Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Hidden door for "panic" room

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hidden door for "panic" room

I agree. This is in the category of "I can build it for you, but then I have to kill you."
    Bailer Hill Construction, Inc. - Friday Harbor, WA
    Website - Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Toolwhore View Post
      Can I have your tools when your gone? :)
      No problem. Everything is I own is Ryobi and Craftsman.
      Your source for:
      Decks • Deck Design • Porches • Railings • Pergolas in Bergen County New Jersey
      Remodeling and Home Improvements in Bergen County | EPA Approved Lead-Safe Contractor
      Techno Metal Post: Helical Foundation Piles in New Jersey
      Follow us on: Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Comment

Greg,
        They make lots of track that you can attach right to the wall, with clips, hanger, etc. Kind of like barn door track. It's available in different hanging configurations. You can hang some might heavy doors on that stuff, too. Big wheels. I really think that would be THE EASIEST thing in the world to do. Hang the door then build the shelving to hide it. You'll need a bottom track that keeps the door ridgid at the bottom, so it won't pivot away from the shelving. YOu should be able to get the shelving about 1/16 in. from the door, almost so it drags. No one will ever know the door is there.

Gary

Comment

Gary,

So then do you have to move the shelf unit to be able to go in the door? I am thinking that if it is a hidy hole they wouldn't want the drag marks on the floor giving a hint to its location and if you are going to hide yourself in it, you couldn't replace the shelf once you were in.

I would go with your swinging bookcase design instead, but make it look like utility shelving.

Comment

I hadn't though of that. Maybe the area in front of the door should be for hanging clothes. Skoot the clothes back, slide the back panel, and walk through the opening?

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Katz View Post
              Greg,
              They make lots of track that you can attach right to the wall, with clips, hanger, etc. Kind of like barn door track. It's available in different hanging configurations. You can hang some might heavy doors on that stuff, too. Big wheels. I really think that would be THE EASIEST thing in the world to do. Hang the door then build the shelving to hide it. You'll need a bottom track that keeps the door ridgid at the bottom, so it won't pivot away from the shelving. YOu should be able to get the shelving about 1/16 in. from the door, almost so it drags. No one will ever know the door is there.

Gary

Thanks. I will see what Johnson offers. I assume they are the go-to company on this.

Greg
              Your source for:
              Remodeling and Home Improvements in Bergen County | EPA Approved Lead-Safe Contractor

Comment

Greg-I think it would be a National product not Johnson, check the Outwater Hardware catalog they are in Lincoln Park. Where I live it's all over the place, lot's of barns here.

Bob

Comment

After you build it make sure you tip off the police!
                  Robert Robillard
                  www.robertrobillardcarpentry.com
                  www.aconcordcarpentercomments.blogspot.com

Quality means doing it right when no one is looking - Henry Ford

Comment

I never called the guy back. He and his project were just a little too whacky for me.

Since he kept mentioning "Give me the cash price", I'm thinking he was looking for something cheap or, even worse, no paper trail for the project.
                    Your source for:

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Di View Post
                      I never called the guy back. He and his project were just a little too whacky for me.

Since he kept mentioning "Give me the cash price", I'm thinking he was looking for something cheap or, even worse, no paper trail for the project.
                      buffalo bill ring any bells? you could of been the one that "puts the lotion on"
                      S.M.Titmas.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you. You just gotta find the ones worth suffering for."
                      - Bob Marley

Comment

Sounds like he'll end up on AMW with John Walsh someday...
                        "Just the facts ma'am, just the facts"

-I'm here on an official capacity to learn, not take your job.

Comment

This was one of the funniest posts I've read on here! Thanks guys.

I think anyone building this thing would end up having to testify at a criminal (murder) trial later (if they didn't end up behind that door as the first victim...)

Comment

"it puts the lotion in the basket."
                            Robert Robillard
                            www.robertrobillardcarpentry.com
                            www.aconcordcarpentercomments.blogspot.com

Quality means doing it right when no one is looking - Henry Ford

Comment

Working...
                            X