Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hanging wall cabinets on metal studs

Hi everyone,

I'm hanging cabinets in a commercial office with wall mounted microwaves under the cabinets. Any thoughts on the best way to attach them the walls. The walls are double 5/8 drywall. Any and all help would be appreciated .
    Thanks

Re: Hanging wall cabinets on metal studs

When I worked commercial, we always placed wood blocking between metal studs to hang cabs on. With out blocking in there I think it would be a pretty tough go to get metal studs to hold that weight.

Chad

Comment

The cabs we install have adjustable hooks in the top corners that hang the cab on a metal rail that is screwed to the studs with the help of toggle bolts.
      -The best,most efficiant install method I have come accross.

If it will help,I'll ask at work tomarrow where the hardware can be purchased.

Comment

Just found this site for the hanging rail and adjustable brackets

http://www.cshardware.com/panel_fast...anging_sys.htm

Comment

We use magnets to find the studs, and 3" screws. (double 5/8" as well) You can find these magnets online somewhere, a guy I work with got me mine. But yes, there should be plywood rabetted blocking for your walls. Hit the studs if not, and don't predrill.
          If you do what you always did, you are going to get what you always got.

Comment

Patrick, that's exactly what I was going to say.
            ........that is screwed to the studs with the help of toggle bolts.
            -The best,most efficiant install method I have come accross.
            Al
            www.multiblades.com

Comment

#10 wood screw or #8 lo-roots work fine for light gauge metal framing. (no drywall screws) 3 per stud for uppers. One on the top, one on the bottom then you double up the top screw with another about 4" apart. Any other fasteners or glue that you use are not necessary but if it makes you feel better there's no harm in it.

Comment

My post #'s 3,4 are for if you are working on a commercial instsall and the cabs are P-Lam.
                If the Cabs are custom made wood boxes then I would cut away the sheetrock in 4" strips at your screw hights and infill with ply. Or if you can,Get the G.C.to do it.

Comment

IF it is 25 ga (light) you should cut open the wall and add plywood ( a roto zip and a vacum is the fastest way I have found) so you can screw into the plywood (check to see if it has to be fire-rated $$$). OR you can toggle right thru the stud---- very strong but time consuming. If it is 20 ga or heavier, use a fine thread screw and hit the studs, maybe three screws in each stud. You might want to use a self drilling screw.

I always tend to over do it. I dont want a call back about a cabinet falling of a wall and hurting someone.

bradcas

Comment

Thanks for all the input. I was thinking about using some toggle bolts through the studs to be safe, it is a lot of weight. I appreciate the quick responses to my question, THANKS AGAIN!!!

Comment

We use hook strips (french cleats) on all our installations.
                      2 screws through each stud. Shim the cleat if the wall is
                      bad. Lock the run with a few screws into the upper cleat.
                      (2 cleats for the run, high and low)

Comment

I'm a union carp. working in the commercial end. We use self-drilling screws into the studs or metal backing (if provided). If your studs are the lighter gauge metal then I'd use 3" zinc screws. They have a courser thread than the sef-driling type, although not a course as a drywall screw.

Comment

Get teh framer to install 6" 20 ga. flat strap across the face of the studs. Use ST screws and you should be fine.

ML

Comment

I'm the same as with Hickorywind, Never had a problem with using the french cleats exactly as he described. The magnet helps a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by dave_k View Post
                              #10 wood screw or #8 lo-roots work fine for light gauge metal framing. (no drywall screws) 3 per stud for uppers. One on the top, one on the bottom then you double up the top screw with another about 4" apart. Any other fasteners or glue that you use are not necessary but if it makes you feel better there's no harm in it.
                              Maybe a dumb question.....but why not drywall screws? Not enough holding power into the metal studs? Is the threading to far apart to hold securely?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X