,I agree it would look quite large in a 8' high room,I'll go smaller.

Typical baseboard heat registers around here are about 9" high(not applicable on this job) and I would not say they look enormous or out of scale.
                Big B.

Comment

I go along with 1x6 and up to a full 6” base for 8’ ceilings. Just as important as the ceiling height is the size of the base in proportion to the casing. 2 1/4 casing gets 3 1/2 base and so on. I like 3 1/2 casing with 5 1/2 to 6” base and 4 1/2 casing for the large base as in one piece 1 x 8 or 1 x 8 with cap. That 1 3/8 cap on the 1 x 8 sounds small to me. The flat area under the cap needs to be in proportion to the cap and shoe, if used. I don’t use a 1/2 x 3/4 shoe on 1 x8 base but scale the shoe to fit the flat area and cap used. When using a taller base in just a few areas, we add a back band to the casing to keep everything looking good. It all has to work together imho.

Comment

Working...
                  X